Posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.os.windows-2000,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.home.repair

Default Do any of these printers work with Windows 2000?

Do any of these printers work with Windows 2000?
Specs for each say XP and later.

Canon MG2220
Canon MG3520
HP 2512

Thanks.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, December 29, 2013 1:45:00 PM UTC-6, Guv Bob wrote:
Do any of these printers work with Windows 2000?

Specs for each say XP and later.

Canon MG2220

Canon MG3520

HP 2512

Thanks.

Bob

you expect us to research this **** for you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/29/2013 01:45 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
Do any of these printers work with Windows 2000?
Specs for each say XP and later.

Canon MG2220
Canon MG3520
HP 2512

Question was answered on the other group

it's not going to be any different over here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Daring Dufas: Hypocrite TeaBillie on welfare" wrote in message ...
On Sunday, December 29, 2013 1:45:00 PM UTC-6, Guv Bob wrote:
Do any of these printers work with Windows 2000?

Specs for each say XP and later.

Canon MG2220

Canon MG3520

HP 2512

Thanks.

Bob

you expect us to research this **** for you?

Nope. I'm hoping someone using one now can help me out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

FYI, I found a new one that works with 2000...

http://www.epson.com/cmc_upload/0/00..._InfoSheet.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 11:45:00 -0800, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

Do any of these printers work with Windows 2000?
Specs for each say XP and later.

Canon MG2220
Canon MG3520
HP 2512

Thanks.

Bob

What is the date on the driver? Eh.

A poster said an XP driver will work...or might work.

Did you ever think about a corrupted driver. Expose the printer hidden
Registry entries, (Device Manager)

Do not go there if you have little experience - just sayin'.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Do any of these printers work with Windows 2000?
Specs for each say XP and later.

Canon MG2220
Canon MG3520
HP 2512

Thanks.

Bob

What is the date on the driver? Eh.

A poster said an XP driver will work...or might work.

Did you ever think about a corrupted driver. Expose the printer hidden
Registry entries, (Device Manager)

Do not go there if you have little experience - just sayin'.

I told the guy when he posted elsewhere how to get an XP driver to work
for a win2k device.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 17:16:02 -0600, philo* wrote:

I told the guy when he posted elsewhere how to get an XP driver to work
for a win2k device.

Why did he start another thread? I gave him advice to find a driver.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/29/2013 05:22 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 17:16:02 -0600, philo wrote:

I told the guy when he posted elsewhere how to get an XP driver to work
for a win2k device.

Why did he start another thread? I gave him advice to find a driver.

It seems to be human nature that when someone asks a question, they
already have an answer in mind.

Basically they just keep asking until someone finally gives them the
answer they were looking for.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 17:32:13 -0600, philo* wrote:

On 12/29/2013 05:22 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 17:16:02 -0600, philo wrote:

I told the guy when he posted elsewhere how to get an XP driver to work
for a win2k device.

Why did he start another thread? I gave him advice to find a driver.

It seems to be human nature that when someone asks a question, they
already have an answer in mind.

Basically they just keep asking until someone finally gives them the
answer they were looking for.

.... can't separate the salt from the sugar

Posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.os.windows-2000,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.home.repair

Default Thanks Folks! Do any of these printers work with Windows 2000?

Really appreciate all the suggestions, fellers. I struck out trying to find a way to clear the waste ink problem with MP190. I was hoping for a simple work-around, like cutting the sensor wires, but evidently it's not that simple. Meanwhile, I found a good used Win2000-compatible printer that will get me by for now.

I was not able to find a service manual or even procedures on R/R for this printer online. Local shops want $50 to diagnosis and quote repair. If anyone runs across a MP190 service manual or has tips on R/R of the waste ink assembly for this model pls let me know. From what I've seen online, it's at least at 2 hour job just getting access to the assembly, which means 2 days for me to put it back together again. LOL!

Hopefully next year, the old wallet will not be empty and I can pick up new PC with latest OS and a shiny new printer.

