Puddin' Man

Default Carrier 58GS Gas Furnace (20 yrs old): Blower removal

Carrier 58GS Gas Furnace: Blower removal

Hi,

About 20 years ago, I had a Carrier 58GS (upflow) Gas Furnace
installed. I'm told it was manufactured by Bryant.

The label on the blower sez the blower motor requires
oiling about every 5 years.

I can see part of the blower motor but can't see an oil
nipple. Many years ago the unit was serviced by the folks
that installed it: the blower unit was removed and the motor
oiled.

I've looked the entire furnace over and I can't see
how to remove the blower unit. It's long overdue for
oiling. I can't afford a service call.

Does anyone recall how one goes about removing the blower
unit? Oiling the motor? A tip or 2 would be very much
appreciated.

Cheers,
Puddin'

*** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom ***
************************************************** ****;
Dan

Usually, not always, there are two bolts or metal screws locking the
blower motor in place. These usually come out from the top. Then the
blower assembly will slide out like a drawer, might take a little
persuading on an old unit. Check the ends of the motor for small
plastic plugs, if you find them pop them out and oil the motor. I
used to use turbine oil with the extendable spout to get to them, but
20 weight motor oil might work. It does make a difference in the life
of motors, but I'd oil them every year, not 5 or so.

Dan

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 00:02:28 GMT, (Puddin' Man)
wrote:

Carrier 58GS Gas Furnace: Blower removal

Hi,

About 20 years ago, I had a Carrier 58GS (upflow) Gas Furnace
installed. I'm told it was manufactured by Bryant.

The label on the blower sez the blower motor requires
oiling about every 5 years.

I can see part of the blower motor but can't see an oil
nipple. Many years ago the unit was serviced by the folks
that installed it: the blower unit was removed and the motor
oiled.

I've looked the entire furnace over and I can't see
how to remove the blower unit. It's long overdue for
oiling. I can't afford a service call.

Does anyone recall how one goes about removing the blower
unit? Oiling the motor? A tip or 2 would be very much
appreciated.

Cheers,
Puddin'

************************************************* *****
*** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom ***
************************************************* *****;

m Ransley

How about the AC coil you should clean that , it affects Heating
efficiency

HeatMan

Okay, I'm in a ****y mood.

Sell the H2 in the driveway and get your equipment serviced.

A lot of people out there( and I'm not talking about the OP) will get their
car serviced every 3K miles, but never get the most expensive system in
their house serviced as they are supposed to.....

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
[...]

Dr. Hardcrab

"HeatMan" wrote in message
Okay, I'm in a ****y mood.

Sell the H2 in the driveway and get your equipment serviced.

A lot of people out there( and I'm not talking about the OP) will get
their
car serviced every 3K miles, but never get the most expensive system in
their house serviced as they are supposed to.....

Damn straight!

They buy a $30,000 car with $7,000 worth of options but won't spend $5,000
to replace a 20 year old furnace.

Puddin' Man

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 00:49:20 GMT, Dan wrote:

Usually, not always, there are two bolts or metal screws locking the
blower motor in place. These usually come out from the top. Then the
blower assembly will slide out like a drawer, might take a little
persuading on an old unit.

Aha! The elec. control box is right in front of the top of
the blower unit: I couldn't see how it mounted (eyes are
not what they used to be). As you say, it slides out ('till
it runs into the control box).

Check the ends of the motor for small
plastic plugs, if you find them pop them out and oil the motor. I
used to use turbine oil with the extendable spout to get to them, but
20 weight motor oil might work.

Didn't find any plastic plugs, but there was an aperture
just above the motor shaft. I oiled aplenty.

It does make a difference in the life
of motors, but I'd oil them every year, not 5 or so.

Particularly as the unit is so old. I'll scribble some
notes and oil every Aug. or Sept.

The blower motor sounds A-OK now. Copious thanks to
Dan for his help!

Best,
Puddin'

wrote:

Carrier 58GS Gas Furnace: Blower removal

Hi,

About 20 years ago, I had a Carrier 58GS (upflow) Gas Furnace
installed. I'm told it was manufactured by Bryant.

The label on the blower sez the blower motor requires
oiling about every 5 years.

I can see part of the blower motor but can't see an oil
nipple. Many years ago the unit was serviced by the folks
that installed it: the blower unit was removed and the motor
oiled.

I've looked the entire furnace over and I can't see
how to remove the blower unit. It's long overdue for
oiling. I can't afford a service call.

Does anyone recall how one goes about removing the blower
unit? Oiling the motor? A tip or 2 would be very much
appreciated.

Cheers,
Puddin'

*** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom ***