Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Radios: here is the pix...

On 1/1/2014 12:57 PM, philo wrote:

It's interesting that with the very old stuff like that rectifier
tube, you can actually see it working. Think of the old reel to
reel computer tape drives and a solid state drive of today. You
really can't call it a hard drive because it has no moving parts
and you can't see it working. I remember being able to see the
movement of the stepper motor moving the heads on an old MFM hard
drive I had in an IBM PC. I'm not going to live long enough to see
automobiles without wheels. The darn things will probably fly or
be magnetically levitated. The movement of technology is making
things faster and smaller but if there is some calamity that
knocks out the supporting infrastructure, it's the old clunky stuff
that will be the only things that will work. ^_^

TDD

What I really like is looking at those old magazines from the 50's
and seeing drawings of all the atomic powered rocket cars we were
going to have by 1984.

Nothing like heating your room in the winter with the warm glow of
vacuum tubes. They were not so great in the summer though.

Old magazines from that era like Popular Science, Mechanics Illustrated
and Popular Mechanics always had articles about what the future would be
like. Sadly, Mechanics Illustrated died in 2001 but the other two
soldier on. Back then, most science fiction writers couldn't imagine
what the world would be like in 2014 but I keep seeing things in old
SciFi movies and TV shows that have become reality today. Of course
there is the communicator from the original Star Trek TV series that
reminds me of the early cellphones then Star Trek The Next Generation,
had what looked like iPads everywhere and video communications
terminals. I read a number of SciFi books and magazines that had stories
about a world wide communications network much like today's internet and
that was years before anything like it was even experimental. ^_^

TDD

The "flip" phone was done purposely like that. It was modeled on the
"communicator" in Start Trek.

I also think that those clothing predictors of the 50's with all their
advanced predictions about clothing...would be pretty surprised to see
that in the 21st century people are walking around with their underwear
hanging out. What a let down they'd have.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 01 Jan 2014 17:37:03 -0600, philo* wrote:

[...]

I think the belt around the knees would surprise them, too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2014 5:37 PM, philo wrote:
[...]

Dey be dragin. Would those futurists understand a new language that had
taken over a lot of English dialog such as Ebonics? ^_^

TDD

digital radios Dave UK diy 240 January 25th 09 01:22 PM
lot of vintage mics- CB radios-car radios-wood/bakeliteradios-receivers-mics-transceivers-TUBES-estate sale clearance ANTIQUE AUDIO Electronics Repair 0 July 25th 08 01:11 PM
What happens to old FM radios? Per Stromgren Electronics Repair 29 August 31st 04 11:15 PM
OT Digital Radios John UK diy 48 January 23rd 04 08:25 AM
[ OT ] FRS radios / 2-way radios Charlie Bress Home Repair 9 September 5th 03 06:26 PM