StephanieKahl

Default Maytag v. Carrier furnace?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and am a novice when it comes to HVAC. We are
planning to purchase a two-stage variable speed (side vent) gas furnace
and have the decision down to 2 bids:

1. Maytag 92% 80K BTU furnace; 10-yr. p/l warranty

2. Carrier 94.5% 80K BTU furnace; 10-yr. p/l warranty but priced $600
more than the Maytag

I have found lots of info on Carrier--so feel good about that product.
But we can't find a lot of info on Maytag. My husband feels that there
is probably no difference between the quality of the two products and
wants to go with the cheaper Maytag. I am hesitant b/c they've only
been on the market for 4 years.

If you had to choose between the 2, which would it be, given the $600
price difference? Any suggestions or info would be appreciated. Both
installers are highly reputable (per Angie's List, our prior experience
and others' input).

Thanks,
Stephanie

--
StephanieKahl
StephanieKahl's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=95

Brian V

"StephanieKahl" wrote in message

[...]

What's your anual heating bill? 2.5% more effecient should be a no brainer
if you live in a heavy use area, will pay for itself very quickly. Even if
they were equal I would still opt for the Carrier, that's what Carrier does,
let Maytag make their washers and driers.

Brian

StephanieKahl wrote:
[...]

Maytag made by Nordyne. Given choice I would go with Carrier, also
Maytag is not a bad product. If you want to save $600 Maytag would work
well.

StephanieKahl

We just moved into the house at the end of spring, so I do not have an
accurate idea of heating costs.

Thanks for the feedback.
--Stephanie

--
StephanieKahl
StephanieKahl's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=95
View this thread: http://www.homeplot.com/showthread.php?t=58453

SQLit

"StephanieKahl" wrote in message

We just moved into the house at the end of spring, so I do not have an
accurate idea of heating costs.

call the utility and ask for the highest and lowest previous bill for the
home. It will only be a guide but you will have an idea of what to expect
this winter.

I believe I would call some more contractors and get another price for a
different make

Bob G.

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 00:50:39 -0400, StephanieKahl
wrote:

[...]

=================
Great timming ....I was sitting here reading this post when my son
called ... he was taking a break at work... and he installs HVAC
equiptment...as well as repairs them
So I asked him...which would he install.

Simple answer... flip a coin... he has no complaints about either
brand...

Bob G.

StephanieKahl

We went with Carrier. We realized that the Maytag bid didn't include the
price of a new humidifier, although the contractor threw it in at no
charge to be competitive. And we figure we'll recoup the $200
difference (after figuring for the price of a humidifier) within a year
on our gas bill.

Thanks for all the input. Now I know where to go when I have a question
or two or twenty.
--Stephanie

--
StephanieKahl
StephanieKahl's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=95
View this thread: http://www.homeplot.com/showthread.php?t=58453

Carrier Weathermaker 8000 furnace Tony Hwang Home Repair 2 August 30th 05 11:46 AM
Old Carrier furnace and heat-exchanger Puddin' Man Home Repair 7 August 29th 05 03:37 PM
Carrier Gas Furnace - Ignition Lights But Nothing Else Bob Pietrangelo Home Ownership 6 February 1st 05 06:30 AM
Carrier 58GS Gas Furnace (20 yrs old): Blower removal Puddin' Man Home Repair 7 November 14th 04 08:53 PM
Carrier variable speed gas furnace don h Home Repair 0 October 24th 04 10:54 PM