Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric Meter for Black Outs?

I recently hooked my generator into the main box, with a lock-out device of course. If the power goes out, I'll turn off the main switch to the street manually and flip to generator power.

The problem is how to know when the street power is back on, other than looking down the street to see if the neighbors have lights on again. When I just ran extension cords from the generator to the well, refrigerators, etc., during an outage, when the power started up again various lights would light up around the house as they had been on and were still street-connected.. Now, everything is disconnected from the street.

It would be nice if there were some sort of induction device I could clamp on the main line coming in from the street which would light up an LED if there were power in the line, but if there's no current actually flowing I don't see how it would pick up the potential voltage in the line. Is there such a thing available or will I have to invent one?

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

Hi,
I don't know if it is good enough for your purpose.
Sniff-it 2 by Triplett can sniff and beep or light up an
indicator. Take a look.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pavel314" wrote in message

[...]

Simple. Use induction method. Like a clamp amp meter works. To light your
LED

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2013 04:27 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

My thought exactly, except I'm using a similar Sperry branded product.
(the Triplett had excellent reviews, but as I recall it uses odd
batteries - CR2 I think? - whereas the Sperry uses standard AA or AAA
cells.)

However, it will probably only work if you check the individual
conductors inside the breaker box however as the braid in a service
entrance cable may prevent a NCVD from working, and if it's in metal
conduit, fuhgeddaboutit.

At that point, a test light is just as useful...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2013 3:12 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

Years ago, I installed some taps for roadies to hook up lights for the
stage in a night club. To let them know that the power was on the box
at the end of the conduit, I installed a neon pilot light for each
phase. In your case, you can get voltage sensors that can be wired to
an alarm or flashing indicator light to let you know when your main
power comes back on or just wire up a standard wall light or an exit
sign with your own panel reading "POWER". ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

Along those lines I installed a pair of neon indicators mounted to a
metal box cover, installed in a metal electrical box and connected to my
panel with a metal offset nipple. They are connected to the input side
of the main breaker directly, being ~18ga wire and enclosed in metal
enclosures if something fails they are self fusing and can't start
anything on fire. I use an interlock kit for the generator connection
(Square D kit in a Square D panel).
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote:

Along those lines I installed a pair of neon indicators mounted to a
metal box cover, installed in a metal electrical box and connected to my
panel with a metal offset nipple. They are connected to the input side
of the main breaker directly, being ~18ga wire and enclosed in metal
enclosures if something fails they are self fusing and can't start
anything on fire. I use an interlock kit for the generator connection
(Square D kit in a Square D panel).

I should add that I made those connections while I had the meter pulled
in the process of replacing my panel. I don't recommend anyone but the
most experienced make those connections with the panel live, and
certainly not under load.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2013 05:49 PM, Pete C. wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

That sounds like a good idea, and probably what I would do were I trying
to do something like this myself, I just wonder if it's code compliant?

Also, at what voltage do the neon indicators light up? e.g. will they
glow if there's say 10V on the line?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

Most standard neon pilot lights have a dropping resistor built into the
holder or base and are suitable as a power indicator for any 120vac or
240vac source. The neon pilot light needs at least 90 volts to light if
I'm remembering correctly. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure on that, code mostly is concerned with fire risk, and when
enclosed in all metal conduit and box the heat produced in the mS it
takes to vaporize an 18ga wire at fault currents couldn't possibly set
anything outside the enclosure on fire.

Also, at what voltage do the neon indicators light up? e.g. will they
glow if there's say 10V on the line?

A quick look on Digi-Key seems to indicate a 105-125VAC rating on many
indicators. I don't see a clear indication that 105VAC is the threshold,
but I expect it's not too far below that. For more $ you could install
basic panel meters, and probably inline fuses on them, though I'd still
use the indicators as well since you can check them from a distance to
see if utility power is back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2013 01:12 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

Get a contactor and wire the contacts in series with the line that comes
off of your generator, and the coil in parallel to the mains; when your
power shuts off you will know that the mains are back online.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 14:46:35 -0700, "WW"
wrote:

"Pavel314" wrote in message

[...]

