Posted to alt.war.nuclear,rec.crafts.metalworking
Peter Fairbrother

Default Safety first

I've been playing with some Tungsten rod - available worldwide as welding
electrodes - recently.

Thing is, I looked at a 6" x 3/16" rod, and wondered whether it would make a
good penetrator.

I thought, fired as a subcalibre sabot round in a BMG, that it would
penetrate all but the glacis plate of an M1A2 Abrams MBT. At nearly half a
mile range.

Or maybe not, as people will tell me.

--
Peter Fairbrother

Posted to alt.war.nuclear,rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

Don't do it!!! It will rip a hole in the space-time continuum and this
universe will get sucked into the next through a 3/16" hole.

Posted to alt.war.nuclear,rec.crafts.metalworking

It will shatter.

Tungsten penetraters are very hard to make.

Posted to alt.war.nuclear,rec.crafts.metalworking

Since when is RCM the terrorist idea clearinghouse?

-D

Posted to alt.war.nuclear,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On 30 Jan 2006 15:36:28 -0800, wrote:

Since when is RCM the terrorist idea clearinghouse?

-D

Something that makes holes in metal is terrorist related?

Holy ****...we are ALL in deep ****.

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin

Posted to alt.war.nuclear,rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey, I like blowing holes in stuff as much as the next guy, but this
sounds almost like a US-educated Iranian fishing for IED techniques.

Iran is where the sophisticated Iraqi IEDs are coming from, y'know.

-Dave

Posted to alt.war.nuclear,rec.crafts.metalworking

OK, so an ITCAPB...

-D

Posted to alt.war.nuclear,rec.crafts.metalworking
Dean A. Markley

Ignoramus19961 wrote:
I would be very interested in your results. Like you, I have a good
quantity of 3/16" lanthanated tungsten rod (for welding), and would
love to try something with my 7.52x54R rifle.

If you try something, you are either going to die or be severely
mutilated. By the way, don't you mean 7.62x54R?

Dean
Posted to alt.war.nuclear,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 20:33:04 -0500, "Dean A. Markley"
wrote:

Ignoramus19961 wrote:
I would be very interested in your results. Like you, I have a good
quantity of 3/16" lanthanated tungsten rod (for welding), and would
love to try something with my 7.52x54R rifle.

If you try something, you are either going to die or be severely
mutilated.

Why?

It would be a simple task to chuck a bullet in a collet, drill and
install a chunk of tungsten, then load it into a cartridge and fire it
at a target. If its an open base bullet, drill from the ass end. If
its closed base..drill from the point.

Weigh completed bullet and apply appropriate loading data for the
bullet weight.

By the way, don't you mean 7.62x54R?

Dean

Its actually 7.62x53R....

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin

Posted to alt.war.nuclear,rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom

wrote:

Ignoramus19961 wrote:
I would be very interested in your results. Like you, I have a good
quantity of 3/16" lanthanated tungsten rod (for welding), and would
love to try something with my 7.52x54R rifle.

If you try something, you are either going to die or be severely
mutilated.

Why?

It would be a simple task to chuck a bullet in a collet, drill and
install a chunk of tungsten, then load it into a cartridge and fire it
at a target. If its an open base bullet, drill from the ass end. If
its closed base..drill from the point.

Weigh completed bullet and apply appropriate loading data for the
bullet weight.

By the way, don't you mean 7.62x54R?

Dean

Its actually 7.62x53R....

Gunner

Perhaps he has a Mosin-Nagant?
Tom
Posted to alt.war.nuclear,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

Ignoramus19961 wrote:
[...]

Im sure he does.

The statement stands

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin
Posted to alt.war.nuclear,rec.crafts.metalworking
steve gallacci

Its actually 7.62x53R....

Gunner

Perhaps he has a Mosin-Nagant?
Tom

Im sure he does.

The statement stands

It depends on who's source you are using.
The Finns and Swedes say 7.62x53R, the Russians and Americans say
7.62x54R, but it is all the same round and usually for the same rifle.
A better arrangement for a sub-calibre penitrator would be to turn a
nylon or teflon rod to bore diameter and drill a center hole for a bit
of the hard stuff. Ideally, the whole assembly should be made to end up
lighter than a normal bullet (about 150gr, the new projectile under
100gr) in order to get extra velocity out of it. The penitrating power
is only fully appreciated at higher velocities, ideally over 3000 fps.
Posted to alt.war.nuclear,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 06:51:00 -0800, steve gallacci
wrote:

Its actually 7.62x53R....

Gunner

Perhaps he has a Mosin-Nagant?
Tom

Im sure he does.

The statement stands

It depends on who's source you are using.
The Finns and Swedes say 7.62x53R, the Russians and Americans say
7.62x54R, but it is all the same round and usually for the same rifle.
A better arrangement for a sub-calibre penitrator would be to turn a
nylon or teflon rod to bore diameter and drill a center hole for a bit
of the hard stuff. Ideally, the whole assembly should be made to end up
lighter than a normal bullet (about 150gr, the new projectile under
100gr) in order to get extra velocity out of it. The penitrating power
is only fully appreciated at higher velocities, ideally over 3000 fps.

Good catch. I was only tormenting him G

I dont have any data for sabot rounds in the M-N, so would require a
fair amount of tungsten for working up a safe and speedy round.

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 14:55:44 GMT, Ignoramus1729
wrote:

[...]

The idea of using light jacket (and higher speeds) for the penetrator
makes perfect sense.

No need to re-invent the wheel. This would be much the same
as the old 30.06 accelerator round. It used a sabot to hold
a .22 caliber bullet. See:

http://www.ammo-one.com/3006ACC.html

Just buy your own sabots for playing around. For instance:

http://www.eabco.com/reload02.html

"Accelerator® Type Sabots for Reloading Handload and Shoot
..224 Caliber Bullets in .30 Caliber Firearms! Now you can
handload your 30 caliber handgun or rifle to shoot
hyper-velocity .224 caliber bullets! Fit the .224 bullets
into our Sabots with the Sabot Bullet Seater die. Then load
the sabots as you would any .308 caliber bullet. The Bullet
seater die is required for consistent seating of bullets
into the sabots… accuracy requires consistency! Shoot to
3,500 fps in a 30-30... 4,200 fps in a 30-06. Free Load Data
is Included with Every Sabot Order! Sabots flower away from
the bullet after exiting the muzzle. Made from injection
molded plastic, these sabots won't harm your barrel and
bores are easy to clean with regular Hoppes #9 solvent."

I'm sure there are more. I only did a quick search for
reference.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

[...]

,224 diameter tungstens are gonna cost a pretty penny....

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin
Posted to alt.war.nuclear,rec.crafts.metalworking
steve gallacci

wrote:

[...]

There are commercially available sabots in .308 that hold .224
projectiles that could simplify the project, providing you can find .224
tungsten, or get the new tungsten core 5.56x45 ammo and pull the bullets.
As for reload data, look at 308 or 60-06 varmint loads using 100gr or so
small bullets to get a sense of loading range.