Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Radios: here is the pix...

"philo " wrote in message ...

On 12/30/2013 10:36 AM, TomR wrote:
philo wrote:
of the radios I got free
from a guy on the radio group

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...74381396_o.jpg

Just curious..., what is "the radio group"?

I have two old radios and an old TV. I would have to go back home and
check
to see what models the radios are. The TV was built in 1948 at RCA in
Camden, NJ. I bought it at a yard sale near there from a guy who used to
work at RCA in 1948 on the TV assembly line and this TV was one that he
helped build on his line.

I also have a hardware store near me that did an interesting thing with an
old stand-up small screen TV. They used just the TV box, and inside the
box
they hid an old portable black and white TV, and they plugged a VCR into
the
hidden portable TV. They play old black and white Honeymooners TV shows
on
the VCR through the portable black and white TV that is hidden inside the
old TV box. So, when you walk into the hardware store, the old black and
white TV looks like it works and it looks like the Honeymooners is on TV.
My first reaction was that they had an old small screen upright black and
white TV that actually worked, and that the Honeymooers just happened to
be
on TV at the time. Then, of course, duh, I figured it out -- but it is a
cool effect.

rec.antiques.radio+phono

I've been fooling with vacuum tube radios for 50 years now.

It's a nice break from computer repair.

When I was still repairing radios in the late 40's. I was working in a
retail appliance ? radios store that also did repairs on these things. I
always welcomed the tough ones to repair. A console came in dead. One bad
and one weak tube. Easy repair. BUT.. when I fired it up it had a "chirp"
about every 20 or 30 seconds. Did a major inspection and testing of all
parts including opening up the IF's and checking any resistors or capacitors
in side them. Still chirped. The boss came into the repair area and said
He had been hearing the chirp over a long period of time. Noticed a flashing
sign in the store window flashed every time it chirped. There was a small
disc that was under the light bulb base that would cause the light to
flash. Shut it off , problem solved. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo* wrote:

of the radios I got free
from a guy on the radio group

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...74381396_o.jpg

Some will need repair...so I will have something to do this winter

Shipping by Greyhound averaged $20 each

That RCA is nice. I wouldn't mind that for a furniture piece, working or
not.

--

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin
Posted to alt.home.repair

G. Morgan wrote :
philo* wrote:

of the radios I got free
from a guy on the radio group

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...74381396_o.jpg

Some will need repair...so I will have something to do this winter

Shipping by Greyhound averaged $20 each

That RCA is nice. I wouldn't mind that for a furniture piece, working or
not.

I've got one of these:
http://wd4eui.com/Pictures/Antique_R...2_external.jpg

That's not my photo, but it is the same model radio.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2013 06:44 PM, WW wrote:

I've been fooling with vacuum tube radios for 50 years now.

It's a nice break from computer repair.

When I was still repairing radios in the late 40's. I was working in a
retail appliance ? radios store that also did repairs on these things. I
always welcomed the tough ones to repair. A console came in dead. One
bad and one weak tube. Easy repair. BUT.. when I fired it up it had a
"chirp" about every 20 or 30 seconds. Did a major inspection and testing
of all parts including opening up the IF's and checking any resistors or
capacitors in side them. Still chirped. The boss came into the repair
area and said He had been hearing the chirp over a long period of time.
Noticed a flashing sign in the store window flashed every time it
chirped. There was a small disc that was under the light bulb base that
would cause the light to flash. Shut it off , problem solved. WW

good one.

I always like the difficult cases~
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2013 07:51 PM, G. Morgan wrote:
philo wrote:

of the radios I got free
from a guy on the radio group

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...74381396_o.jpg

Some will need repair...so I will have something to do this winter

Shipping by Greyhound averaged $20 each

That RCA is nice. I wouldn't mind that for a furniture piece, working or
not.

I'm sure your local antique shop has stuff like that for under $50

for me , I have some winter projects

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2013 08:18 PM, FromTheRafters wrote:
G. Morgan wrote :
philo wrote:
of the radios I got free
from a guy on the radio group

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...74381396_o.jpg

Some will need repair...so I will have something to do this winter

Shipping by Greyhound averaged $20 each

That RCA is nice. I wouldn't mind that for a furniture piece, working or
not.

