Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is a "residential jackshaft garage door opener" ?

I recently saw an advertisement for a home that had a "residential jackshaft garage door opener". I don't have clue what that would be. Help!
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

I recently saw an advertisement for a home that had a "residential jackshaft garage door opener". I don't have clue what that would be. Help!

Google is your friend. It's a wall mounted motor, usually placed next to the
door. Makes less noise that a ceiling mount unit, works in garages where the
ceiling is too high to make a standard opener practical or aesthetically less
pleasant.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 4:16:48 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I recently saw an advertisement for a home that had a "residential jackshaft garage door opener". I don't have clue what that would be. Help!

Can you post a link to a photograph, I can't visualize a wall-mounted motor raising an overhead style garage door?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2013-11-05, Retired wrote:

try this link for some pix

http://tinyurl.com/lnycozy

Some of those appear to be jackshaft units, others no.

A jackshaft is simply an in-between shaft. IOW, an extra shaft put
between the drive shaft and the driven shaft for one reason or
another. It may be to reduce the length of belts or pulluys. Others,
to change a direction or change ratios.

"In general, a jackshaft is any shaft that is used as an intermediary
transmitting power from a driving shaft to a driven shaft."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackshaft

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 4:16:48 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I recently saw an advertisement for a home that had a "residential jackshaft garage door opener". I don't have clue what that would be. Help!

OK I was questioning how you could open the door without some sort of track to guide it, the photos showed that a pair of tracks was still needed.

Thanks for the responses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Nov 2013 08:49:21 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 4:16:48 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I recently saw an advertisement for a home that had a "residential jackshaft garage door opener". I don't have clue what that would be. Help!

OK I was questioning how you could open the door without some sort of track to guide it, the photos showed that a pair of tracks was still needed.

Thanks for the responses.

IIRC some of these side mount units offer a feature for power backup.
If the house power is out, the door will still be operational. I
noticed they need power for the cord, but how many garages have a
receptacle at the side wall by the door? None I've seen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 4:16:48 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I recently saw an advertisement for a home that had a "residential jackshaft garage door opener". I don't have clue what that would be. Help!

OK I was questioning how you could open the door without some sort of track to guide it, the photos showed that a pair of tracks was still needed.

Thanks for the responses.

IIRC some of these side mount units offer a feature for power backup.
If the house power is out, the door will still be operational. I
noticed they need power for the cord, but how many garages have a
receptacle at the side wall by the door? None I've seen.

Ours does, in fact we have two duplex outlets on each side of the garage
near the door for a total of four outlets. Also there are several more
on the sides of the garage but further from the door.

In fact, I thought that most newer (after about 1995) had outlets in an
attached garage.

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a number of outlets, but none are "close" to the overhead door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Nov 2013 13:30:05 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I have a number of outlets, but none are "close" to the overhead door.

Bingo!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a number of outlets, but none are "close" to the overhead door.

Bingo!

I've got receptacles on the front wall of my garage on both sides of the
overhead door.

I've also got receptacles on the back wall and both side walls midway into
the garage.

Even if I didn't have them, they are not that hard to add. In fact I added
all but the original one which is on the front wall right next to the
overhead door.

Oh yeah, I've got one on the ceiling. The GDO is plugged into it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You note that you added most of the outlets. The original number of outlets is probably more typical of what garages come with, to dangle a preposition.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:
You note that you added most of the outlets. The original number of
outlets is probably more typical of what garages come with, to dangle a preposition.

True, but the original receptacle was right next to the overhead door.

My point(s) being is that even though Oren says he's never seen a
receptacle on a (side) wall near the overhead door...

1 - Some houses came with them
2 - They are easily added wherever they are needed or wanted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Nov 2013 00:20:09 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

" wrote:
You note that you added most of the outlets. The original number of
outlets is probably more typical of what garages come with, to dangle a preposition.

True, but the original receptacle was right next to the overhead door.

My point(s) being is that even though Oren says he's never seen a
receptacle on a (side) wall near the overhead door...

Let me clarify what I intended. I can do anything in a custom build.

1 - Some houses came with them

A few doesn't

2 - They are easily added wherever they are needed or wanted.

You betcha!