Sorry to those annoyed by so many questions.

===

"Oren" wrote in message ...
On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 17:32:13 -0600, philo wrote:

On 12/29/2013 05:22 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 17:16:02 -0600, philo wrote:

I told the guy when he posted elsewhere how to get an XP driver to work
for a win2k device.

Why did he start another thread? I gave him advice to find a driver.

It seems to be human nature that when someone asks a question, they
already have an answer in mind.

Basically they just keep asking until someone finally gives them the
answer they were looking for.

... can't separate the salt from the sugar

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message ...
On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 17:32:13 -0600, philo wrote:

On 12/29/2013 05:22 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 17:16:02 -0600, philo wrote:

I told the guy when he posted elsewhere how to get an XP driver to work
for a win2k device.

Why did he start another thread? I gave him advice to find a driver.

It seems to be human nature that when someone asks a question, they
already have an answer in mind.

Basically they just keep asking until someone finally gives them the
answer they were looking for.

... can't separate the salt from the sugar

Off topic, but you can shake the salt & sugar in alcohol, filter out the salt, and let the alcohol evaporate to get the sugar.

Posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.os.windows-2000,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 11:45:00 -0800, "Guv Bob" wrote:

Do any of these printers work with Windows 2000?
Specs for each say XP and later.

Canon MG2220
Canon MG3520
HP 2512

Thanks.

Bob

I don't know, but :
- Find a postscript printer laser (monochrome lowcost)
or
- Put your windows 2000 in Virtual Machine under linux with a gate postscript wwith new printer (or new PC under seven/8 with VM
w2k)

If you've got a old software works only under windows 2000, virtual machine is the bers choice. Windows 2000 VM can run under all
host (XP/vista/7/8/windows version 2024/macOSX/linux/....)
The host can be gateway between Win2000 and all news printers

--
Vous voulez un conseil ?
Ne faites jamais confiance à ceux qui vous donnent des conseils.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2013 02:18 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
[...]

I was not annoyed in the least, just saying you did not have to keep asking.

BTW: You probably should move on beyond Win2k one of these days though.

Posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.os.windows-2000,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.home.repair

On 12/30/13, 3:18 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
[...]

The user manual appears to be available at:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppor...uresAndManuals

( or http://tinyurl.com/27d8x4w )

Are you getting Error Code E,8 ?? If so, here is what manual says:
"E, 8
Ink absorber is almost full.
The machine has a built-in ink absorber to hold the ink used during
Print Head Cleaning, for example.
This error code indicates that the ink absorber is nearly full.
Press the Black or Color button to cancel the error so you can
continue printing.
However, because printing is disabled once the ink absorber becomes
completely full and until the ink absorber is replaced, you are
recommended to contact your Canon service representative as early as
possible. (You will need to replace a particular part of the machine.)"

Also found this:
http://www.justanswer.com/printers/6...xma-mp190.html

( or http://tinyurl.com/mak9wh6 )

Talks about removing and cleaning the pads. Also says new pads are no
longer available from Canon.

Good luck and have fun ;-)

Posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.os.windows-2000,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.home.repair

[...]

Here is another cleaning instruction webpage:
http://smallbusiness.chron.com/clean...ber-57609.html
Posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.os.windows-2000,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message ...
On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 17:32:13 -0600, philo wrote:

On 12/29/2013 05:22 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 17:16:02 -0600, philo wrote:

I told the guy when he posted elsewhere how to get an XP driver to work
for a win2k device.

Why did he start another thread? I gave him advice to find a driver.

It seems to be human nature that when someone asks a question, they
already have an answer in mind.

Basically they just keep asking until someone finally gives them the
answer they were looking for.

... can't separate the salt from the sugar

I'm not annoyed. You don't have that power to annoy me.

.... a guy walks into a police station with a crocodile

--
"People who worry about crocodiles are smart!" -Joe Machi
Posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.os.windows-2000,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.home.repair

Retired writes:

[...]

