Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Remaining Propane In Hand-held Bernzomatic Torch ?

I have a standard hand-held Benzomatic propane torch, probably 35+ years old. Fortunately I have never run out of gas in the middle of an important project, and I do have 3 hardware stores within a five minute drive. But I sometimes do projects late at nite after the stores would be closed, and it would be nice to know when my propane cylinder (~2.75" diameter, 11" long)is about to run out.
I could weigh an empty cylinder, but that could be tomorrow or late next year, I don't have a clue how much my present cylinder has been used. Ideas ???

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 5 Dec 2013 12:22:48 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I have a standard hand-held Benzomatic propane torch, probably 35+ years

old. Fortunately I have never run out of gas in the middle of an
important project, and I do have 3 hardware stores within a five minute
drive. But I sometimes do projects late at nite after the stores would
be closed, and it would be nice to know when my propane cylinder (~2.75"
diameter, 11" long)is about to run out.
I could weigh an empty cylinder, but that could be tomorrow or late next

year, I don't have a clue how much my present cylinder has been used.
Ideas ???

JUST KEEP AN EXTRA TANK ON HAND. THEY COST LESS THAN $5. THEY DONT GO
BAD. YOUR QUESTION IS POINTLESS.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Posted to alt.home.repair

I guess I should have asked for POLITE IDEAS. Anyway, I am trying to clean up my workbench and workshop and would rather not have an extra cylinder around unless I will be needing it in the short term.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2013 3:46 PM, Don Phillipson wrote:
wrote in message
.
I could weigh an empty cylinder, but that could be tomorrow or late next
year

Next time you buy a full cylinder, do you think the store
would allow you to weigh a returned empty as well?

The 14.1 ouncers are sent out with the trash,
not returned.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 5 Dec 2013 12:58:16 -0800 (PST), "
wrote in
Re
Remaining Propane In Hand-held Bernzomatic Torch ?:

I guess I should have asked for POLITE IDEAS. Anyway, I am trying to clean up my workbench and workshop and would rather not have an extra cylinder around unless I will be needing it in the short term.

Yeah, people here get irate when someone posts a dumb and poorly
formatted question; which is typical for a GG poster. But still it
would be nice to see polite replies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Emma Genius has a great idea. I do have a Harbor Freight infrared scanner and will try her suggestion overnight tonight. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2013 5:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Frank wrote:
On 12/5/2013 3:22 PM, wrote:
I have a standard hand-held Benzomatic propane torch, probably 35+ years
old. Fortunately I have never run out of gas in the middle of an
important project, and I do have 3 hardware stores within a five minute
drive. But I sometimes do projects late at nite after the stores would
be closed, and it would be nice to know when my propane cylinder (~2.75"
diameter, 11" long)is about to run out.
I could weigh an empty cylinder, but that could be tomorrow or late next
year, I don't have a clue how much my present cylinder has been used. Ideas ???

My Master Mechanic torch must be that old too and I either got new tank
or it is still near full.

I notice all they give is a tare weight and you would have had to weight
it when new to see when near empty.

I also note that the squatter tanks used for my camp stove will fit the
torch. They are fairly cheap and I have extra so I need not worry about
the torch running out.

Also think if you shake the tank and do not feel liquid squishing around
it may be near empty.

I have a cylinder in my garage at this very moment that I can hear/feel
liquid moving around when I shake it, yet when I hook it up to my portable
grill, the burner will not ignite.

Swap in a different, apparently fuller one (heavier and louder) and the
grill works fine.

That makes no sense but I gave up on trying to figure out when I needed
more gas for my grill and now just keep around an extra filled tank.

Reminds me that I had been grousing about Blue Rhino only selling 4 gal
of propane in their 5 gallon tanks. Then, I talked to a guy that had a
tank overfilled resulting in a fireball type explosion that nearly
killed him. Better safe than sorry.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
On 12/5/2013 3:22 PM, wrote:
[...]

I always have multiple cylinders around because I have a portable grill,
camp stove, a couple of lanterns, torches, etc.

For long camping trips I take a 20 lb tank. I have hoses and a T fitting so
I can run my grill and stove off of one tank and never worry about running
out.

Reminds me that I had been grousing about Blue Rhino only selling 4 gal
of propane in their 5 gallon tanks.

BJ's fills the 20 lb tanks all the way for a lot cheaper than any trade-in
place. However, they charge full price regardless of how much is left in
the tank. U-Haul charges only for what they put in the tank, but it usually
takes longer to get them filled than at BJ's. They are cheaper than BJ's
even for a full tank but there are times when I want to get in and out.
BJ's is always much faster.

Then, I talked to a guy that had a tank overfilled resulting in a
fireball type explosion that nearly killed him.
Better safe than sorry.