I've got one of these:
http://wd4eui.com/Pictures/Antique_R...2_external.jpg

That's not my photo, but it is the same model radio.

Nice radio

I have an A****er Kent also mine is a 20C

I need to get an audio transformer for it

I have an RCA speaker that will have to do
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
of the radios I got free
from a guy on the radio group

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...74381396_o.jpg

Some will need repair...so I will have something to do this winter

Shipping by Greyhound averaged $20 each

Over 40 years ago, my friend had trouble with the r100 dial tracking. They
sent it back for refund. I had a r55 myself. I did. Lot of cw on that
radio.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2013 08:32 PM, gregz wrote:
philo wrote:
of the radios I got free
from a guy on the radio group

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...74381396_o.jpg

Some will need repair...so I will have something to do this winter

Shipping by Greyhound averaged $20 each

Over 40 years ago, my friend had trouble with the r100 dial tracking. They
sent it back for refund. I had a r55 myself. I did. Lot of cw on that
radio.

Greg

I vaguely recall those.

My first s/w rcvr was a Knight Kit "Ocean Hopper"

Plug in coils and regenerative. It was nothing to brag about. I later
got an HQ-110-C and later a Drake 2A

Until I got that R-100 all I had left was my HQ-140-X

For a transmitter all I have is an old CB set I converted to ten meter CW
Posted to alt.home.repair

G. Morgan wrote :
philo wrote:
of the radios I got free
from a guy on the radio group

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...74381396_o.jpg

Some will need repair...so I will have something to do this winter

Shipping by Greyhound averaged $20 each

That RCA is nice. I wouldn't mind that for a furniture piece, working or
not.

I've got one of these:
http://wd4eui.com/Pictures/Antique_R...2_external.jpg

That's not my photo, but it is the same model radio.

Nice radio

I have an A****er Kent also mine is a 20C

Like this? Pretty radio.

I need to get an audio transformer for it

I have an RCA speaker that will have to do

The speaker works, the receiver used to work, but not very well. My dad
then took the tubes out to test them on his tube tester and get
replacements for bad ones - and misplaced them all. It wouldn't have
worked anyway as the other components, especially the caps, were too
old and dry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/29/2013 9:19 PM, gregz wrote:
Buck Tooth wrote:
On 12/28/2013 11:16 AM, philo wrote:
On 12/28/2013 08:41 AM, Bubba wrote:
On 12/28/2013 07:43 AM, philo wrote:
On 12/27/2013 06:57 PM, Buck Tooth wrote:

Why would anyone want an AM radio? All they are now is a 24/7/365
annoying advertising delivery system.

Seriously, only a masochist would listen to broadcast radio today.

They'd be worth a lot more if you gutted them and turned them into iPod
docking stations.

I see you know nothing of the antique business, most people use them
as a conversation piece and don't actually use
them. OTOH: Most large cities have a radio station that plays the old
time music.

If it doesn't have an ethernet port, remote control and stream Pandora,
I don't want it.

The motherboards today are so small I could turn one into a high end computer if I wanted.

Yes, a combo media server and wifi radio would be perfect!

And you could write an app that would make it pop, buzz, whistle and fade
in and out just like an old-fashioned AM radio. ;-)

You can't duplicate the sound of an old tube radio in a large box. I know
the sound.

Greg

Some of those wonderful old tall console radios have a huge
electromagnetic speaker, not a permanent magnet but an electromagnet.
I always thought that was so cool. Most adults today don't know that a
big radio was the equivalent of the family TV of a later time and
centerpiece of the living room or den where the family gathered around
to listen to radio programs and sports events. I think we may have lost
something from that era because folks had to use their imaginations to
see with their mind's eye what was going on. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2013 06:35 AM, FromTheRafters wrote:

I've got one of these:
http://wd4eui.com/Pictures/Antique_R...2_external.jpg

That's not my photo, but it is the same model radio.

Nice radio

I have an A****er Kent also mine is a 20C

Like this? Pretty radio.

