Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lithium battery cordless tool user question- the charger

After reading a bit on the care and feeding of a lithium battery,it appears the battery would benefit from slow charging as opposed to the fast charge that all the supplied chargers I've looked at thus far, supply. Is anyone aware of a charger they received with their tool that allows that option? Failing to have that, has anyone managed to connect a tool battery to a intelligent lithium charger and managed a charge. I'm guessing that the circuitry on board the battery might not allow that. Thanks Pat
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 07:45:48 -0700, patrick wrote:

After reading a bit on the care and feeding of a lithium battery,it
appears the battery would benefit from slow charging as opposed to the
fast charge that all the supplied chargers I've looked at thus far,
supply. Is anyone aware of a charger they received with their tool that
allows that option? Failing to have that, has anyone managed to connect
a tool battery to a intelligent lithium charger and managed a charge.
I'm guessing that the circuitry on board the battery might not allow
that. Thanks Pat

Don't care now that Rockwell supplies a 'lifetime' warranttee on their
battery - reason I sprung for the tool to begin with, plus supplied TWO
batteries and charger station, so never run out of power.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 07:51:16 -0700, RobertMacy
wrote:

On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 07:45:48 -0700, patrick wrote:

After reading a bit on the care and feeding of a lithium battery,it
appears the battery would benefit from slow charging as opposed to the
fast charge that all the supplied chargers I've looked at thus far,
supply. Is anyone aware of a charger they received with their tool that
allows that option? Failing to have that, has anyone managed to connect
a tool battery to a intelligent lithium charger and managed a charge.
I'm guessing that the circuitry on board the battery might not allow
that. Thanks Pat

Don't care now that Rockwell supplies a 'lifetime' warranttee on their
battery - reason I sprung for the tool to begin with, plus supplied TWO
batteries and charger station, so never run out of power.

That sounds like a good deal. The battery is usually the first thing to
go on those tools, and it's always cheaper to buy a new tool than
replace the battery.

I wish the chargers could be plugged into the tool, so the tool could be
used as a corded tool when there is power handy. Why wear out the
batteris when there is an outlet handy.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Don't care now that Rockwell supplies a 'lifetime' warranttee on their
battery - reason I sprung for the tool to begin with, plus supplied TWO
batteries and charger station, so never run out of power.

Robert,

Did you buy the 3-N-1 3drill? Happy?

On my list to buy for around the house.

http://www.amazon.com/Rockwell-RK2515K2-LithiumTech-12-Volt-Impact/dp/B004U4BAI8

Lifetime Free Battery Replacement Rockwell is proud to offer a
lifetime free battery replacement for the 3RILL. Simply register your
tool, and if your battery wears out or fails, Rockwell will replace it
for the life of the tool. Other terms and conditions apply.

Tool: Warranty Limited 2-year
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 10:44:15 -0700, Oren wrote:

...snip...

Did you buy the 3-N-1 3drill? Happy?

On my list to buy for around the house.

http://www.amazon.com/Rockwell-RK2515K2-LithiumTech-12-Volt-Impact/dp/B004U4BAI8

Lifetime Free Battery Replacement Rockwell is proud to offer a
lifetime free battery replacement for the 3RILL. Simply register your
tool, and if your battery wears out or fails, Rockwell will replace it
for the life of the tool. Other terms and conditions apply.

Tool: Warranty Limited 2-year

YES! bought it from Rockwell directly [prefer direct contact], bought the
one with all the tools. You can't believe how much wear I've given that
thing already. The second feature [besides the lifetime batteries] was the
SHAPE! it fits perfectly into my hand, light weight, and without the bulky
?? on most of these cordless, I could get into some very tight places.
when that didn't quite work there was the extension and there was the
right angle, ...etc

I've had it break off the head of a rusted/seized screw, can't get much
better than that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 13:54:24 -0700, RobertMacy
wrote:

[...]

Thanks. It would cost me around $48 each to have my Bosch 18V
batteries (3) rebuilt. For the price of the Rockwell I could sell my
Bosch tools and buy the 3rill and save money.

