Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Remaining Propane In Hand-held Bernzomatic Torch ?

On 12/6/2013 10:40 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

That's something else I've never heard before. I routinely take
the torch off the bottle at work. They ride in the service panels of my
work pickup that way.
I've had the valves fail open a few times over the years. It seems
like it's during cold weather. I want to say somewhere in the mid teens
F or colder.
I'll have to look at the destructions on a bottle if they're still
legible.

One friend of mine left the torch head on the
tank, in back of his Ford truck. He says he's
not sure how, but the propane explosion put
him in the hospital for a while with burns. I
suspect he leaned in, and lit a cigarette. I
suspect the valve on the torch got opened, and
he didn't notice the propane odor.

He's lost two Ford trucks. The other one was
when welding, and a spark landed on the carpet
in the back, and took off from there.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 21:12:36 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 12/6/2013 4:29 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/6/2013 7:05 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I have a cylinder in my garage at this very moment that I can hear/feel
liquid moving around when I shake it, yet when I hook it up to my portable
grill, the burner will not ignite.

Not necessarily liquid propane, right? Might be
water, or ....

How would water get in the cylinder?

Just for giggles, you may want to tip the
cylinder upside down, and open the tank
valve. See if a bunch of rusty water comes
out. Might not work with OPD that needs a
device attached. Put your 16 ounce refil
adaptor on, to fake out the thread valve.

At the risk of repeating myself....

Cylinder, not tank. This whole thread is about the small propane cylinders,
not the 20 lb tanks.

So, you shook a 14.1 and hooked it up to
your grill, which didn't ignite? Really?

He DID say a portable grill. I've had a couple of those useless 1.5 sq
ft (at best) portable grills, and unless it's a high end brand like a
Weber they are all useless. Can't keep them lit with the lid closed on
most of them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 07:40:13 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 12/6/2013 9:46 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
At the risk of repeating myself....

Cylinder, not tank. This whole thread is about the small propane cylinders,
not the 20 lb tanks.

So, you shook a 14.1 and hooked it up to
your grill, which didn't ignite? Really?

Really.

Actually, it was a 16.4 oz. You'll note that I said portable grill.

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/72...84_500X500.jpg

That is so incredibly helpful. When people write
gas grill, I think of the pedestal type, with the
twenty pounder. Thanks for correcting the oops,
and clearing that up.

Those table top grills sure can be wonderful. Take
them on picnics. And thy can be used to cook when
the electric is off, and the electric range is cold.
Not recommended to use indoors for heat, but when
things are desperate. I do remember a friend who had
a winter power cut, and used that and several other
propane devices to fight the cold.

Set most of them on a picnic table and they light the table on fire.
The vast majority are cheap Chinese crap with no certification - and
are useless at best, and dangerous in many cases.

How water would get into one of them tanks? Only
if done at the factory. The other thing, is that when
the tank is cold (such as being outdoors these days)
the temperature and pressure in the tank fall. If
you warm the tank a bit, the pressure may come back
to normal. I've had that happen when I was trying to
warm a camp building in the winter, while doing some
rewiring.

Perhaps water could get in if someone was refilling them with REALLY
crappy adapters that were left out in the rain.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

I've had a few portable grills in the past few decades. I have never had a
problem keeping them lit with the lid closed. In fact, the opposite is
true. I've had trouble keeping them cool enough with the lid closed. Low is
not usually low enough and I sometimes prop the lid open an inch or two to
help control the heat.

My current grill is a Sunbeam and I think it's the best I've had.

Useless? When I think back over the countless family picnics, sporting
event tailgating sessions, camping trips and lunches in the park with
SWMBO, "useless" is not a word I would assign to a portable grill.

My kids come by to borrow mine quite often these days, so as my use of it
for them trails off, their direct use of it increases.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 16:38:59 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

The Sunbeam and Weber are the only ones I've used that HAVE worked -
and the Sunbeam did burn a hole in the picnic table.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/2013 11:08 AM, wrote:
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/72...84_500X500.jpg

That is so incredibly helpful. When people write
gas grill, I think of the pedestal type, with the
twenty pounder. Thanks for correcting the oops,
and clearing that up.

Those table top grills sure can be wonderful. Take
them on picnics. And thy can be used to cook when
the electric is off, and the electric range is cold.
Not recommended to use indoors for heat, but when
things are desperate. I do remember a friend who had
a winter power cut, and used that and several other
propane devices to fight the cold.

Set most of them on a picnic table and they light the table on fire.
The vast majority are cheap Chinese crap with no certification - and
are useless at best, and dangerous in many cases.

