Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tv losing red colour

On Sunday, December 17, 2000 12:20:29 PM UTC-6, i.morrison1 wrote:
How do I fix my TV so that it displays the red colour instead of just green and blue without eletrocuting myself preferably?Thanks!

Jim Yanik psted the best answer.

Sci.electronics.repair is the proper place for TV questions.

Jim Yanik,NRA member

When you go there, people expect you to supply make, model, how old, and a more detailed description than lost red Is there no red, red only in lightest areas, red only in darkest areas, or just a general reduction in all reds so that the picture looks blue-green tinted from shadows through white areas of the picture.

Senior Member

You should also be aware that both TV sets and CRT computer monitors supply voltage to the electron guns from some very powerful capacitors.

In high school electronics class I learned that it was very dangerous to work on a TV set unless and until those capacitors had been discharged. They easily contain enough electrical charge to kill a person.

So, if you do get any advice on what to do to fix your TV set, don't do any repairs for a good two weeks after unplugging the set to allow all capacitors in the set to discharge on their own.

Or, perhaps the instructions you get will explain how to discharge those capacitors safely before you proceed with the repair.