Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Waste heat reclamation drunken rambling #3256

Dump the drains of stuff like shower/tub , dishwasher , etc into a BIG
tank . Let the drain draw from the bottom , where it's coolest . Use the
waste heat supplemented by solar? to heat a thermal storage mass - like a
massive stone feature wall . I HATE to throw heat away in winter !
Especially when it costs me $ .10 a Kw/hr .
--

Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

Snag wrote:
Dump the drains of stuff like shower/tub , dishwasher , etc into a
BIG tank . Let the drain draw from the bottom , where it's coolest
. Use the waste heat supplemented by solar? to heat a thermal
storage mass - like a massive stone feature wall . I HATE to throw
heat away in winter ! Especially when it costs me $ .10 a Kw/hr .

Get one of these.
http://www.ecobuildingpulse.com/heat...the-drain.aspx

Senior Member

I think a better way to salvage the heat is to pump that gray water through plastic tubing in the floor similar to a floor heating system. In my mind, such a system could never be used to heat a house, but would simply reduce the demands on the house's conventional heating system, thereby saving money for the homeowner.

New warm water could be added by a second higher pressure pump and a pressure relief valve somewhere on the tubing could dump exactly the same amount of cooler older water into the drain or perhaps a large storage tank for flushing toilets.

The problems, however would be in the practical considerations and the economics. Food particles and the cooking oil/water emulsion from the dish washer and soap scum from the shower/tub would cake up and clog the inside of the tubing. And, of course, buttons, lint, thread and the like from the clothes washer would cause no end of problems with the pump impeller section and cause blockages in the grey water tubing and the pressure relief valve to malfunction. Then, repairing those problems would eat away the accumulated savings.

Last edited by nestork : January 2nd 14 at 07:01 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2014 12:47 AM, nestork wrote:

[...]

I want a fart recovery system since the greenhouse gas coming out of my
tailpipe can be burned in my gas appliances. I thought of activated
charcoal undershorts which could be changed daily and dropped into a gas
recovery unit powered by solar energy or from heating the unit by
burning the gas itself on cloudy days. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 1, 2014 11:53:51 PM UTC-5, Snag wrote:
Dump the drains of stuff like shower/tub , dishwasher , etc into a BIG

tank . Let the drain draw from the bottom , where it's coolest . Use the

waste heat supplemented by solar? to heat a thermal storage mass - like a

massive stone feature wall . I HATE to throw heat away in winter !

Especially when it costs me $ .10 a Kw/hr .

--

Snag

---

Politicians are full of steaming ****. Violently overthrow the US government to reclaim heat.

Beat a Law Professor to death with baseball bats to stop the CIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
Snag wrote:
Dump the drains of stuff like shower/tub , dishwasher , etc into a
BIG tank . Let the drain draw from the bottom , where it's coolest
. Use the waste heat supplemented by solar? to heat a thermal
storage mass - like a massive stone feature wall . I HATE to throw
heat away in winter ! Especially when it costs me $ .10 a Kw/hr .

Get one of these.
http://www.ecobuildingpulse.com/heat...the-drain.aspx

I knew this had to be too good of an idea to be original to me ... that
said , I believe I can build one cheaper than I can buy it - if it is even
available here . And I'll have plenty of space under the house on the
downhill side , where the kitchen will be . I'll bet this in conjunction
with an instant hot water heater would be a great combo !
--
Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2014 11:53 PM, Snag wrote:
Dump the drains of stuff like shower/tub , dishwasher , etc into a BIG
tank . Let the drain draw from the bottom , where it's coolest . Use the
waste heat supplemented by solar? to heat a thermal storage mass - like a
massive stone feature wall . I HATE to throw heat away in winter !
Especially when it costs me $ .10 a Kw/hr .

I shower with the bath tub drain closed.
I open the drain after the water is good
and cold. So, the BTU stay in my home.

Helps cut down on the two gal or so of
water I put in my floor model humidifier.

My Mom's house is desperate dry, in the
winter. I'd like to get her a humidifier,
but that's a whole different project.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

I want a fart recovery system since the greenhouse gas coming out of my
tailpipe can be burned in my gas appliances. I thought of activated
charcoal undershorts which could be changed daily and dropped into a gas
recovery unit powered by solar energy or from heating the unit by
burning the gas itself on cloudy days. ^_^

TDD

The charcoal would burn, in properly designed burner.
So, there is merit to your suggestion.

You can also put your warm urine in the fridge, and
the compressor / freon will extract the BTU before
you pour it down the drain.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2014 8:12 AM, Snag wrote:

I knew this had to be too good of an idea to be original to me ... that
said , I believe I can build one cheaper than I can buy it - if it is even
available here . And I'll have plenty of space under the house on the
downhill side , where the kitchen will be . I'll bet this in conjunction
with an instant hot water heater would be a great combo !

Drain all that water through a tank inside a
refrigerator. The pump and freon will extract
the heat into the house, and then only cold
chilled water will go into the drain.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 2, 2014 1:47:47 AM UTC-5, nestork wrote:
[...]

