Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Carrier Furnace Question

The inducer motor assembly vibrates/rattles when it shuts-down. The unit is 18 yrs old...The inducer motor runs smoothly and continues to spin a long while after power is off.
Is this a concern...possibly a metal clip (for balancing) fell-off?
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...ps60adef7e.jpg

Thanks! (Stormy need not apply!)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 1 Jan 2014 08:33:25 -0800 (PST), Bob_Villa
wrote:

The inducer motor assembly vibrates/rattles when it shuts-down. The unit is 18 yrs old...The inducer motor runs smoothly and continues to spin a long while after power is off.
Is this a concern...possibly a metal clip (for balancing) fell-off?
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...ps60adef7e.jpg

Can't really answer your question directly.

I'd inspect the rubber motor mount bushings and inspect for places a
clip may have been....

Perhaps the blade (?) is hitting the shroud on the inside making it
"rattle".
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The inducer motor assembly vibrates/rattles when it shuts-down. The unit is 18 yrs old...The inducer motor runs smoothly and continues to spin a long while after power is off.

Is this a concern...possibly a metal clip (for balancing) fell-off?

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...ps60adef7e.jpg

Can't really answer your question directly.

I'd inspect the rubber motor mount bushings and inspect for places a

clip may have been....

Perhaps the blade (?) is hitting the shroud on the inside making it

"rattle".

"Rattle" is a poor description...a shudder is more like it. It kind of breathes when the power turns-off the motor. Vibration is normal when at proper speed.
That's what makes me think it's out-of-balance!
Thanks for the post!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2014 10:27 AM, Bob_Villa wrote:

"Rattle" is a poor description...a shudder is more like it. It kind of breathes when the power turns-off the motor. Vibration is normal when at proper speed.
That's what makes me think it's out-of-balance!
Thanks for the post!

I had trouble with the inducer fan on my York a
couple years ago. But, I'm not allowed to
comment or provide information.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 02 Jan 2014 10:54:32 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 1/2/2014 10:27 AM, Bob_Villa wrote:

"Rattle" is a poor description...a shudder is more like it. It kind of breathes when the power turns-off the motor. Vibration is normal when at proper speed.
That's what makes me think it's out-of-balance!
Thanks for the post!

I had trouble with the inducer fan on my York a
couple years ago. But, I'm not allowed to
comment or provide information.

Mine squeaked on shut-down and startup - the squirrel cage was loose
in the hub - part was not available so I brazed it. Been good for 9
years since.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The inducer motor assembly vibrates/rattles when it shuts-down. The unit is 18 yrs old...The inducer motor runs smoothly and continues to spin a long while after power is off.

Is this a concern...possibly a metal clip (for balancing) fell-off?

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...ps60adef7e.jpg

Can't really answer your question directly.

I'd inspect the rubber motor mount bushings and inspect for places a

clip may have been....

Perhaps the blade (?) is hitting the shroud on the inside making it

"rattle".

"Rattle" is a poor description...a shudder is more like it. It kind of breathes when the power turns-off the motor. Vibration is normal when at proper speed.
That's what makes me think it's out-of-balance!
Thanks for the post!

Might try using a mechanic's stethoscope to isolate the noise to a
particular location. If you don't have a stethoscope, a long
screwdriver, dowel of wood, etc. will work. Holding by your ear.

You can pin down the location.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 1/2/2014 10:27 AM, Bob_Villa wrote:

"Rattle" is a poor description...a shudder is more like it. It kind of breathes when the power turns-off the motor. Vibration is normal when at proper speed.
That's what makes me think it's out-of-balance!
Thanks for the post!

What's an inducer motor? There is a lot written, wrt oil furnaces or maybe oil and gas, about a shudder or shake at the
end of combustion, and it has to do with combustion (I forget the details) not with out of balance. No mention of out
of balance. But I don't know if the stop of an inducer motor is related to the end of combustion.

Try the heatinghelp.com forums. They also have search capablitily, but I never got straight if every search searched
all posts, or if going to a specific forum area, like gas furnaces would only search within gas furnaces.

I had trouble with the inducer fan on my York a
couple years ago. But, I'm not allowed to
comment or provide information.

Mine squeaked on shut-down and startup - the squirrel cage was loose
in the hub - part was not available so I brazed it. Been good for 9
years since.

