Puddin' Man

Default Old Carrier furnace and heat-exchanger

Old Carrier furnace and heat-exchanger

'owdy,

I belong to a little brick bungalow in the US midwest. Back in
'84, I had new heat/AC equip. installed.

The furnace, a middle-of-the-line Carrier (but made by Bryant)
is a standard forced-air-system unit, maybe 120k btu, with an
elec. vent damper. Has given good service, 'tho I had to
intall a new gas valve in the 90's.

Every late summer I clean the rust out of it. And I -try-
to get a peek at the heat-exchanger with one of those
little hinged mirrors like the dentist uses. Can actually
see very little.

About how long might such a furnace last with average
(midwest) usage?

The part that usually fails in late life is indeed the
heat-exchanger? How can I tell when its failing? I
assume I'd need to replace the unit and budgeting
could be b-b-bitch.

Thanks,
Puddin'
*** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom ***
************************************************** ****;
Anthony Berlin

Correction: Bryant but made by Carrier. Bryant doesn't manufacture Carrier,
it's the other way around.
It would last alot longer if you utilized a skilled technician to look at
the xchanger for you....since he knows what he is looking for. You sound
dangerous to me. How can you check for a cracked xchanger? You can wait
until you start getting headaches, and sleep alot for no apparent reason, or
you could pay a service company to perform an inspection for you. Buy a
friggin' CO alarm or are you too ****in' cheap for that to?

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
[...]

TURTLE

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
[...]

This is Turtle.

The Heat Exchanger can last a long time depending on how much you use it. Here
in Louisiana with the weather we have which is very light cold weather the Heat
changers will last about 30 to 40 years. Now to say how long they will last in
the Midwest , well it's hard to say.

TURTLE

HeatMan

Here's my opinion.

It's about done for. Replace the entire furnace. The money you save in
utility bills will probably pay for the new furnace in 10 years

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
[...]

Puddin' Man

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 18:46:07 -0500, "Anthony Berlin"
wrote:

Correction: Bryant but made by Carrier. Bryant doesn't manufacture Carrier,
it's the other way around.

Nope. Around '84, Bryant made the unit (according to the
installing conny-tractor). Carrier put their plaque etc
on it and sold it under their name.

It would last alot longer if you utilized a skilled technician to look at
the xchanger for you....since he knows what he is looking for.

Wish I could afford 'em.

You sound
dangerous to me.

Always have been. Always will be.

How can you check for a cracked xchanger? You can wait
until you start getting headaches, and sleep alot for no apparent reason, or
you could pay a service company to perform an inspection for you. Buy a
friggin' CO alarm or are you too ****in' cheap for that to?

Whoops. Appears my little query has drawn a roving troll.
Or is that a *raving* troll? :-)

"Seek (A Life) And Ye Shall Find!"

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Puddin' Man

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 20:22:06 -0500, "TURTLE"
wrote:

This is Turtle.

The Heat Exchanger can last a long time depending on how much you use it. Here
in Louisiana with the weather we have which is very light cold weather the Heat
changers will last about 30 to 40 years. Now to say how long they will last in
the Midwest , well it's hard to say.

Thanks, Turtle. I'm *hoping* I can nurse another 5 years or so
out of thisun.

Cheers,
Puddin'
*** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom ***
************************************************** ****;
Puddin' Man

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 14:55:32 -0400, "HeatMan"
wrote:

Here's my opinion.

It's about done for. Replace the entire furnace. The money you save in
utility bills will probably pay for the new furnace in 10 years

Your opinion is respected. If I had the $, I would
honor it. Simplest and most logical solution.

Unfortunately, I gotta nurse it "'till the wheels
fall off".

Thanks,
Puddin'

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
[...]

[...]