Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring an Emerson Electric Baseboard

I bought an old farmhouse & I'm in the process of rewiring. I have looked
everywhere on the unit but can't find if it's 120, 220 or what. I tried
to search online but I'm left with more questions. I'm lost, please help.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...rd-769935-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/9/13 6:44 PM, Tiffany wrote:
I bought an old farmhouse & I'm in the process of rewiring. I have looked
everywhere on the unit but can't find if it's 120, 220 or what. I tried
to search online but I'm left with more questions. I'm lost, please help.

How does one know the original posting date of these homeowners hub
questions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 09 Nov 2013 18:58:48 -0600, Dean Hoffman
" wrote:

On 11/9/13 6:44 PM, Tiffany wrote:
I bought an old farmhouse & I'm in the process of rewiring. I have looked
everywhere on the unit but can't find if it's 120, 220 or what. I tried
to search online but I'm left with more questions. I'm lost, please help.

How does one know the original posting date of these homeowners hub
questions?

Look in the headers for the Date: tag.

The originals of the antiques don't show if you're using a decent
server.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dean Hoffman" " wrote in message
On 11/9/13 6:44 PM, Tiffany wrote:
I bought an old farmhouse & I'm in the process of rewiring. I have
looked
everywhere on the unit but can't find if it's 120, 220 or what. I tried
to search online but I'm left with more questions. I'm lost, please
help.

How does one know the original posting date of these homeowners hub
questions?

I look at the signature line on the original post, which in this case was:

"posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...rd-769935-.htm
using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to home and garden related groups"

Then I click on the homeownershub link and I see the original message. On
the left hand side of that page, I see when it was originally posted. In
the above case, the original post is dated November 9, 2013.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

On 11/9/13 6:44 PM, Tiffany wrote:
I bought an old farmhouse & I'm in the process of rewiring. I have looked
everywhere on the unit but can't find if it's 120, 220 or what. I tried
to search online but I'm left with more questions. I'm lost, please help.

How does one know the original posting date of these homeowners hub
questions?

Sometimes it's listed. Not this time.
I dont reply to any of them. You're likely not talking to anyone, so
why bother! I'd like to find a way to filter them all, so they are
deleted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tiffany wrote:
I bought an old farmhouse & I'm in the process of rewiring. I have looked
everywhere on the unit but can't find if it's 120, 220 or what. I tried
to search online but I'm left with more questions. I'm lost, please help.

By the date of the post.

Look at all the other ones. The dates of the posts are years old. This one
is dated today.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany[_2_] View Post
I bought an old farmhouse & I'm in the process of rewiring. I have looked
everywhere on the unit but can't find if it's 120, 220 or what. I tried
to search online but I'm left with more questions. I'm lost, please help.

--
posted from
Wiring an Emerson Electric Baseboard
using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to home and garden related groups
Tiffany:

Typically on 220 volt appliances, there will be three places to connect the three wires going to the appliance, and those three places will be in a recognizable "row". You always connect the white neutral wire to the middle location and the red and black power wires to the outside locations. It doesn't matter whether the black goes on this side or that, or the red for that matter, as long as the white is in the middle and the red and black are on either side, you're good.

If there is a location for a ground wire, it will not be on that recognizable "row", for if it were, it could cause confusion.

So, look at the terminal block on that heater where you connect the wires. If you see a recognizable "row" of three connection sites, it's almost certainly a 220 volt heater. Otherwise, it's a 120 VAC heater, in which case there will be only two connection points and possibly a place to connect a ground wire as well.

You won't hurt a 220 volt appliance by trying to drive it with only 120 VAC. All that will happen is that the heating elements won't get nearly as hot as they should.

So, maybe the safest bet is to try connecting 120 VAC to the heater and see if it works properly. If not, it's probably cuz it needs 220 VAC power.

Last edited by nestork : November 10th 13 at 04:00 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

Temporarily hook it up to 120V. Turn it on and see how it works, in terms of giving off heat. If it is meant for 240V, the heat output will be 1/4 of its normal output, so it should be a 240V hookup. Don't try it on 240V first, because if it is a 120V unit, running it on 240V will cause it to put put 4 times correct output and will fry it in a few seconds.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:
Temporarily hook it up to 120V. Turn it on and see how it works, in
terms of giving off heat. If it is meant for 240V, the heat output will
be 1/4 of its normal output, so it should be a 240V hookup. Don't try it
on 240V first, because if it is a 120V unit, running it on 240V will
cause it to put put 4 times correct output and will fry it in a few seconds.

How do you know it's operating at 1/4 of normal output if you don't know
what normal output is?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 13:21:23 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

" wrote:
Temporarily hook it up to 120V. Turn it on and see how it works, in
terms of giving off heat. If it is meant for 240V, the heat output will
be 1/4 of its normal output, so it should be a 240V hookup. Don't try it
on 240V first, because if it is a 120V unit, running it on 240V will
cause it to put put 4 times correct output and will fry it in a few seconds.

How do you know it's operating at 1/4 of normal output if you don't know
what normal output is?

Barely warm compared to lotsa heat
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 9, 2013 6:44:01 PM UTC-6, Tiffany wrote:
I bought an old farmhouse & I'm in the process of rewiring. I have looked everywhere on the unit but can't find if it's 120, 220 or what. I tried to search online but I'm left with more questions. I'm lost, please help. -- posted from http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...rd-769935-.htm using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to home and garden related groups

Tiffany,

Please report back what you did and what you found out by doing it.

Hydronic elecric baseboard heater vs standard electric baseboard heater John Sevinsky Home Repair 7 March 5th 14 12:13 AM
Emerson Electric azotic Metalworking 117 January 4th 10 06:34 AM
Wiring electric baseboard heaters RonABC Home Repair 12 February 20th 09 03:14 PM
Electric baseboard and T-stat wiring Mikepier Home Repair 2 September 28th 08 08:40 PM
wiring baseboard heater Martik Home Repair 1 January 9th 05 11:08 AM