Uh...yeah...we hear about that sort of thing happening all the time, don't
we?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2013 7:15 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Dean Hoffman " wrote:
On 12/5/13 2:22 PM, wrote:
I have a standard hand-held Benzomatic propane torch, probably 35+
years old. Fortunately I have never run out of gas in the middle of
an important project, and I do have 3 hardware stores within a five
minute drive. But I sometimes do projects late at nite after the
stores would be closed, and it would be nice to know when my propane
cylinder (~2.75" diameter, 11" long)is about to run out. I could
weigh an empty cylinder, but that could be tomorrow or late next
year, I don't have a clue how much my present cylinder has been used.
Ideas ???

There are tank level indicators.
Examples he
http://tinyurl.com/mlufazw

Got any for the 14.1 or 16 oz tanks like the OP is talking about?

He's talking about this...

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...3f13a_1000.jpg

Principle is the same and they should work on any tank. They just show
temperature at different levels. But, one of the things I tried and did
not work well. The IR thermometer mentioned sounds like a good idea but
one would cost probably more than 10 full propane bottles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/13 6:15 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Dean Hoffman " wrote:
On 12/5/13 2:22 PM, wrote:
I have a standard hand-held Benzomatic propane torch, probably 35+
years old. Fortunately I have never run out of gas in the middle of
an important project, and I do have 3 hardware stores within a five
minute drive. But I sometimes do projects late at nite after the
stores would be closed, and it would be nice to know when my propane
cylinder (~2.75" diameter, 11" long)is about to run out. I could
weigh an empty cylinder, but that could be tomorrow or late next
year, I don't have a clue how much my present cylinder has been used.
Ideas ???

There are tank level indicators.
Examples he
http://tinyurl.com/mlufazw

Got any for the 14.1 or 16 oz tanks like the OP is talking about?

He's talking about this...

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...3f13a_1000.jpg

That's what I envisioned. Some of the level indicators in the
pictures in the link are just like a piece of tape. They change color
at the propane level. I suspect the circumference of the tank doesn't
matter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a standard hand-held Benzomatic propane torch, probably 35+ years old. Fortunately I have never run out of gas in the middle of an important project, and I do have 3 hardware stores within a five minute drive. But I sometimes do projects late at nite after the stores would be closed, and it would be nice to know when my propane cylinder (~2.75" diameter, 11" long)is about to run out.
I could weigh an empty cylinder, but that could be tomorrow or late next year, I don't have a clue how much my present cylinder has been used. Ideas ???

The empty 14.1 oz torch tank weighs about 15 oz (430 grams, actually)
so a full tank weighs 830 grams - 400 gramms of it Propane.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2013 3:21 PM, Frank wrote:

Reminds me that I had been grousing about Blue Rhino only selling 4 gal
of propane in their 5 gallon tanks. Then, I talked to a guy that had a
tank overfilled resulting in a fireball type explosion that nearly
killed him. Better safe than sorry.

I don't have any problem with anybody putting 4 gallons in a 5 gallon tank.
I DO have a problem when they charge you what 8 gallons would cost
for that 4 gallons in a 5 gallon tank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2013 5:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I have a cylinder in my garage at this very moment that I can hear/feel
liquid moving around when I shake it, yet when I hook it up to my portable
grill, the burner will not ignite.

Swap in a different, apparently fuller one (heavier and louder) and the
grill works fine.

Not necessarily liquid propane, right? Might be
water, or ....

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/5/2013 5:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I have a cylinder in my garage at this very moment that I can hear/feel
liquid moving around when I shake it, yet when I hook it up to my portable
grill, the burner will not ignite.

Swap in a different, apparently fuller one (heavier and louder) and the
grill works fine.

Not necessarily liquid propane, right? Might be
water, or ....

How would water get in the cylinder?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2013 4:51 PM, Emma Genius wrote:

Put the propane tank in the freezer for 30 minutes.
Pull it out and start scanning the tank from top to bottom with an
infrared thermometer.
As the tank warms up, you'll notice the temp changes drastically at the
liquid level.

If you don't have an infrared thermometer, now you have a reason to go
buy one.
And for the love of God, get a spare tank of propane while you're at the
store. ;=)

I wish to nominate this post for the common sense of
the week award. And the OP should go ahead and buy
a propane cylinder, and get it over with.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/6/2013 7:05 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I have a cylinder in my garage at this very moment that I can hear/feel
liquid moving around when I shake it, yet when I hook it up to my portable
grill, the burner will not ignite.

Not necessarily liquid propane, right? Might be
water, or ....

How would water get in the cylinder?

1) cheaper than propane, so someone came up
with the idea to put some in, and fake out
the scales
2) hose left open during the rain storm, and
then hooked to the tank; water goes ahead of
the LPG
3) evil gremlins theory

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/6/2013 7:05 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I have a cylinder in my garage at this very moment that I can hear/feel
liquid moving around when I shake it, yet when I hook it up to my portable
grill, the burner will not ignite.

Not necessarily liquid propane, right? Might be
water, or ....

How would water get in the cylinder?