A clamp meter detects CURRENT - and there is none without a load. I'm
thinking about a neon indicator connected to the line side of the main
switch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

Something like 84 volts, if memory searves me correctly
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

I always put an inline fuse holder on the power feeding the indicators
and install a 1 amp or smaller fuse.

Also, at what voltage do the neon indicators light up? e.g. will they
glow if there's say 10V on the line?

A quick look on Digi-Key seems to indicate a 105-125VAC rating on many
indicators. I don't see a clear indication that 105VAC is the threshold,
but I expect it's not too far below that. For more $ you could install
basic panel meters, and probably inline fuses on them, though I'd still
use the indicators as well since you can check them from a distance to
see if utility power is back.

I seem to recall 90vac as the lowest voltage that will light one of
those small neon pilot lights. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

You have problems accessing long term memory too? I'm getting a USB port
installed in the back of my head so I can plug in a backup drive. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

I thought of that, however I considered that the cheap in-line fuse
holders would present a greater risk when one side is always live. I
think just letting a fault vaporize the wire is safer than potentially
having someone try to replace a fuse and pulling it out bare fingered
from a live fuseholder.

Also, at what voltage do the neon indicators light up? e.g. will they
glow if there's say 10V on the line?

A quick look on Digi-Key seems to indicate a 105-125VAC rating on many
indicators. I don't see a clear indication that 105VAC is the threshold,
but I expect it's not too far below that. For more $ you could install
basic panel meters, and probably inline fuses on them, though I'd still
use the indicators as well since you can check them from a distance to
see if utility power is back.

I seem to recall 90vac as the lowest voltage that will light one of
those small neon pilot lights. ^_^

Sounds familiar to me too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

70 is what I recall. Temperature and light sensitive. Most I see die trying
to get too much brightness.

I don't see any safe option for installing.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

Using a glass fuse holder like the Littelfuse model 155 Series
Twist-Lock In-Line Holders for 3AG Fuses is a safe way to because you
can tie a knot in the pigtail wire on each end to keep the wire up in
the fuse holder. I do that if I don't have any small cable ties to wrap
around the wires to keep them from slipping out of the insulated cap.
The twist-lock in-line holders are safer than the 155 Series Heavy-Duty
Bayonet Knob In-Line Holders because there is no exposed metal when the
fuse holder is opened.

http://www.littelfuse.com/products/f...rs/155100.aspx

http://www.littelfuse.com/products/f...ers/15500.aspx

The problem with your fuse-link wire is if it melts, the wire could
touch the metal housing if the insulation burns off. You could your fuse
link inside some fiberglass sleeve like what is used to insulate
electric motor lead wires. It's heat resistant and the burned wire will
not burn through.

http://www.essexbrownell.com/tubingandsleeving.aspx

Also, at what voltage do the neon indicators light up? e.g. will they
glow if there's say 10V on the line?

A quick look on Digi-Key seems to indicate a 105-125VAC rating on many
indicators. I don't see a clear indication that 105VAC is the threshold,
but I expect it's not too far below that. For more $ you could install
basic panel meters, and probably inline fuses on them, though I'd still
use the indicators as well since you can check them from a distance to
see if utility power is back.

I seem to recall 90vac as the lowest voltage that will light one of
those small neon pilot lights. ^_^

Sounds familiar to me too.

I have years of experience shorting out and burning up electrical and
electronic stuff when I've done my mad scientist like experiments with
electricity. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 13:12:50 -0800 (PST), Pavel314
wrote:

It would be nice if there were some sort of induction device I could
clamp on the main line coming in from the street

Get yourself a robotic leg. Connect it to the mains from the meter.
When the power comes back on, the leg kicks your generator over, or
kicks you in the ass......

