Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to tell if a Heater is for LP or Nat Gas?

I picked up one of those semi-portable (no chimney needed) gas
fireplaces at an auction. The price was right, so I bought it. On the
rear is a label that says "how to connect", and it lists both LP and Nat
gas. But nowhere on the unit does it say which gas it's setup for.
Aparently this same model was made for both gasses and was factory set
for the type needed. There likely was a label somewhere when it was
new, but that is long gone.

I suppose I could take it apart and find the orfices, then contact the
manufacturer, but I'm thinking there may be an easier way.

The other thought is to just hook it up to a portable 20lb LP tank and
if the flames are too large, then it's made for Nat gas.

Is there any other way to find out?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 19:44:26 -0700, wrote:

I picked up one of those semi-portable (no chimney needed) gas
fireplaces at an auction. The price was right, so I bought it. On the
rear is a label that says "how to connect", and it lists both LP and Nat
gas. But nowhere on the unit does it say which gas it's setup for.
Aparently this same model was made for both gasses and was factory set
for the type needed. There likely was a label somewhere when it was
new, but that is long gone.

I suppose I could take it apart and find the orfices, then contact the
manufacturer, but I'm thinking there may be an easier way.

The other thought is to just hook it up to a portable 20lb LP tank and
if the flames are too large, then it's made for Nat gas.

Is there any other way to find out?

Required by Law to label with a 'permanently' afixed indication as to
which.

"We are a nation governed by Laws, randomly enforced" - Frank Zappa