Can't say as I remember ever hearing the FD called
to a picnic table fire. Do you have an online link?

Sounds like fun.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

I'm not doubting you, but what kind of picnic table?

In all the years I've been using portable grills I've even never scorched a
table, let alone burned a hole in one. When I camp I have a couple of
wooden cabinets that I made to transport and hold our kitchen stuff. They
get put up on stands and then a 2' x 4 piece of plywood goes across the
gap and the grill and stove go on top. The grill has never even scorched
the plywood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 16:11:42 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 12/7/2013 11:08 AM, wrote:
[...]

Who needs an online link. I've had it happen. Didn't need the fire
department - just a pail of river water. - didn't actually flame, but
charred about 1/4 inch deep. In Algonquin Park.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Dec 2013 00:14:00 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

It was 2X8 pine or spruce - Parks Canada issue - Algonquin Park - Pog
Lake Campground if I remember correctly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

I got a grill I bough at rite aid for $20 I use frequently. It's even got
Thermometer.
Been using It at camp, but it's been around. If I saw it again, I would buy
it, especially at $20. Sometimes you find amazing deals.

I also have a Coleman grill plate, not as useful. Another cheap propane two
burner stove I keep as spare. Also a Coleman liquid gas two burner stove, I
used mostly when we camped in tents.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

I usually shake the tank. Works for me.

That grill I bought 4-5 years ago for $20 at rite aid looks similar to
this...

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...0/product.html

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 5 Dec 2013 12:58:16 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I guess I should have asked for POLITE IDEAS. Anyway, I am trying

to clean up my workbench and workshop and would rather not have an extra
cylinder around unless I will be needing it in the short term.

I suppose you only keep one can of soup in your house, unless you plan
to eat one in the short term?

And heaven forbid you keep an extra set of flashlight batteries on hand,
or a light bulb....... or spare pair of underwear in case you poop your
pants!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Home depot closes at 10pm .. Go buy another one moron. They are under $10.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/8/2013 6:19 AM, Daring Dufas : A Sock Of Killer Loon wrote:
Home depot closes at 10pm .. Go buy another one moron. They are
under $10.

Killer Loon, living proof that human women should never have sex with
farm animals. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you Emma Genius.

I chilled the propane cylinder overnight in the frig, and then brought it out into the kitchen. Waited about 8 minutes and then scanned it with my temperature IR scanner. Very distinct change in case temperature over a height difference of one inch. Tank is about half full.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/9/2013 9:07 PM, willshak wrote:

I have a spotlight that I have had for years. I want to know how much
light I have used, and how much light is left in the spotlight.

Well, silly. Put it in the freezer over night,
and then warm it for a few minutes. Check it
with IR thermometer to find out.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 21:37:44 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 12/9/2013 9:07 PM, willshak wrote:

I have a spotlight that I have had for years. I want to know how much
light I have used, and how much light is left in the spotlight.

Well, silly. Put it in the freezer over night,
and then warm it for a few minutes. Check it
with IR thermometer to find out.

Make sure the light in the freezed goes out when you close the
freezer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/9/2013 9:07 PM, willshak wrote:

I have a spotlight that I have had for years. I want to know how much
light I have used, and how much light is left in the spotlight.

Well, silly. Put it in the freezer over night,
and then warm it for a few minutes. Check it
with IR thermometer to find out.

All you have to do is pour a cup of warm water over the side. I did it with
a large tank at camp. Work well. Surprised it was almost fill.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

I move to CLOSE THIS THREAD!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/9/2013 9:37 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/9/2013 9:07 PM, willshak wrote:

I have a spotlight that I have had for years. I want to know how much
light I have used, and how much light is left in the spotlight.

Well, silly. Put it in the freezer over night,
and then warm it for a few minutes. Check it
with IR thermometer to find out.

Years ago, my Dad worked in the training department
of Eastman Kodak. One of his bits of wisdom
"Yesterday's solutions will be applied to today's
problems, when they are not appropriate."

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/10/2013 12:08 AM, wrote:
I move to CLOSE THIS THREAD!!!!

Second!

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/10/2013 7:20 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/10/2013 12:08 AM, wrote:
I move to CLOSE THIS THREAD!!!!

Second!

Dang! I haven't made any profane, nasty remarks or questioned anyone's
parentage yet. o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Thank you Emma Genius.

I chilled the propane cylinder overnight in the frig, and then brought it
out into the kitchen. Waited about 8 minutes and then scanned it with my
temperature IR scanner. Very distinct change in case temperature over a
height difference of one inch. Tank is about half full.

Is the full and empty weights not stamped on the cylinder?