Posted to alt.home.repair
Irreverent Maximus Irreverent Maximus is offline

Default Safety

On 12/30/2013 10:33 AM, philo wrote:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...22757588_o.jpg

Photo of the socket set I melted down when I shorted that battery out 25
years ago.

LOL! Fortunately, I have not gone that far. Ruined a pair of dikes,
once. I knew someone that was around a very large breaker, at a power
plant, when his partner pushed a metal "fish" into the cabinet they were
trying to pull some wires into. My commennt: Fiberglass, idiots.

Anyway, that breaker blew up. He was lucky to not get injured and he
and his partner got kicked out of the facility.

I installed a large UPS for a server farm. It had a large cabinet full
of batteries wired for 480vdc. The UPS tech not only had all of the
expensive tools, he had to wear hot gloves while he terminated all of
the jumpers, plus the final tie in. Talk about being in a position to
not want to mess up! Higher voltage and tight spacing sucks when
working with live componets.