/../

Also found this:
http://www.justanswer.com/printers/6...xma-mp190.html

( or http://tinyurl.com/mak9wh6 )

Talks about removing and cleaning the pads. Also says new pads are no
longer available from Canon.

Incidentally, unless the pad is damaged, washing it in warm/hot water (soaking
repeatedly over a period of days if need be) perhaps with rubbing
alcohol to help dissolve inks, will make it as good as new.

Regards,
Gernot
Posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.os.windows-2000,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.home.repair

"Gernot Hassenpflug" wrote in message ...
Retired writes:

[...]

Thanks. The problem is getting the pad out without taking the whole printer apart. Does not seem to have any easy way to access it.

Posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.os.windows-2000,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.home.repair

Retired writes:

[...]

Hi,
Tried to reset the counters going into service mode?
Try www.fixya.com

Posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.os.windows-2000,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.home.repair

Retired writes:

[...]

Yes, the printer responds to being reset like I would expect. Without knowing for sure, I'm guessing that the even though the reset procedure works, the absorber being full, trips the error again. I picked up another Canon to use now so the "emergency" is over. Will tackle the absorber over the weekend if I can hide from the lovely wife long enough.

Posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.os.windows-2000,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.home.repair

Retired writes:

On 12/30/13, 3:18 PM, Guv Bob wrote:

/../
The user manual appears to be available at:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppor...uresAndManuals

/../

Also found this:
http://www.justanswer.com/printers/6...xma-mp190.html

( or http://tinyurl.com/mak9wh6 )

Talks about removing and cleaning the pads. Also says new pads are no
longer available from Canon.

Incidentally, unless the pad is damaged, washing it in warm/hot water (soaking
repeatedly over a period of days if need be) perhaps with rubbing
alcohol to help dissolve inks, will make it as good as new.

Regards,
Gernot

Thanks. The problem is getting the pad out without taking the whole printer apart. Does not seem to have any easy way to access it.

What could be simpler than taking apart a Canon printer? LOL I know it
is sometimes not easy, but for this fairly simple device you could do
worse than trying it. I've taken plenty of them apart, as well as
Epsons, and ALPS printers.

Nothing to be afraid of. Otherwise, you could save yourself and others
the hours of trouble reading and replying, and fork our 30 bucks for a
new printer?
--
NNTP on Emacs 24.3 from Windows 7
Posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.os.windows-2000,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.home.repair

Retired writes:

[...]

Hi.
That was my thought too. Time is money. Spend money, get the economy
rolling, LOL.
Posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.os.windows-2000,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.home.repair

Retired writes:

[...]

Not hard except you need to find instructions.

The last Epson printer I took apart, I could not have done it without
getting instructions online. The screws were well hidden and some
things needed to be snapped apart.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.os.windows-2000,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 09 Jan 2014 23:37:34 -0500, Dan Espen
wrote:

Retired writes:

[...]

A lot of these things are meant to be thrown away, not repaired.

Which is sad - my printers (an office laser that was once fairly high
end when I had to do a lot of printing of manuals, large assembler
program listings etc when I telecommuted, and a quality photo printer)
are fairly old but still good quality even by modern standards. But
when the photo grey cartridge needed replacing I had to drive all over
town looking for a replacement. Most of the shops told me it would be
cheaper to buy a new low end printer - it probably would have been,
but I wanted the quality of the old one, and I wanted it network
attached so it could be used from the desktop or a laptop without the
other computer being on.

And the same goes for laptops. Mine break either at one of the hinges
or the power socket. Everything is made down to a price, and I'd
rather have something without all the bells and whistles that is
robustly constructed and works properly. When you are retired on
limited funds you can't afford to keep replacing stuff which once
lasted many years.