I need to get an audio transformer for it

I have an RCA speaker that will have to do

The speaker works, the receiver used to work, but not very well. My dad
then took the tubes out to test them on his tube tester and get
replacements for bad ones - and misplaced them all. It wouldn't have
worked anyway as the other components, especially the caps, were too old
and dry.

They required a ground a a very long and high antenna...with new
filter capacitors it would probably have been ok

Yours is an AC model mine is DC and runs off of batteries
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Yes. Most of my console radios have the electromagnetic speaker.

What got me started was the Philco radio my grandmother had...when I'd
go to visit her...I'd turn on the short wave band.

As to visual imagery, when my daughter was a kid I actually played quite
a few of those old Jack Benny radio programs and she loved them.

One day I found a photo of him in a book and asked her if she wanted to
see what he looked like...and she said "no" ...she wanted to use her
imagination.

More than likely, the old bald guy would have disappointed her.

When the show made the transition to TV it was still popular...
but today it would have been impossible I think.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/29/2013 6:59 PM, philo wrote:
On

If it doesn't have an ethernet port, remote control and stream
Pandora, I don't want it.

The motherboards today are so small I could turn one into a high end
computer if I wanted.

I've seen "antique" desktop computer cases turned into aquariums. ^_^

TDD

I re-use old cases. My main machine is built in and old P-II server case.

I have a number of older computers and I like to hot rod them. I am
using a Dell Precision 390 that I'm going to swap out the Core 2 Duo CPU
for a quad core then drop a solid state hard drive into it along with
the 1tb and 2tb enterprise class drives I've already put in it. It's
like what I did to cars when I was a kid but since I can't really work
on cars anymore, I can hot rod computers and have the same sort of fun
even though some of them are quite heavy and a bit difficult to pick up. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
[...]

I'm sure you remember the old Zenith TV ads that ran bragging about
their hand crafted sets. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Orked, and that the Honeymooers
just happened to be on TV at the time. Then, of course, duh, I
figured it out -- but it is a cool effect.

rec.antiques.radio+phono

I've been fooling with vacuum tube radios for 50 years now.

It's a nice break from computer repair.

I'm sure you remember the old Zenith TV ads that ran bragging about
their hand crafted sets. ^_^

TDD

yep...

years ago, the company I worked for manufactured control circuits and
we'd retrofit a lot of industrial equipment.

After we tested it out, we'd slap our company's sticker on it and
jokingly quote Zenith:

The quality goes in before the name goes one.

As a matter of fact, Zenith in Chicago was one of our customers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Buck Tooth wrote:
[...]

And the big electromagnet speaker also acted as a filter choke in the
power supply - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

^_^

TDD

Speaking of cars, I am glad I got all that stuff out of me when I was
younger. Back in the late 60's a friend of mine had a Shelby-350 and it
only took him a few months to lose his license...so I became the
designated driver.

After I got out of the Army in 1971 I bought a 1959 TR-3 and owned it
until 2001. By that time I realized a car is just a blob of metal that's
supposed to get you from point A to point B

Glad I'm not one of those 60 year old guys getting his first "hot" car.

I am driving a very generic car now and am fine with it.

But yep, now it's the computer "hot rod" G
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 31 Dec 2013 13:42:46 -0600, philo* wrote:

[...]

My brother's friend was "picked up" at 173MPH. It was the old "you
can outrun a cop but you can't outrun radio". ;-)

After I got out of the Army in 1971 I bought a 1959 TR-3 and owned it
until 2001. By that time I realized a car is just a blob of metal that's
supposed to get you from point A to point B

In '71, we got a Gremlin. ;-) It didn't even do the A/-B thing.

Glad I'm not one of those 60 year old guys getting his first "hot" car.

Never really had a "hot" car. No money or no need. We do have a '14
Mustang Convertible, though. Fun to drive but it's certainly not
"hot". We finally bought a car, not because it was practical but
because it was fun.

I am driving a very generic car now and am fine with it.

