Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric Meter for Black Outs?

On 12/12/2013 4:56 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 12/12/2013 05:49 PM, Pete C. wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

On 12/12/2013 3:12 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
I recently hooked my generator into the main box, with a
lock-out device of course. If the power goes out, I'll turn off
the main switch to the street manually and flip to generator
power.

The problem is how to know when the street power is back on,
other than looking down the street to see if the neighbors have
lights on again. When I just ran extension cords from the
generator to the well, refrigerators, etc., during an outage,
when the power started up again various lights would light up
around the house as they had been on and were still
street-connected. Now, everything is disconnected from the
street.

It would be nice if there were some sort of induction device I
could clamp on the main line coming in from the street which
would light up an LED if there were power in the line, but if
there's no current actually flowing I don't see how it would
pick up the potential voltage in the line. Is there such a
thing available or will I have to invent one?

Paul

Years ago, I installed some taps for roadies to hook up lights
for the stage in a night club. To let them know that the power
was on the box at the end of the conduit, I installed a neon
pilot light for each phase. In your case, you can get voltage
sensors that can be wired to an alarm or flashing indicator light
to let you know when your main power comes back on or just wire
up a standard wall light or an exit sign with your own panel
reading "POWER". ^_^

TDD

Along those lines I installed a pair of neon indicators mounted to
a metal box cover, installed in a metal electrical box and
connected to my panel with a metal offset nipple. They are
connected to the input side of the main breaker directly, being
~18ga wire and enclosed in metal enclosures if something fails they
are self fusing and can't start anything on fire. I use an
interlock kit for the generator connection (Square D kit in a
Square D panel).

That sounds like a good idea, and probably what I would do were I
trying to do something like this myself, I just wonder if it's code
compliant?

Also, at what voltage do the neon indicators light up? e.g. will
they glow if there's say 10V on the line?

nate

Most standard neon pilot lights have a dropping resistor built into the
holder or base and are suitable as a power indicator for any 120vac or
240vac source. The neon pilot light needs at least 90 volts to light if
I'm remembering correctly. ^_^

TDD