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

? Pull the meter and install with everything safely unpowered. If you
are very experienced, turn off the main breaker so no load, put on your
insulating gloves and face shield and carefully loosen the main input
lug, slip in the indicator wire and retighten.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

Some utility meters have LEDs that indicate there is power. A
'non-contact' voltage tester might indicate if held next to the meter in
the right spot. I don't know of a simple method other than that I would
use to show the power is back on.

[...]

So what happens if the #18 wire acts as a fuse? There are a few thousand
amps fault current available at the service. A fault of a few thousand
amps through #18 wire will continue an arc over a rather long distance.
And what will happen with the 'spring' in the wire - where will the
wires go when they are broken at the arc?

That sounds like a good idea, and probably what I would do were I trying
to do something like this myself, I just wonder if it's code compliant?

Nope.

I'm not sure on that, code mostly is concerned with fire risk, and when
enclosed in all metal conduit and box the heat produced in the mS it
takes to vaporize an 18ga wire at fault currents couldn't possibly set
anything outside the enclosure on fire.

It is a rather different case. But downtown there was a maybe 8 story
building that had a fire. They tore it down to the first floor and
basement, installed a ramp, and used what was left as a parking lot. The
original service remained (208/120V), far larger than needed, with 6
parallel sets of service wires. They cleverly stored salt for the ramp
on top of the service switchgear. The service wound up with an arc-fault
and burned down. Some of the service wires burned back into the supply
conduits. Some of them were live in the conduit. Some wires welded to
the conduit and the utility couldn't pull them out with a comealong.
(The wires were protected by "cable limiters" at the utility transformer
vault.

I always put an inline fuse holder on the power feeding the indicators
and install a 1 amp or smaller fuse.

So what happens if there is a large fault current through the fuse? Like
the wire, with high current the arc continues and the fuse and fuse
holder blow up. Fuses have a rating for available fault current. In most
applications on a branch circuit you don't think about it. When you have
high fault currents available you have to (and are required to by the NEC).

[The fuses included in some Fluke meters are rated for high fault
currents and the meters have a "category" rating for use where there are
high available fault currents.]

Is a problem likely? Don't know. But I wouldn't connect anything to the
service wire terminals.

Also, at what voltage do the neon indicators light up? e.g. will they
glow if there's say 10V on the line?

A quick look on Digi-Key seems to indicate a 105-125VAC rating on many
indicators. I don't see a clear indication that 105VAC is the threshold,
but I expect it's not too far below that. For more $ you could install
basic panel meters, and probably inline fuses on them, though I'd still
use the indicators as well since you can check them from a distance to
see if utility power is back.

I seem to recall 90vac as the lowest voltage that will light one of
those small neon pilot lights. ^_^

TDD

NE-51 (bayonet base) and NE-2 (wire lead) are common neon pilot lights.
They trigger on at about 65V (and would be used at a higher voltage).
Neon lamps must have a series resistor which is built into the
assemblies above.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

Bud, I think you may have been responding to the wrong poster but your
thoughts are welcome. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

If an arc is maintained on the 18ga wire it won't be for long.
Ultimately it will burn back to extinguish the arc in a matter of
milliseconds. Either way there is no chance of it starting a sustained
fire in my house. Safety wise it's not much different than a wire nut
coming loose, something that happens from time to time.

That sounds like a good idea, and probably what I would do were I trying
to do something like this myself, I just wonder if it's code compliant?

Nope.

No code requirements here so I don't care.

[...]

Do a test with 18ga wire connected across even a 100A breaker, much less
a service drop limited only by the transformer and see if any of the
wire is left. My assessment is that installing any kind of replaceable
fuse presents more of a hazard than the non-replaceable fuse-link the
wire presents.

I always put an inline fuse holder on the power feeding the indicators
and install a 1 amp or smaller fuse.