But yep, now it's the computer "hot rod" G

Anyone who measures there, um, manhood, in MHz is worse than one who
measures it in HP. ...even at 60. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 31 Dec 2013 15:31:52 -0600, philo* wrote:

On 12/31/2013 03:21 PM, wrote:
On X

Speaking of cars, I am glad I got all that stuff out of me when I was
younger. Back in the late 60's a friend of mine had a Shelby-350 and it
only took him a few months to lose his license...so I became the
designated driver.

My brother's friend was "picked up" at 173MPH. It was the old "you
can outrun a cop but you can't outrun radio". ;-)

That's insane!

It was only 101 over. ;-)

After I got out of the Army in 1971 I bought a 1959 TR-3 and owned it
until 2001. By that time I realized a car is just a blob of metal that's
supposed to get you from point A to point B

In '71, we got a Gremlin. ;-) It didn't even do the A/-B thing.

At the time I thought they were ugly but saw one last year and really
liked it!

The ugly goes right through. It was the *worst* car ever, though it
did have the most appropriate name. After three years, I got $500 on
a trade in on a new car. It was that bad (and the dealer got
screwed).

Glad I'm not one of those 60 year old guys getting his first "hot" car.

Never really had a "hot" car. No money or no need. We do have a '14
Mustang Convertible, though. Fun to drive but it's certainly not
"hot". We finally bought a car, not because it was practical but
because it was fun.

I am driving a very generic car now and am fine with it.

But yep, now it's the computer "hot rod" G

Anyone who measures there, um, manhood, in MHz is worse than one who
measures it in HP. ...even at 60. ;-)

HA!

I know, it should be measured in (cu) inches, right? ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
of the radios I got free
from a guy on the radio group

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...74381396_o.jpg

Some will need repair...so I will have something to do this winter

Shipping by Greyhound averaged $20 each

Over 40 years ago, my friend had trouble with the r100 dial tracking. They
sent it back for refund. I had a r55 myself. I did. Lot of cw on that
radio.

Greg

I vaguely recall those.

My first s/w rcvr was a Knight Kit "Ocean Hopper"

Plug in coils and regenerative. It was nothing to brag about. I later got
an HQ-110-C and later a Drake 2A

Until I got that R-100 all I had left was my HQ-140-X

For a transmitter all I have is an old CB set I converted to ten meter CW

Span master, r55, national nc-270 , Heath hw100 for my early days.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
[...]

I never had a hot car. My first was a used 63 fairlane. I chewed that up a
bit.

Your story reminds me when a friend and I were going to tech school. One
day we went in his dads ,1967 Shelby GT500 . That was truly fun. The other
techies were checking it out. A week later it was gone, in like 60 seconds.
Stolen from a hospital parking lot. No more fun.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote:
philo wrote:
[...]

Hi,
What hot rod? Still slow memory, slow periphrals, limited expandability,
etc. Wasted effort.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2013 10:10 PM, gregz wrote:
philo wrote:
[...]

Those cars would be worth a ton of money today . OTOH:
No one who would spend that money would be able to enjoy them the way we
did at the time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
[...]

Those days were sure a lot of fun. I worked the world on my 50 watt
Johnson Adventurer
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
[...]

You all telling us how old you are..... Ever built a real thing like KW
xmtr with AM modulator? I used lot of military surplus. best I liked was
BC-610 TX, R390, R392 RXs Also BC779 Super Pro. Up until recently I had
HQ170, HQ180 RXs collector quality with matching speaker cab. I sold
them to a collector. I still have complete set of Collins S-line meat
ball emblem series C model. That is only tube gear radio. All other tube
gear is guitar amps full of basement. Fender, Marshall, Guytron,
Mesa Boogie, etc. plus couple home brew Marshall, Fender clones. One
converted mono block audio amp(2x6CA7 P-P output) cloning Marshall JMP
fooled every one on blind test. They couldn't tell the difference
between original and clone. I still have Heathkit GDO, a tube tester,
hombrew noise bridge I use frequently. I am still active on the air with
all mode QRP plus my favorite 5W rig(this is all digital with DSP and
brick filters w/built-in iambic keyer. My call is VE6CGX. I seldom use
ICOM IC-765 heavily mod'd TRCVR, Yaesu FT-736R fully loaded all band all
mode TRCVR. it can even do 1GHz microwave QSO. SWL rig is JRC NRD-535D,
also I use mod'd CB radio for 10M FM repeater work on DX. This unit is
good to check on 10M band condx.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 31 Dec 2013 18:26:52 -0600, philo* wrote:

On 12/31/2013 03:51 PM, wrote:

It was only 101 over. ;-)

Sheesh, I think the TR-3 was the only car I ever owned that could even
do 100 MPH. At 120 MPH the front end shook so much I was not going to
try for more.

