Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Safety

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...22757588_o.jpg

Photo of the socket set I melted down when I shorted that battery out 25
years ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2013 10:33 AM, philo wrote:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...22757588_o.jpg

Photo of the socket set I melted down when I shorted that battery out 25
years ago.

LOL! Fortunately, I have not gone that far. Ruined a pair of dikes,
once. I knew someone that was around a very large breaker, at a power
plant, when his partner pushed a metal "fish" into the cabinet they were
trying to pull some wires into. My commennt: Fiberglass, idiots.

Anyway, that breaker blew up. He was lucky to not get injured and he
and his partner got kicked out of the facility.

I installed a large UPS for a server farm. It had a large cabinet full
of batteries wired for 480vdc. The UPS tech not only had all of the
expensive tools, he had to wear hot gloves while he terminated all of
the jumpers, plus the final tie in. Talk about being in a position to
not want to mess up! Higher voltage and tight spacing sucks when
working with live componets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2013 12:18 PM, Irreverent Maximus wrote:
[...]

Yep, it was a 480v DC UPS that I was working on and at least I knew to
wear all my safety equipment.

Only within the last ten years has my company started to ramp up safety
awareness a bit.

One of our competitors was killed working on a hydraulic battery
extractor due to lack of training. It was the same equipment we worked on.

After the guy was killed , I went over the heads of everyone else in my
company and wrote directly to our CEO.

Rather than get us training in hydraulics, he made it a company policy
that we were to call in an expert in the field rather than do the work
ourselves. I got a lot of people ****ed off for going over their heads
but the CEO himself was fine with my letter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2013 12:20 PM, Irreverent Maximus wrote:
[...]

Whenever I pulled wire into a hot panel, I would make a cardboard
deflector to keep the metal fish tape from getting into the live
circuits. Cardboard is the other needed construction and repair material
which must be added to your arsenal along with duct tape. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Whenever I pulled wire into a hot panel, I would make a cardboard
deflector to keep the metal fish tape from getting into the live
circuits. Cardboard is the other needed construction and repair material
which must be added to your arsenal along with duct tape. ^_^

TDD

Do you use the duct tape to secure the cardboard?
OR
Jam the duct tape around the live parts with the
cardboard?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2014 9:10 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
The Daring Dufas posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Whenever I pulled wire into a hot panel, I would make a cardboard
deflector to keep the metal fish tape from getting into the live
circuits. Cardboard is the other needed construction and repair
material which must be added to your arsenal along with duct tape.
^_^

TDD

Do you use the duct tape to secure the cardboard? OR Jam the duct
tape around the live parts with the cardboard?

Any combination works. ^_^

TDD

safety sam[_15_] Home Repair 4 June 17th 12 03:55 AM
Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule George Max Woodworking 256 September 16th 06 06:03 PM
TS Safety Tanus Woodworking 10 April 18th 06 10:02 PM
Safety first Peter Fairbrother Metalworking 16 February 3rd 06 02:34 PM
Safety Last J T Woodworking 12 January 14th 05 09:15 PM