ianw

Default Electric Meter Re-location

Hello,
I am looking to relocate our electricity meter to an exterior box and
have a sub-main run to the fusebox.
Does this work have to be done by the utility company or can an
electrician do it?
I imagine both will have to be involved meaning maximum expense for me!
Thanks,
Ian
Perthshire

Lobster

ianw wrote:

I am looking to relocate our electricity meter to an exterior box and
have a sub-main run to the fusebox.
Does this work have to be done by the utility company or can an
electrician do it?
I imagine both will have to be involved meaning maximum expense for me!

That'll be an electricco job. I would have thought they'd do the whole
task though, unless your fusebox (consumer unit) is an exceptionally
long way from the proposed exterior box. They'll stipulate their
requirements; eg you might need to get any building-type work done
separately?

David
fred

In article , Lobster
writes
ianw wrote:

I am looking to relocate our electricity meter to an exterior box and
have a sub-main run to the fusebox.
Does this work have to be done by the utility company or can an
electrician do it?
I imagine both will have to be involved meaning maximum expense for me!

That'll be an electricco job. I would have thought they'd do the whole
task though, unless your fusebox (consumer unit) is an exceptionally
long way from the proposed exterior box. They'll stipulate their
requirements; eg you might need to get any building-type work done
separately?

I remember someone reporting having this done outside the electrico loop
in the past. I raised an eyebrow at the time but it made sense as it was
explained that during building works a meter might have to move
temporarily then be moved back. IIRC the sequence was for the contractor
to send a notification of works to the supply company then wait 2 weeks
for screams from them, then carry out the works and re-notify the supply
company that they can reseal the meter. In this instance the temporary
move of the meter for building works just happens to occur on the same
day as the move to the new meter box ;-).

A google might find the article concerned, probably from a couple of years
back.
--
fred
The Natural Philosopher

fred wrote:

In article , Lobster
writes

ianw wrote:

[...]

We did this.

Relocated it all ourselves..electrico came and inspected, ticked,
resealed and said 'tsk tsk, but its fine now',,BUT they had to pull the
100A fuse on the main trasnformer circuit to allow us to do it 'not
live' and put it back afterwards..so unless yiou want to work on a live
setup, you may need to do the same.

2 meters from meter to CU is all you are allowed as well.

Paul

ianw wrote:
Hello,
I am looking to relocate our electricity meter to an exterior box and
have a sub-main run to the fusebox.
Does this work have to be done by the utility company or can an
electrician do it?
I imagine both will have to be involved meaning maximum expense for me!
Thanks,
Ian
Perthshire

I wanted mine moved and trying to find the correct company to do it took
2 hours on the phone and in the end nobody would do it as the move was
only a matter of inches it wasn't a big enough job for the electricity
board but to big for powergens contractors (couldn't even pay anybody).
Gave up in the end and will find a sparky to do it. Apparently the only
come back is if your power supplier finds out and decides to prosecute.
But as they can't answer the phone I don't they will come and have a look.

Paul

Colin Wilson

I am looking to relocate our electricity meter to an exterior box and
have a sub-main run to the fusebox.

YGM

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and " ****
fred

In article , The
Natural Philosopher writes
fred wrote:

[...]

Ta, I have the benefit of a separate board fuse which I can pull myself. I
need to move it 5m but will be putting in a fused sub main.
--
fred
Plusnet's marketing tag for Broadband Premier: "I need a feature packed service

Gas meter box location [email protected] UK diy 1 June 2nd 05 01:27 PM
ESR meter danbob5 Electronics Repair 2 June 1st 05 06:37 PM
Noisy gas meter JustMe UK diy 12 April 28th 05 01:59 PM
Electric meter: Siemens S2AS: taking readings [email protected] UK diy 3 December 23rd 04 01:17 PM
Can you measure Impedance with an Ohm Meter....... Verdons Electronics Repair 9 July 19th 03 07:16 PM