I agree. In summer, my gas bill for running the water heater plus
some gas grilling outside is typically $17. Which gives you a good
idea that there isn't all that much $$ to be recovered by trying to
capture some heat from the waste water. What are you going to recover?
$2? IMO, there are plenty of
things way ahead of that in terms of payback in saving energy
from a cost/benefit standpoint. You'd never pay for the cost of
the recovery system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2014 7:18 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I want a fart recovery system since the greenhouse gas coming out
of my tailpipe can be burned in my gas appliances. I thought of
activated charcoal undershorts which could be changed daily and
dropped into a gas recovery unit powered by solar energy or from
heating the unit by burning the gas itself on cloudy days. ^_^

TDD

The charcoal would burn, in properly designed burner. So, there is
merit to your suggestion.

You can also put your warm urine in the fridge, and the compressor /
freon will extract the BTU before you pour it down the drain.

Oh, you gave me a mean idea but I can't do it. My roommate likes a
yellowish mango juice to mix with his vodka. Heck, he might never
notice. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

You can also put your warm urine in the fridge, and the compressor /
freon will extract the BTU before you pour it down the drain.

Oh, you gave me a mean idea but I can't do it. My roommate likes a
yellowish mango juice to mix with his vodka. Heck, he might never
notice. ^_^

TDD

Maybe not after the second drink? But, I suspect
you're too good a man to do that to anyone.

In NY a couple years ago, someone mixed auto
antifreeze with her boyfriend's cocktail mix
in the fridge. Dead boyfriend, and woman in jail
on charges.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2014 8:23 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
You can also put your warm urine in the fridge, and the compressor /
freon will extract the BTU before you pour it down the drain.

Oh, you gave me a mean idea but I can't do it. My roommate likes a
yellowish mango juice to mix with his vodka. Heck, he might never
notice. ^_^

TDD

Maybe not after the second drink? But, I suspect
you're too good a man to do that to anyone.

In NY a couple years ago, someone mixed auto
antifreeze with her boyfriend's cocktail mix
in the fridge. Dead boyfriend, and woman in jail
on charges.

Heck, my pee may not be toxic but there are a lot of drugs in it. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Snag wrote:

Dump the drains of stuff like shower/tub , dishwasher , etc into a BIG
tank . Let the drain draw from the bottom , where it's coolest . Use the
waste heat supplemented by solar? to heat a thermal storage mass - like a
massive stone feature wall . I HATE to throw heat away in winter !
Especially when it costs me $ .10 a Kw/hr .
--

The heat helps perk up your septic system to keep it working properly in
the winter. If you want to save energy, setup a pre-heater to heat the
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Waste meds reclamation drunken rambling #3256

Oh, you gave me a mean idea but I can't do it. My roommate likes a
yellowish mango juice to mix with his vodka. Heck, he might never
notice. ^_^

TDD

Maybe not after the second drink? But, I suspect
you're too good a man to do that to anyone.

Heck, my pee may not be toxic but there are a lot of drugs in it. ^_^

TDD

In the early years, penicillin was reclaimed
via urine, and used for the next patient. I
remember something about the police in some UK
town having to catch all their wee, to help
with the production of penicillin.
--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Snag wrote:
Bob F wrote:
Snag wrote:
Dump the drains of stuff like shower/tub , dishwasher , etc into a
BIG tank . Let the drain draw from the bottom , where it's coolest
. Use the waste heat supplemented by solar? to heat a thermal
storage mass - like a massive stone feature wall . I HATE to throw
heat away in winter ! Especially when it costs me $ .10 a Kw/hr .

Get one of these.
http://www.ecobuildingpulse.com/heat...the-drain.aspx

I knew this had to be too good of an idea to be original to me ...
that said , I believe I can build one cheaper than I can buy it - if
it is even available here . And I'll have plenty of space under the
house on the downhill side , where the kitchen will be . I'll bet
this in conjunction with an instant hot water heater would be a great
combo !

There are plans and videos availble about building your own. One of the
characteristic of the commercial units is the "laminar flow" concept which is a
design which ideally runs the waste shower water down the walls of the pipe in a
thin layer on the copper, rather than dripping it down the middle or just
flowing on one side, either of which would decrease the heat transfer from the
waste to the incoming water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 2, 2014 5:19:48 AM UTC-8, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/2/2014 8:12 AM, Snag wrote:

I knew this had to be too good of an idea to be original to me ... that

said , I believe I can build one cheaper than I can buy it - if it is even

available here . And I'll have plenty of space under the house on the

downhill side , where the kitchen will be . I'll bet this in conjunction

with an instant hot water heater would be a great combo !

Drain all that water through a tank inside a

refrigerator. The pump and freon will extract

the heat into the house, and then only cold

chilled water will go into the drain.

Energy inefficient. Costs more energy than you recover (as always). Bettter to just put it in an uninsulated tank and let it cool naturally.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2014 12:10 PM, Harry K wrote:
Drain all that water through a tank inside a
refrigerator. The pump and freon will extract
the heat into the house, and then only cold
chilled water will go into the drain.