My current laptop is an Asus notebook, and the only machine on which I
have had a disk crash in almost thirty years. I replaced the disk
drive (easy) but couldn't recover the system. I had backed up all my
data as a matter of course, but the recovery disk wouldn't boot
without the recovery software on the system partition that was no
longer there, and that's when I learned about UEFI booting when it
expected to find UEFI stuff that had also been lost.

Eventually and much against the grain I had to buy an OEM Win7 from
newegg, which I shouldn't have had to do (Win8 was easy to find but I
don't want that). This installed cleanly and boots the traditional way
so If I have another disk crash I can boot from the image disks or if
the worst comes to the worst from the OEM install disk.

But there is so much wrong with the machine anyway. The grotty
touchpad won't let me disable all the bells and whistles I don't need,
and gives me accidental curser movement and clicks even when I've
turned them off, together with unexpected zooms and scrolling.

With earlier machines using the Synaptics touchpad and software, you
could tune these out and even reduce the sensitivity so the heel of
your hand didn't affect it. But not the Elantech that Asus used.

/Rant/ off.

Posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.os.windows-2000,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Retired writes:

[...]

Agree with your rant full-on!
Robust construction issue --- tick
Bells & Whistles crap --- tick
Touchpad software sucks --- tick
--
NNTP on Emacs 24.3 from Windows 7
Posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.os.windows-2000,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.home.repair

Thanks to all. First time I had used craistlist and am very impressed. Mostly nice folks. Some are overly honest, some lie like a dog. I recommend that you ask very direct questions before driving over to see something, and don't be afraid to offer 10 cents on the dollar. A lot of these folks got printers for Christmas and wasn't what they needed.

Also, learn some standard terms...

Still in the box ... that I dug out of the dumpster
Works great.... even with broken or missing parts
Gently used ... for target practice
Looks like new ... in the dark

Ended up with a MP490 for $50, box never opened.

"Guv Bob" wrote in message m...
Do any of these printers work with Windows 2000?
Specs for each say XP and later.

Canon MG2220
Canon MG3520
HP 2512

Thanks.

Bob

Posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.os.windows-2000,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.home.repair

"Guv Bob" wrote in message m...
Do any of these printers work with Windows 2000?
Specs for each say XP and later.

Canon MG2220
Canon MG3520
HP 2512

Thanks.

Bob

Hi,
Nothing to lose trying XP driver on them. MG series are fairly new one
made after the days of W2000. I never liked HP printers 'coz their ink
which is retty expensive.
Posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.os.windows-2000,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.home.repair

"Guv Bob" wrote in message m...
Do any of these printers work with Windows 2000?
Specs for each say XP and later.

Canon MG2220
Canon MG3520
HP 2512

Thanks.

Bob

Hi,
Nothing to lose trying XP driver on them. MG series are fairly new one
made after the days of W2000. I never liked HP printers 'coz their ink
which is retty expensive.

Yes, I tried XP drivers, plus downloaded various universal drivers and some of similar model numbers from Canon's European site but no luck -- but this is a good source for other stuff not on the US site.

Looks like MP490 ink carts have the same breathing hole suitable for drilling and refilling.

Anyone who is not refilling cartridges should give it a try. Once the hole is drilled it's nearly as quick to refill as it is to swap out with a new one.

With the hard plastic ink cart cases, it's much easier to use an electric drill than with the little hand-held drill that comes with the refill kits. Just be careful to only drill very slowly - and just thru the case - and keep the plastic bits on the outside.

Posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.os.windows-2000,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.home.repair

Guv Bob wrote:

"Guv Bob" wrote in message m...
[...]

You can try them on Linux.

Posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.os.windows-2000,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.home.repair

On 12/29/2013 2:45 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
Do any of these printers work with Windows 2000?
Specs for each say XP and later.

Canon MG2220
Canon MG3520
HP 2512

Thanks.

Bob

I'd google up the name and driver and see if they are available.
I just installed an HP printer that was given to my wife a couple of
years ago before Win 8. The CD would not install it but new driver was
available on-line.