My Gremlin would do 90MPH, downhill, with a wind. ;-) That's about
as fast as I've driven a car on an open road. The 173 was done in a
Shelby Cobra, though. The cops didn't have a hard time finding him.

After I got out of the Army in 1971 I bought a 1959 TR-3 and owned it
until 2001. By that time I realized a car is just a blob of metal that's
supposed to get you from point A to point B

In '71, we got a Gremlin. ;-) It didn't even do the A/-B thing.

At the time I thought they were ugly but saw one last year and really
liked it!

The ugly goes right through. It was the *worst* car ever, though it
did have the most appropriate name. After three years, I got $500 on
a trade in on a new car. It was that bad (and the dealer got
screwed).

Dealers don't get screwed, I am sure he found some sucker for it.

No one is that stupid.

OTOH: I am sure it's a valuable collectors item now.

It *couldn't* have survived that long. It was literally falling apart
after three years (it started immediately). What junk!

BTW: On my previous post , it was actually the Pacer I was thinking of...
way uglier than the Gremlin I thought.

Ah, yes. The fish-bowl on wheels. It certainly was ugly.

BTW: I live in Milwaukee and the cars were made in Kenosha which is just
a bit South of here. Everyone said Kenosha could not survive without
AMC. They seem to be doing better than ever !

;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2013 11:06 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

[...]

I lent out my GDM to someone years ago and doubt I will see that again.

All the Ham Gear I had back in the old days is gone. I never did get any
of those military surplus radios and I wish I had.
One of my friends picked up a couple a radar units and converted them to
1296 mhz ...that was in 1965 or so and that was considered quite
advanced in those days

I did homebrew a few things...such as a six meter transmitter plus I
built a modulator for my transmitter. It was an odd setup...being a
/cathode/ rather than a plate modulator. Since it went between cathode
and ground it reduced the transmitters power, but it worked well.

Even though I got rid of several truck loads of ancient test equipment I
still have some smaller items left...such as a six amp rectifier tube
(next to an 85 amp silicon diode)

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...91950973_n.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2013 3:51 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 31 Dec 2013 15:31:52 -0600, philo
wrote:

On 12/31/2013 03:21 PM,
wrote:
On X

[...]

No, it's measured in length you silly thing. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2014 7:36 AM, philo wrote:
[...]

It's interesting that with the very old stuff like that rectifier tube,
you can actually see it working. Think of the old reel to reel computer
tape drives and a solid state drive of today. You really can't call it a
hard drive because it has no moving parts and you can't see it working.
I remember being able to see the movement of the stepper motor moving
the heads on an old MFM hard drive I had in an IBM PC. I'm not going to
live long enough to see automobiles without wheels. The darn things will
probably fly or be magnetically levitated. The movement of technology is
making things faster and smaller but if there is some calamity that
knocks out the supporting infrastructure, it's the old clunky stuff that
will be the only things that will work. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

It's interesting that with the very old stuff like that rectifier tube,
you can actually see it working.

(snip some text)
The movement of technology is
making things faster and smaller but if there is some calamity that
knocks out the supporting infrastructure, it's the old clunky stuff that
will be the only things that will work. ^_^

TDD

You can adjust the flue on your wood stove with a
big hammer, while the wife cranks up another bucket
of water from the well. Meanwhile, rest of the
world sits in front of black screens and wonders
when it comes back on.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2013 11:18 PM, wrote:

My Gremlin would do 90MPH, downhill, with a wind. ;-) That's about
as fast as I've driven a car on an open road. The 173 was done in a
Shelby Cobra, though. The cops didn't have a hard time finding him.