My 5-piece Bosch kit was used in construction; still good tools, but
not necessary for what I do around the house.

The 3drill will do fine for what I need these days.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RobertMacy wrote:
[...]

How does the performance of a 12v lithium-ion powered impact driver compare
to an 18v NiCd non-impact drill-driver?

I have a DeWalt 18v NiCd drill-driver (non-impact). It's a few years old,
so the batteries have quite a number of charge cycles on them. I also use
the batteries in my DeWalt boom box for hours upon hours, so the batteries
are quite well used. I'm not seeing any significant issues with the
batteries just yet, but I haven't used it on any major projects recently.

I'll be replacing the railings on my deck next year and was wondering if I
should get an impact driver. The Amazon price on that 3rill would make it a
great gift from the kids.

Will it outperform my 18v DeWalt or will I be disappointed?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 21:28:09 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

RobertMacy wrote:
[...]

There is quite a difference. Impact drivers are easier on the screw
heads. I don't know if I'd want my only impact driver to be a 12V,
though. It was my first and worked well (and convinced me to buy the
18V).

I have a DeWalt 18v NiCd drill-driver (non-impact). It's a few years old,
so the batteries have quite a number of charge cycles on them. I also use
the batteries in my DeWalt boom box for hours upon hours, so the batteries
are quite well used. I'm not seeing any significant issues with the
batteries just yet, but I haven't used it on any major projects recently.

I'll be replacing the railings on my deck next year and was wondering if I
should get an impact driver. The Amazon price on that 3rill would make it a
great gift from the kids.

Will it outperform my 18v DeWalt or will I be disappointed?

I certainly recommend the impact driver, though suggest an 18V for
this application.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

RobertMacy wrote:
[...]

Looking at the 12v 3drill, IIRC, has more torque than my Bosch 18v
hammer drill. (ten years old)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Don't care now that Rockwell supplies a 'lifetime' warranttee on their
battery - reason I sprung for the tool to begin with, plus supplied TWO
batteries and charger station, so never run out of power.

Robert,

Did you buy the 3-N-1 3drill? Happy?

On my list to buy for around the house.

http://www.amazon.com/Rockwell-RK2515K2-LithiumTech-12-Volt-Impact/dp/B004U4BAI8

Lifetime Free Battery Replacement Rockwell is proud to offer a
lifetime free battery replacement for the 3RILL. Simply register your
tool, and if your battery wears out or fails, Rockwell will replace it
for the life of the tool. Other terms and conditions apply.

Tool: Warranty Limited 2-year

Don't remember the vendor, but one was offering lifetime battery
replacement. Since tools of this type rarely fail, other than the
battery, it sounded like an opportunity to clean out the tool box.
There was a vendor spokesperson in the tool department
at Home Depot. I asked about the battery replacement. Beyond
proudly declaring that it had a lifetime warranty, he was curiously
devoid of details.

What's the definition of dead battery?
80% run time?
20% run time?
Won't charge?
Am I the one who decides?
Receipts required?
Can I sell the drill?
Duh!
What lifetime? Mine? My Heir's? his? vendor's? home depot's? tool? battery?
Duh!
Ok, I have a 20 year old version of your drill. Point me to the
replacement battery for it?
Duh!
If you can't replace the battery, do I get a new drill with
continued lifetime warranty? And what about the saw and other
tools in that set that need a battery? And all the accessories for
those tools?
Duh!
What are those other terms and conditions?
Duh!
When the realize that they just killed the major reason for
future sales, what are they gonna do?
Duh!

I bought a Skill lithium screwdriver. They overstress the battery
so it popped the internal pressure breaker.
Their website doesn't even admit that they ever made that model.
New battery? Good luck.

My first laptop computer was purchased because they promised to use that
battery in future models and it was to become the industry standard.
They, nor anybody else, ever used that battery again.

Bottom line...I'd be vary wary of a lifetime battery guarantee
on something you might still be using 40 years from now.

Ironically, I've got a dozen or more battery operated drills.
The ONLY one with a battery that still holds a charge is
a 40 year old NiCd I bought new.