My main fan squeaked when it ran. Paid for a service call and repair. He replaced the motor. I called and got back
the motor. Still squeaking after he left. I called and they sent a squirrel cage, but before I could put it on,
the old squirrel cage must have jammed itself into position, because it's been 20 years iirc and it doesn't squeak. I
presume i still have the squirrel cage, but that was a cheaper part than the motor, plus the service man didn't find the
problem, I did. He should have recognized the sound.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I had trouble with the inducer fan on my York a
couple years ago. But, I'm not allowed to
comment or provide information.

....chicken **** - do it anyway

And stop playing the victim.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I had trouble with the inducer fan on my York a
couple years ago. But, I'm not allowed to
comment or provide information.

...chicken **** - do it anyway

And stop playing the victim.

But, he told me not to. And I'm scared.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I had trouble with the inducer fan on my York a
couple years ago. But, I'm not allowed to
comment or provide information.

...chicken **** - do it anyway

And stop playing the victim.

But, he told me not to. And I'm scared.

...chicken **** - do it anyway

Surrender on Aisle 6. Victims Aisle 3.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

A length of plastic tubing works, too.

You can pin down the location.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 2, 2014 12:55:34 PM UTC-6, micky wrote:

There is a lot written, wrt oil furnaces or maybe oil and gas, about a shudder or shake at the

end of combustion, and it has to do with combustion (I forget the details) not with out of balance.

That makes sense if it doesn't shut-off precisely and pulses the ignition a bit at the end of the burn cycle!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 5, 2014 2:22:47 PM UTC-5, Bob_Villa wrote:
On Thursday, January 2, 2014 12:55:34 PM UTC-6, micky wrote:

There is a lot written, wrt oil furnaces or maybe oil and gas, about a shudder or shake at the

end of combustion, and it has to do with combustion (I forget the details) not with out of balance.

That makes sense if it doesn't shut-off precisely and pulses the ignition a bit at the end of the burn cycle!

No furnace that I know of pulses the ignition at the end of a cycle.
Ignition is only active at the initiation stage to get it lit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 5, 2014 1:25:48 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Sunday, January 5, 2014 2:22:47 PM UTC-5, Bob_Villa wrote:

On Thursday, January 2, 2014 12:55:34 PM UTC-6, micky wrote:

There is a lot written, wrt oil furnaces or maybe oil and gas, about a shudder or shake at the

end of combustion, and it has to do with combustion (I forget the details) not with out of balance.

That makes sense if it doesn't shut-off precisely and pulses the ignition a bit at the end of the burn cycle!

No furnace that I know of pulses the ignition at the end of a cycle.

Ignition is only active at the initiation stage to get it lit.

I will disregard your stupidity...try re-reading moron!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 5, 2014 1:35:40 PM UTC-6, Bob_Villa wrote:
On Sunday, January 5, 2014 1:25:48 PM UTC-6, wrote:

On Sunday, January 5, 2014 2:22:47 PM UTC-5, Bob_Villa wrote:

On Thursday, January 2, 2014 12:55:34 PM UTC-6, micky wrote:

There is a lot written, wrt oil furnaces or maybe oil and gas, about a shudder or shake at the

end of combustion, and it has to do with combustion (I forget the details) not with out of balance.

That makes sense if it doesn't shut-off precisely and pulses the ignition a bit at the end of the burn cycle!

No furnace that I know of pulses the ignition at the end of a cycle.

Ignition is only active at the initiation stage to get it lit.

I will disregard your stupidity...try re-reading moron!

I apologize for my rudeness...it would have to pulse beyond the ignition point as the inducer was shutting-down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 5 Jan 2014 11:25:48 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

That makes sense if it doesn't shut-off precisely and pulses the ignition a bit at the end of the burn cycle!

No furnace that I know of pulses the ignition at the end of a cycle.
Ignition is only active at the initiation stage to get it lit.

Maybe he hears a 'poof' and not a "pulse" when the gas burns out :-\
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sunday, January 5, 2014 2:22:47 PM UTC-5, Bob_Villa wrote:
On Thursday, January 2, 2014 12:55:34 PM UTC-6, micky wrote:

There is a lot written, wrt oil furnaces or maybe oil and gas, about a shudder or shake at the

end of combustion, and it has to do with combustion (I forget the details) not with out of balance.

That makes sense if it doesn't shut-off precisely and pulses the ignition a bit at the end of the burn cycle!