I will never know what the Shelby 350 could do...
I mainly used it for street, drag racing .

I think the owner did say he "opened it up" once...but if he had it up
to 173 I probably would have remembered that

[...]

Yes they were very ugly but after many years of having not seen one...to
see one again was of kind of cool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's interesting that with the very old stuff like that rectifier tube,
you can actually see it working. Think of the old reel to reel computer
tape drives and a solid state drive of today. You really can't call it a
hard drive because it has no moving parts and you can't see it working.
I remember being able to see the movement of the stepper motor moving
the heads on an old MFM hard drive I had in an IBM PC. I'm not going to
live long enough to see automobiles without wheels. The darn things will
probably fly or be magnetically levitated. The movement of technology is
making things faster and smaller but if there is some calamity that
knocks out the supporting infrastructure, it's the old clunky stuff that
will be the only things that will work. ^_^

TDD

What I really like is looking at those old magazines from the 50's

and seeing drawings of all the atomic powered rocket cars we were going
to have by 1984.

Nothing like heating your room in the winter with the warm glow of
vacuum tubes. They were not so great in the summer though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:

[...]

IMO. high tech stuffs make people dumb and dumber. That is bad part.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2014 12:57 PM, philo wrote:

[...]

Old magazines from that era like Popular Science, Mechanics Illustrated
and Popular Mechanics always had articles about what the future would be
like. Sadly, Mechanics Illustrated died in 2001 but the other two
soldier on. Back then, most science fiction writers couldn't imagine
what the world would be like in 2014 but I keep seeing things in old
SciFi movies and TV shows that have become reality today. Of course
there is the communicator from the original Star Trek TV series that
reminds me of the early cellphones then Star Trek The Next Generation,
had what looked like iPads everywhere and video communications
terminals. I read a number of SciFi books and magazines that had stories
about a world wide communications network much like today's internet and
that was years before anything like it was even experimental. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2014 2:12 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
philo wrote:

[...]

There was a story in a SciFi magazine I read many years ago written by
one of the old great science fiction writers, who's name escapes me,
about a time traveler from the past or a fellow who had been frozen in
the past then revived in then future. The guy was bewildered by the
people who had something akin to an iPhone and had to use it to answer
any question or perform any simple mathematics. The handheld computers
were connected to a huge central computer which provided them with all
the information they needed. The future man was dependent on the hand
held computer and couldn't function without it. Does it remind you of
anything? ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]

Some videos from the Science Channel series "Prophets Of Science Fiction"
can be seen he

http://science.discovery.com/tv-show...cience-fiction

Lots of stuff that the Sci Fi authors of yesteryear dreamt up are things
that we all take for granted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

There was a story in a SciFi magazine I read many years ago written by
one of the old great science fiction writers, who's name escapes me,
about a time traveler from the past or a fellow who had been frozen in
the past then revived in then future. The guy was bewildered by the
people who had something akin to an iPhone and had to use it to answer
any question or perform any simple mathematics. The handheld computers
were connected to a huge central computer which provided them with all
the information they needed. The future man was dependent on the hand
held computer and couldn't function without it. Does it remind you of
anything? ^_^

TDD

Hang on, while I google that on my smart phone.....

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Sounds like an Asimov story.

All I ever did was read sci-fi and believed it could all come true.

Then in 1964 a read a story and Asimov went waaay to far and I knew it
was all just a big fantasy...and I stopped reading sci-fi

sheesh, a desktop computer ? That will never happen!

digital radios Dave UK diy 240 January 25th 09 01:22 PM
lot of vintage mics- CB radios-car radios-wood/bakeliteradios-receivers-mics-transceivers-TUBES-estate sale clearance ANTIQUE AUDIO Electronics Repair 0 July 25th 08 01:11 PM
What happens to old FM radios? Per Stromgren Electronics Repair 29 August 31st 04 11:15 PM
OT Digital Radios John UK diy 48 January 23rd 04 08:25 AM
[ OT ] FRS radios / 2-way radios Charlie Bress Home Repair 9 September 5th 03 06:26 PM