Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric meter replaced

My electricity meter was replaced yesterday as it was 10 years old. They
replaced the electronic one with the flashing LED with the old clockwork thing
(reconditioned with 69000 on the clock) saying that this one would last 20
years. The fitter also said he would change some cables - which seemed a bit
strange to me. Anyway he removed the red (line) wire ok but was unable to undo
the neutral terminal in the suppliers fuse - been undisturbed for precisely 40
years. I left him hammering the screwdriver...
A photo (angle restricted) of part of the "improvement" is at:-
http://www.diy.110mb.com/meter.jpg
the incoming wires are to the left of the meter.

Even if he had succeeded in replacing both 9" lengths of wire, what would be the
point when, post-meter, the cable was still the old size?

--
Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Geo" wrote in message
[...]

From the photo it looks as though:
He is replacing single insulated cable with double - to modern standards?
He is replacing tails with 40 year old insulation - probably required to do
this anyway, rather than assess it's state, 40 year old stuff needs
replacing as a given.
He is replacing stuff that's easier to tamper with (large croc clips anyone)
with tough stuff that isn't - sign of the times

I would have been suprised if he hadn't replaced them!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Electric meter advise [email protected] UK diy 0 January 22nd 07 08:04 PM
Electric Meter Lugs [email protected] Home Repair 5 October 28th 06 04:18 PM
Electric meter seals no idea UK diy 34 October 6th 06 03:12 PM
Electric Meter Re-location ianw UK diy 6 October 19th 05 11:46 AM
Electric Meter Covers Séan Connolly UK diy 4 November 22nd 04 07:37 AM