Posted to alt.home.repair

Default shower pan leveling

Inherited a bathroom project. Basement, slab floor, shower pan installed (32in x 32 in) already installed but on a slope. It is about 3\8 in. out of level. My odc prevents me from not correcting this even though it does drain. Three options.
1. Pull pan and level concrete slab.
2. Pull pan and carve away on fiberglass ribs.
3. Pull pan and shim (possibly roof shingles) floor.
All advice appreciated. Note: There is no shower stall yet. Just pan with surrounding studs. Pan has not been affixed to studs.
Ivan Vegvary
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 09:59:08 -0800 (PST), Ivan Vegvary
wrote:

Inherited a bathroom project. Basement, slab floor, shower pan installed (32in x 32 in) already installed but on a slope. It is about 3\8 in. out of level. My odc prevents me from not correcting this even though it does drain. Three options.
1. Pull pan and level concrete slab.

Sounds best

2. Pull pan and carve away on fiberglass ribs.

Weakens the pan

3. Pull pan and shim (possibly roof shingles) floor.

See 1. above

All advice appreciated. Note: There is no shower stall yet. Just pan with surrounding studs. Pan has not been affixed to studs.
Ivan Vegvary

Use good (stainless?) screws when you attach the pan to the studs.
Not those dang drywall screws I've seen done before.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11-15-2013, 12:59, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Inherited a bathroom project. Basement, slab floor, shower pan installed (32in x 32 in) already installed but on a slope. It is about 3\8 in. out of level. My odc prevents me from not correcting this even though it does drain. Three options.
1. Pull pan and level concrete slab.
2. Pull pan and carve away on fiberglass ribs.
3. Pull pan and shim (possibly roof shingles) floor.
All advice appreciated. Note: There is no shower stall yet. Just pan with surrounding studs. Pan has not been affixed to studs.
Ivan Vegvary

Get the pan level and fasten it securely. Prevent bending or breaking
by filling the space under it with something reasonably solid. Shims
would leave gaps into which the heels of the average adult human would
push the pan's material.

Your dimensions work out to 192 cubic inches, or a little over a tenth
of a cubic foot. Volume of five or six caulking gun tubes. RTV should
be solid enough if surrounded so it can't bulge out. Harder substances
preferred. But you'll need tubes to squirt it farthest from the
opening, so you don't trap air behind it.

Or carefully mix 192 cubic inches of filler, pour it in, then push the
pan into it. Push a little at a time so as to get it level. Let the
stuff harden, then remove any leakage. (Most of which will squeeze into
the raised border of the pan.)

--
Wes Groleau

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you
what can't be done and why. Then do it.
€” Robert A. Heinlein

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"Wes Groleau" wrote in message
[...]

I had a shower pan that rocked (wiggled) back and forth as you stepped on
it. What I did--got the base level and then sprayed underneath it with foam
(from a can, similar to what is used around electrical boxes etc). It
expanded completely filling the space under the base and then oozed out of
the base. When it hardened I just trimmed all the stuff outside of the
base. Worked great, base solid as a rock.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Inherited a bathroom project. Basement, slab floor, shower pan installed
(32in x 32 in) already installed but on a slope. It is about 3\8 in. out
of level. My odc prevents me from not correcting this even though it does
drain. Three options.
1. Pull pan and level concrete slab.
2. Pull pan and carve away on fiberglass ribs.
3. Pull pan and shim (possibly roof shingles) floor.
All advice appreciated. Note: There is no shower stall yet. Just pan
with surrounding studs. Pan has not been affixed to studs.
Ivan Vegvary

A variation on Option 1, unless this is what you meant by "level concrete
slab"...

Pour a bed of mortar and press the pan into it, making it level. Use enough
mortar to fill the voids below the pan and make it feel very solid. If
you've ever stepped into a fiberglass shower or tub with voids underneath
and felt the give, you'll know what you are trying to avoid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2013 12:59 PM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Inherited a bathroom project. Basement, slab floor,

shower pan installed (32in x 32 in) already installed
but on a slope. It is about 3\8 in. out of level. My
odc prevents me from not correcting this even though
it does drain. Three options.
1. Pull pan and level concrete slab.
2. Pull pan and carve away on fiberglass ribs.
3. Pull pan and shim (possibly roof shingles) floor.
All advice appreciated. Note: There is no shower stall

yet. Just pan with surrounding studs. Pan has not been
affixed to studs.
Ivan Vegvary

I'd go after the fiberglass ribs. Less likely to settle
than redoing the slab.

WBT, you have lysdexia in addition to your ODC.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2013 11:59 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Inherited a bathroom project. Basement, slab floor, shower pan in

\
It is normal to set fiberglass tubs and bases in wet mortar.

enter this:
set fiberglass tub in mortar bed
in google. YOu will see plenty of advice.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
Inherited a bathroom project. Basement, slab floor, shower pan installed
(32in x 32 in) already installed but on a slope. It is about 3\8 in. out
of level. My odc prevents me from not correcting this even though it does
drain. Three options.
1. Pull pan and level concrete slab.
2. Pull pan and carve away on fiberglass ribs.
3. Pull pan and shim (possibly roof shingles) floor.
All advice appreciated. Note: There is no shower stall yet. Just pan
with surrounding studs. Pan has not been affixed to studs.
Ivan Vegvary

On second thought, leave the pan as is, and just relocate the drain.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
Inherited a bathroom project. Basement, slab floor, shower pan
installed
(32in x 32 in) already installed but on a slope. It is about 3\8 in.
out
of level. My odc prevents me from not correcting this even though it
does
drain. Three options.
1. Pull pan and level concrete slab.
2. Pull pan and carve away on fiberglass ribs.
3. Pull pan and shim (possibly roof shingles) floor.
All advice appreciated. Note: There is no shower stall yet. Just pan
with surrounding studs. Pan has not been affixed to studs.
Ivan Vegvary

On second thought, leave the pan as is, and just relocate the drain.

Why move the drain?

So you don't have to build up the sides.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

about 3/8th off level? I'd find something else to worry about.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 21:07:17 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

news
wrote:

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
Inherited a bathroom project. Basement, slab floor, shower pan
installed
(32in x 32 in) already installed but on a slope. It is about 3\8 in.
out
of level. My odc prevents me from not correcting this even though it
does
drain. Three options.
1. Pull pan and level concrete slab.
2. Pull pan and carve away on fiberglass ribs.
3. Pull pan and shim (possibly roof shingles) floor.
All advice appreciated. Note: There is no shower stall yet. Just pan
with surrounding studs. Pan has not been affixed to studs.
Ivan Vegvary

On second thought, leave the pan as is, and just relocate the drain.

Why move the drain?

So you don't have to build up the sides.

.... leveling the pan is easier than cutting the pan and/or slab to
move a drain. Patching the original pan hole or the mess from cutting
the slab for pipe changes.

Leveling a miter saw. [email protected] Woodworking 10 August 29th 09 08:33 PM
leveling floor John Grossbohlin[_2_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 January 6th 09 02:20 AM
leveling a floor Art Home Repair 3 November 22nd 06 01:20 AM
Leveling recessed shower shelves [email protected] Home Repair 3 April 27th 05 04:05 PM
Toilet leveling jch Home Repair 4 July 17th 04 02:58 PM