So what happens if there is a large fault current through the fuse? Like
the wire, with high current the arc continues and the fuse and fuse
holder blow up. Fuses have a rating for available fault current. In most
applications on a branch circuit you don't think about it. When you have
high fault currents available you have to (and are required to by the NEC).

[The fuses included in some Fluke meters are rated for high fault
currents and the meters have a "category" rating for use where there are
high available fault currents.]

Is a problem likely? Don't know. But I wouldn't connect anything to the
service wire terminals.

Every single automatic transfer switch connects monitoring to the
utility service. It's a total non-issue, much like 3D printed guns.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2013 4:12 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

My transfer box only isolates and works on certain circuits.
When power is restored the unisolated circuits come back on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

Many vehicles have a fuse link inside a thick heat resistant silicone
rubber jacket. When the wire melts, it doesn't penetrate the insulation
so it's very safe. You can make your own safe fuse link with #18 wire by
putting it inside some braided fiberglass insulated sleeve like what is
used inside electric motors or appliances with electric heating
elements. ^_^

http://www.electroinsulation.com/ext...-sleeving.html

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ojf2x7h

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2013 01:14 PM, Frank wrote:
[...]

Indeed, and if the OP had that kind of setup, with certain selected
circuits being run from a generator sub-panel, it would be trivial to
put a pair of lights on the load side of a two pole breaker in the main
panel. My understanding of what the OP had was only one panel, with a
main breaker that was connected to the service, and a separate breaker
"backfeeding" the panel from the generator, with an interlock device so
that only one of the two (main breaker and generator breaker) could be
in the "on" position at any time. Thus if the generator is in use, the
main breaker is turned off and therefore the only way to check for
voltage on the service is at the service itself, hence this whole
discussion.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

A REAL simple way to use a neon with no fault current issues - connect
one end of an ne2 to L1 or L2 and attach about 10 inches of insulated
wire on the other end - capacitive ground will light the neon.

I used to have an ne2 attached to the end of my CB antenna - and it
lit every time I keyed the mic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Pavel314" wrote in message

I recently hooked my generator into the main box, with a lock-out device of
course. If the power goes out, I'll turn off the main switch to the street
manually and flip to generator power.

Snip
Simple. Use induction method. Like a clamp amp meter works. To light your
LED

A clamp meter detects CURRENT - and there is none without a load. I'm
thinking about a neon indicator connected to the line side of the main
switch.

In commercial high use of power a current (transformer) in line with the
load. Referring to high amps usage. 400, 800, 1000 or more. A copper bar is
wrapped with coils of small wire.
This produces a voltage the is connected to a normal utility electric meter
(like one on your house) this is then measured indicating usage divided by
the amp size of the current transformer. So a few turns of wire around the
line wire can produce a small voltage. There Must Be a load current in the
line wire for this to work. I will try to come up with a practical setup and
get back to this site. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

Time depends on fault current, wire 'spring, magnetic effects.

Safety wise it's not much different than a wire nut
coming loose, something that happens from time to time.

You don't have thousands of amps available at a wire nut.

[...]

I have seen videos of using the wrong meter in a high capacity
disconnect where the meter lead failure propagated to an arc-flash. That
started with 'none of the wire left'.

[...]

Part of a listed device, and not likely unprotected #18 wire connected
to service wires.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2013 12:56 PM, Pete C. wrote:
Every single automatic transfer switch connects monitoring to the
utility service. It's a total non-issue, much like 3D printed guns.

FWIW, my 200 amp Generac ATS has a 15 amp breaker for the board that monitors the utility power.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bubba wrote:

On 12/13/2013 12:56 PM, Pete C. wrote:
Every single automatic transfer switch connects monitoring to the
utility service. It's a total non-issue, much like 3D printed guns.

FWIW, my 200 amp Generac ATS has a 15 amp breaker for the board that monitors the utility power.

My 18ga wires to the indicators will "fuse" at 15A.