Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default lithium battery cordless tool user question- the charger

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 21:28:09 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

RobertMacy wrote:
On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 10:44:15 -0700, Oren wrote:

...snip...
Did you buy the 3-N-1 3drill? Happy?

On my list to buy for around the house.

http://www.amazon.com/Rockwell-RK2515K2-LithiumTech-12-Volt-Impact/dp/B004U4BAI8

Lifetime Free Battery Replacement Rockwell is proud to offer a
lifetime free battery replacement for the 3RILL. Simply register your
tool, and if your battery wears out or fails, Rockwell will replace it
for the life of the tool. Other terms and conditions apply.

Tool: Warranty Limited 2-year

YES! bought it from Rockwell directly [prefer direct contact], bought the
one with all the tools. You can't believe how much wear I've given that
thing already. The second feature [besides the lifetime batteries] was
the SHAPE! it fits perfectly into my hand, light weight, and without the
bulky ?? on most of these cordless, I could get into some very tight
places. when that didn't quite work there was the extension and there
was the right angle, ...etc

I've had it break off the head of a rusted/seized screw, can't get much better than that.

How does the performance of a 12v lithium-ion powered impact driver compare
to an 18v NiCd non-impact drill-driver?

I have a DeWalt 18v NiCd drill-driver (non-impact). It's a few years old,
so the batteries have quite a number of charge cycles on them. I also use
the batteries in my DeWalt boom box for hours upon hours, so the batteries
are quite well used. I'm not seeing any significant issues with the
batteries just yet, but I haven't used it on any major projects recently.

I'll be replacing the railings on my deck next year and was wondering if I
should get an impact driver. The Amazon price on that 3rill would make it a
great gift from the kids.

Will it outperform my 18v DeWalt or will I be disappointed?

Looking at the 12v 3drill, IIRC, has more torque than my Bosch 18v
hammer drill. (ten years old)