Just for giggles, you may want to tip the
cylinder upside down, and open the tank
valve. See if a bunch of rusty water comes
out. Might not work with OPD that needs a
device attached. Put your 16 ounce refil
adaptor on, to fake out the thread valve.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 08:51:22 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 12/5/2013 7:39 PM, wrote:

Tare weight IS the empty weight. They weigh 430 grams empty (tare) and
830 grams full

But that is for a tank in them foreign countries. We don't have those
gram things here in the US of A. Our gas would weigh in at 14 AMERICAN
ounces.

As would the empty tank - making the full tank something awfull close
to 28 oz - or 1 3/4 lbs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/6/2013 7:05 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I have a cylinder in my garage at this very moment that I can hear/feel
liquid moving around when I shake it, yet when I hook it up to my portable
grill, the burner will not ignite.

Not necessarily liquid propane, right? Might be
water, or ....

How would water get in the cylinder?

Just for giggles, you may want to tip the
cylinder upside down, and open the tank
valve. See if a bunch of rusty water comes
out. Might not work with OPD that needs a
device attached. Put your 16 ounce refil
adaptor on, to fake out the thread valve.

At the risk of repeating myself....

Cylinder, not tank. This whole thread is about the small propane cylinders,
not the 20 lb tanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/6/2013 7:05 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I have a cylinder in my garage at this very moment that I can hear/feel
liquid moving around when I shake it, yet when I hook it up to my portable
grill, the burner will not ignite.

Not necessarily liquid propane, right? Might be
water, or ....

How would water get in the cylinder?

1) cheaper than propane, so someone came up
with the idea to put some in, and fake out
the scales
2) hose left open during the rain storm, and
then hooked to the tank; water goes ahead of
the LPG
3) evil gremlins theory

Cylinder, not tank. This whole thread is about the small propane cylinders,
not the 20 lb tanks.

Only #3 could possibly apply.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 5 Dec 2013 15:46:59 -0500, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

wrote in message
.
I could weigh an empty cylinder, but that could be tomorrow or late next
year

Next time you buy a full cylinder, do you think the store
would allow you to weigh a returned empty as well?

In the US, they are not returned. They are disposible. (Which I always
felt was wrong).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/6/2013 4:29 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/6/2013 7:05 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I have a cylinder in my garage at this very moment that I can hear/feel
liquid moving around when I shake it, yet when I hook it up to my portable
grill, the burner will not ignite.

Not necessarily liquid propane, right? Might be
water, or ....

How would water get in the cylinder?

Just for giggles, you may want to tip the
cylinder upside down, and open the tank
valve. See if a bunch of rusty water comes
out. Might not work with OPD that needs a
device attached. Put your 16 ounce refil
adaptor on, to fake out the thread valve.

At the risk of repeating myself....

Cylinder, not tank. This whole thread is about the small propane cylinders,
not the 20 lb tanks.

So, you shook a 14.1 and hooked it up to
your grill, which didn't ignite? Really?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/6/2013 7:05 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I have a cylinder in my garage at this very moment that I can hear/feel
liquid moving around when I shake it, yet when I hook it up to my portable
grill, the burner will not ignite.

Not necessarily liquid propane, right? Might be
water, or ....

How would water get in the cylinder?

Just for giggles, you may want to tip the
cylinder upside down, and open the tank
valve. See if a bunch of rusty water comes
out. Might not work with OPD that needs a
device attached. Put your 16 ounce refil
adaptor on, to fake out the thread valve.

At the risk of repeating myself....

Cylinder, not tank. This whole thread is about the small propane cylinders,
not the 20 lb tanks.

So, you shook a 14.1 and hooked it up to
your grill, which didn't ignite? Really?

Really.

Actually, it was a 16.4 oz. You'll note that I said portable grill.

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/72...84_500X500.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/6/2013 9:46 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
At the risk of repeating myself....

Cylinder, not tank. This whole thread is about the small propane cylinders,
not the 20 lb tanks.

So, you shook a 14.1 and hooked it up to
your grill, which didn't ignite? Really?

Really.

Actually, it was a 16.4 oz. You'll note that I said portable grill.

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/72...84_500X500.jpg

That is so incredibly helpful. When people write
gas grill, I think of the pedestal type, with the
twenty pounder. Thanks for correcting the oops,
and clearing that up.

Those table top grills sure can be wonderful. Take
them on picnics. And thy can be used to cook when
the electric is off, and the electric range is cold.
Not recommended to use indoors for heat, but when
things are desperate. I do remember a friend who had
a winter power cut, and used that and several other
propane devices to fight the cold.

How water would get into one of them tanks? Only
if done at the factory. The other thing, is that when
the tank is cold (such as being outdoors these days)
the temperature and pressure in the tank fall. If
you warm the tank a bit, the pressure may come back
to normal. I've had that happen when I was trying to
warm a camp building in the winter, while doing some
rewiring.

--
..
Christopher A. Young