Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric baseboard and T-stat wiring

I want to install a 240 baseboard at my vacation home. I was going to
put in a simple T-stat mounted on the baseboard. If I decide in the
future to put in a T-stat on the wall, can I run a 12/2 from the
baseboard to the T-stat , or are the T-stats double pole meaning I
have to run both hot legs to the T-stat first then back to the
baseboard?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
I want to install a 240 baseboard at my vacation home. I was going to
put in a simple T-stat mounted on the baseboard. If I decide in the
future to put in a T-stat on the wall, can I run a 12/2 from the
baseboard to the T-stat , or are the T-stats double pole meaning I
have to run both hot legs to the T-stat first then back to the
baseboard?

There are single and double pole electric wall thermostats and either one is
fine. I prefer to install the double pole so that power to the heater is
completely off when the thermostat is turned down. Make sure that there is
enough room in the splice compartment on the heater for the extra wires.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
I want to install a 240 baseboard at my vacation home. I was going to
put in a simple T-stat mounted on the baseboard. If I decide in the
future to put in a T-stat on the wall, can I run a 12/2 from the
baseboard to the T-stat , or are the T-stats double pole meaning I
have to run both hot legs to the T-stat first then back to the
baseboard?

Why not just "Do it Right" the first time?

All but the smallest J-box can take a two pole thermostat (that's helped by
the fact that most of the thermostat is outside the J-box). Run the wire
from he CB box to the J-box and then to the baseboard. That way there
isn't any crowding in the baseboard.

If you ever switch to central heat you likely can "re-cycle" the wiring to
the J-box/baseboard to, say switch an outlet.