Energy inefficient. Costs more energy than you recover (as always). Bettter to just put it in an uninsulated tank and let it cool naturally.

Harry K

How does that compare to heat pumps? Some what
the same process, moving heat.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2014 8:12 AM, Snag wrote:

I knew this had to be too good of an idea to be original to me
... that

said , I believe I can build one cheaper than I can buy it - if it
is even

available here . And I'll have plenty of space under the house on
the

downhill side , where the kitchen will be . I'll bet this in
conjunction

with an instant hot water heater would be a great combo !

Drain all that water through a tank inside a

refrigerator. The pump and freon will extract

the heat into the house, and then only cold

chilled water will go into the drain.

Energy inefficient. Costs more energy than you recover (as always).
Bettter to just put it in an uninsulated tank and let it cool
naturally.

Harry K

Pretty much what I had in mind . Plastic tanks are relatively cheap , bury
it under the kitchen with the top few inches exposed . Insulate the sides
and bottom , we ain't heatin' the ground . I figger a couple hundred gallons
, enough thermal mass to moderate temps in addition to the heat reclaimed .
--
Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2014 8:12 AM, Snag wrote:

[...]

The advantage of the direct transfer of the heat to the water is that the water
is cooler. It accepts more heat. It gets warmed up as it goes through the
exchanger then goes directly into the water heater, which uses less water
heating the already warmed water. These wastewater exchangers provide the
pre-heat while the shower is being used - for highest savings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2014 8:18 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You can also put your warm urine in the fridge, and
the compressor / freon will extract the BTU before
you pour it down the drain.

Wouldn't it be more efficient to pee on the floor and let the heat disperse?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2014 8:47 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/2/2014 8:18 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You can also put your warm urine in the fridge, and
the compressor / freon will extract the BTU before
you pour it down the drain.

Wouldn't it be more efficient to pee on the floor and let the heat
disperse?

That's an option, but the refrig gets more BTU
than the floor plan.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Senior Member

Snag:

If you want to conserve heat, lemme tell you a fast easy way to save yourself a lot of money by conserving heat:

You go to Wal-Mart and buy:
1. a long sleeve turtle neck cotton t-shirt like this one:
http://ak1.polyvoreimg.com/cgi/img-t...d/91154698.jpg
2. a pair of long cotton underwear, and
3. a pair of warm slippers to wear indoors.

When you get home, strip down and put the t-shirt and long underwear on. Then put your normal casual indoor clothing on. And, finally, put the slippers on.

Now, walk over to your house's thermostat and turn it down.

Doing that will save you a lot more money than trying to salvage the heat from the warm and hot water going down your drains because you spend considerably more money heating your house than you do heating the water you use. So, the greatest potential for savings is to be had by reducing your home heating costs.

Last edited by nestork : January 3rd 14 at 04:09 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 2, 2014 11:07:07 AM UTC-8, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/2/2014 12:10 PM, Harry K wrote:

Drain all that water through a tank inside a

refrigerator. The pump and freon will extract

the heat into the house, and then only cold

chilled water will go into the drain.

Energy inefficient. Costs more energy than you recover (as always). Bettter to just put it in an uninsulated tank and let it cool naturally.

Harry K

How does that compare to heat pumps? Some what

the same process, moving heat.

--

.

Christopher A. Young

Learn about Jesus

www.lds.org

.

At a big cost in energy. Laws of thermo:

"You can't win, you can't break even and you can't even get out of the game."

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote:
Snag:

If you want to conserve heat, lemme tell you a fast easy way to save
yourself a lot of money by conserving heat:

snipped the shopping trip ...

Doing that will save you a lot more money than trying to salvage the
heat from the warm and hot water going down your drains because you
spend considerably more money heating your house than you do heating
the water you use. So, the greatest potential for savings is to be
had by reducing your home heating costs.

Well , actually nestork my heating bill is now lower than ever before -
unless you count my labor . The new place has a wood burning stove and I
live in a clearing out in the woods . I have 2 chainsaws , a splitting wedge
and a hammer , and I need the exercise . Not exactly free heat but about as
close as you're likely to get . Most all the neighbors out here heat with
wood too , and should I get tired of splitting firewood by hand I've been
offered the use of no less than 3 powered splitters .
But throwing away energy that I paid for still irks me , and at some point
I will be integrating some form of reclamation into my hearing plan . Might
be nothing more than a preheat for incoming - the water here is COLD in
winter ! But there will be something to get at least part of that heat back
.. It will be less expensive for me to build a device , I think , because
there's a well-equipped machine/welding shop sittin' right outside ...
--
Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/3/2014 6:37 AM, Snag wrote:
nestork wrote:
[...]

There is nothing like living out away from urban areas to facilitate the
mad scientist in you. I loved it out on the farm when I was growing up
because I could do all sorts of tinkering that I couldn't do when I
lived in the city. ^_^

TDD