No that wash't the reason either. I'll go look for what the reason is,
but it might take me weeks if I get hungry before I find it.

No furnace that I know of pulses the ignition at the end of a cycle.

Ignition is only active at the initiation stage to get it lit.

That's not true either. There are millions of furnaces, maybe all of
them old, that run the ignition during the entire time the oil is
burning (and maybe the gas for all I know), including mine.

There are other oil furnaces that only ignite at start-up. I just
heard about them recently. I'm not sure the advantage of that. Saving a
little electricty and extending the life of the transformer and
electrodes doesn't seem enough to me. I've been tempted to put a
switch in my transformer primary and turn off the ignition after the
furnace is running, to see what will happen, but I'm happy it works and
I don't want to make waves. (Unburned oil in the bottom of the firebox
is bad, but I don't know how bad.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 5 Jan 2014 11:22:47 -0800 (PST), Bob_Villa
wrote:

On Thursday, January 2, 2014 12:55:34 PM UTC-6, micky wrote:

There is a lot written, wrt oil furnaces or maybe oil and gas, about a shudder or shake at the

end of combustion, and it has to do with combustion (I forget the details) not with out of balance.

That makes sense if it doesn't shut-off precisely and pulses the ignition a bit at the end of the burn cycle!

Looking arount the Wall at heatinghelp.com searching for

shudder shake shut-down or end,

I couldn't find what I'd seen before. I found a lot of instances of "I
shudder to think ..." I read over 100 threads the last time, when it
was my problem. Just don't have the energy to do that much for someone
else, who could do it himself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

"flame retention" burnwers are higher efficiency

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I think I have a flame retention burner and it still runs the spark all
the time. "In the late 1960s, the manufacturers of Oilheat equipment
introduced the flame retention burner, which produced a smaller, more
compact flame." and my furnace was made in 1979, a modern model by
Carrier, I thought.

http://www.oilheatamerica.com/index.mv?screen=burners

OTOH, looking at the manual for my furnace, it doesn't say flame
retention that I can find. It's a pdf file but it's all one scan per
page, so Find does not work. But I think I read t he relevant parts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure which I have but the flame retetion drawing on the url
above looks almost just like mine, and the other doesn't.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The inducer motor assembly vibrates/rattles when it shuts-down. The unit is 18 yrs old...The inducer motor runs smoothly and continues to spin a long while after power is off.
Is this a concern...possibly a metal clip (for balancing) fell-off?
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...ps60adef7e.jpg

Thanks! (Stormy need not apply!)

Ivve been looking at my owners manual for my 30 year old Carrier oil;
furnace -- is yours oil or gas-- Always say. -- and I forgot that it
has a troubleshooting section. You should find the manual for yours (I
have the paper copy but found this online. )

I don't think I have an inducer motor. Certainly not one that looks
like your picture. I can't tell how big it is.

Spinning when it's off sounds good to me. If this is just a fan, no
it doesn't matter if it vibrates when the power is turned off. It
matters if it doesn't spin at the proper speed when the power is on.
That's what matters.

I've never seen a fan with metal balancing clips, and that includes the
2 squirrel-cage blades on my furnace . Did you actually find a clip?
That seems to go on the fan?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've seen lots of clip-ballanced squirrel cage blowers. Dumb idea as
far as I'm concerned but not uncommon
Posted to alt.home.repair

This is an NG unit...I pulled-off the exhaust PVC and looked at the plastic fan...it's not loose and no weights or scratches where they might have been.
The gas shuts-off 1st and after about 10 sec. power to the inducer motor is cut-off and then there is a shutter to the whole assem. (jpg link).
Maybe it's caused by the long PVC exhaust run (about 20')
It has been running well in this -15 deg weather...just wonder if anyone has heard or seen this...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 6, 2014 8:30:58 PM UTC-6, Bob_Villa wrote:
This is an NG unit...I pulled-off the exhaust PVC and looked at the plastic fan...it's not loose and no weights or scratches where they might have been.

The gas shuts-off 1st and after about 10 sec. power to the inducer motor is cut-off and then there is a shutter to the whole assem. (jpg link).

Maybe it's caused by the long PVC exhaust run (about 20')

It has been running well in this -15 deg weather...just wonder if anyone has heard or seen this...

I lubed the bearing of the fan housing and this quieted it down...it looks like a sintered type.