Posted to alt.home.repair

Default We got heat ...

Got the pipe up today for the WBS and lit me a far ... and it's just swell
! I did a bit of tune-up before I hooked it up , repaired some broken fire
bricks etc . This is a King Circulator , and I think it's going to work out
just fine . My wood was wet and green , so it took some time to build a nice
bed of coals . But once it got that sorted out it's been a steady heat .
Looks like I better get used to the chainsaw ... and go ahead and get all
the standing dead wood off my place .
Part of that tune-up was replacing loose hinge pins and tightening clamp
dogs , and it paid off . Not a trace of smoke smell from the stove , and
that means there won't be a soot problem in the house . And once I get the
logistics of fire wood worked out , I look forward to a toasty-warm and
cheap discounting labor ... heating season this year .
--
Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2013 08:20 PM, Snag wrote:
Got the pipe up today for the WBS and lit me a far ... and it's just swell
! I did a bit of tune-up before I hooked it up , repaired some broken fire
bricks etc . This is a King Circulator , and I think it's going to work out
just fine . My wood was wet and green , so it took some time to build a nice
bed of coals . But once it got that sorted out it's been a steady heat .
Looks like I better get used to the chainsaw ... and go ahead and get all
the standing dead wood off my place .
Part of that tune-up was replacing loose hinge pins and tightening clamp
dogs , and it paid off . Not a trace of smoke smell from the stove , and
that means there won't be a soot problem in the house . And once I get the
logistics of fire wood worked out , I look forward to a toasty-warm and
cheap discounting labor ... heating season this year .

Just be aware that burning unseasoned wood means you get to clean your
flue more often, or risk a chimney fire... and those can get scary...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Snag" wrote in message ...

[...]

I do not miss fire wood, at all. Rainy nights and the mess. Starting a fire
in the morning, taking a shower and running out the door before the house
warmed up. Bugs, and more bugs. However, as a secondary source of heat, and
ambiance, not a bad thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

I saw one of those a few years like 30 ... ago , and it wasn't pretty -
flaming chunks flying in the air and landing on roofs , including mine !! I
wasn't really planning on using wood heat , just kind of fell into a deal
for the stove . And since I live out in the woods and have about 15,000
trees ... I understand the dangers of creosote build-up , and how it happens
.. This year is going to be whatever I can get , but next year it'll be all
seasoned wood . I have a lot of standing dead wood , and that's what'll be
burned first , followed by the most-seasoned wood I have .
The good thing is that I'm burning all hardwoods , red and white oak .
Even so , the used stove I bought with all the pipe etc had a pretty good
layer of buildup in the flue pipe . I think the PO over-stoked and damped it
way down , a sure cause of creosote . Smaller , hotter fire should cure that
.. Best thing I found about this stove is - no wood smoke smell in my house !
Very tight , and that makes me happy as a Murff .
--
Snag
No , I don't know

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

Irreverent Maximus wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message

[...]

Been a while since you heated with wood , eh ? The technology has improved
a LOT since I had a Ben Franklin in my living room out in Utahahaha .
--
Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2013 9:36 PM, Irreverent Maximus wrote:

And once I get the logistics of fire wood worked out , I look forward
to a toasty-warm and cheap discounting labor ... heating season this
year .
--
Snag

I do not miss fire wood, at all. Rainy nights and the mess. Starting a
fire
in the morning, taking a shower and running out the door before the house
warmed up. Bugs, and more bugs. However, as a secondary source of
heat, and
ambiance, not a bad thing.

I burned wood for 20 years. I find it much easier these days to just
turn the dial on the wall. It does have advantages, but it was a lot of
work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Snag" wrote in message ...

Been a while since you heated with wood , eh ? The technology has improved
a LOT since I had a Ben Franklin in my living room out in Utahahaha .
--
Snag

Not really. I like building my fires outside. Inside, when the thermostat
works, I punch the buttons or let the auto feature work (note to self: Self,
fix that damn pilot assembly! Self, "FU, I ain't crawlin' through the ice and
under the house fer nothin'!").

I actually help my neighbor with his fire wood. He is 70 something and needs
a younger type of broken down body to help him with things. :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

I burned wood for 20 years. I find it much easier these days to just
turn the dial on the wall. It does have advantages, but it was a lot of
work.

I spent a couple of years logging and selling firewood. Then moved to a
different place that had a wood stove. Did fire wood/coal for a bit. After
I moved out, my mother (yes, this was while I was young) got a pellet stove.
She sure didn't do firewood. LOL!

Yes, the dial is a convenience that I currently, sort of, miss. I have my
furnace on manual. I light rag of alcohol, insert into hole, turn ball valve.
Voila, heat. It is not that easy, but it works. My furnace is a PITA to work
on and the guts are only accessible from down below. I should go back to a
standing pilot, but I kind of got attached to my electronic Honeywell valve.
Too bad the pilot needs some work, and maybe some McGyvering.

I have half a mind to get some second hand Fireye equipment and custom install
my own burner control system. Primarily because it would be something to build
and tinker with. Secondarily because I do not like repetitive on/off cycles
via the thermostat. Thermostat on until room temp is reached, system in standby
until my set point is reached and the cycle repeats.

When it is really cold, the damned thing will turn on for 8 minutes, off for
10, then on, then off (ad infin). Damn that. On until 78, off until 68. Then
when it is time for sleep, off until it gets down till 45, on till 65...repeat until
wake-up call.

I guess I will have another project, too. Now. that I have evicted a raccoon, I
need to blow in some insulation to cover up the blown in insulation that the
raccoon messed up. Maybe I should move. This place is nothing but projects
that I really don't want to do. Though, the burner control stuff would be a
hobby type of project.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2013 10:34 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I burned wood for 20 years. I find it much easier these days to just
turn the dial on the wall. It does have advantages, but it was a lot of
work.

You should take the dial on the wall, on camping
trips. Makes for a much nicer night sleep.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2013 9:34 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/13/2013 9:36 PM, Irreverent Maximus wrote:

And once I get the logistics of fire wood worked out , I look forward
to a toasty-warm and cheap discounting labor ... heating season this
year .
--
Snag

I do not miss fire wood, at all. Rainy nights and the mess. Starting a
fire
in the morning, taking a shower and running out the door before the house
warmed up. Bugs, and more bugs. However, as a secondary source of
heat, and
ambiance, not a bad thing.

I burned wood for 20 years. I find it much easier these days to just
turn the dial on the wall. It does have advantages, but it was a lot of
work.

I love a fire in a fireplace as long as it's not in my place. I've been
trying to get roommate to block the fireplace which hasn't seen a fire
in several years and it only let's air in and out wasting energy. o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 09:11:15 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

[...]

They make balloons that you can stuff up a chimney and inflate, to
stop drafts. It shouldn't be that big of a deal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I love a fire in a fireplace as long as it's not in my place. I've been
trying to get roommate to block the fireplace which hasn't seen a fire
in several years and it only let's air in and out wasting energy. o_O

TDD

So you use the fireplace to store all the bags of
foam noodles you get in packages? and keep
forgetting them to take back?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

They make balloons that you can stuff up a chimney and inflate, to
stop drafts. It shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I was thinking a big gob of silly putty might do the trick? ^_^

TDD

Bags of shred from the paper shredder? Mixed in with foam
peanuts. Should block the fireplace after a while.

--
..
Christopher A. Young