Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Price of detergent. Wal Mart vs BJ's

In another thread I mentioned buying a new HE washing machine. They
have to use HE type detergent that is low sudsing. (regular machines
can use it too)

We happened to be in a shopping plaza with a Wal Mart so we stopped in
to see what they had. My wife likes All that is unscented so we found
it and checked the price. The container said it does 96 loads and the
selling price was $17.97 or .187 per load. We were headed to BJ's
Wholesale Club (similar to Costco for those not in their territory) so
I figured we get it there at a similar price.

BJ's had the same All detergent but it comes in a larger container
that says you can do 150 loads. Selling price is $13.99 or .093 per
load!

My wife also takes a couple of generic OTC drugs that were less than
half the Wal Mart generic brands.

You can attempt to brainwash people that you have the lowest prices,
but the proof is in the shopping. You really can live better for less
if you pay attention.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 6, 2013 11:11:07 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

You can usually beat the Costco, BJ's etc prices on a lot
of stuff with the weekly specials at the supermarket. In
my experience, if you need something like paper towels or
dishwasher tablets and
you have to buy it today, then those shopping clubs usually
have good prices. But if you can schedule you're buying,
then the supermarket will probably have it a lower price,
you just have to wait a week or two.

Ice cream has gone nuts now. HagenDaz, Ben & Jerry's
have gone way up in price. They are around $4.50 here now.
HD is not even a pint anymore, 14 oz. instead. But about
every other week one or the other is on sale at the supermarket
for $2.50 or so. I'd be curious to see the sales figures.
How many they sell at $4.50 vs $2.50. Unless you're dumb
or really don't care about spending money, you would think
people would just buy enough when it's $2.50 to last a couple'
weeks until it's $2.50 again.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/6/2013 10:11 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

....[story of a couple of items at W-M more expensive than found
elsewhere elided solely for brevity]...

You can attempt to brainwash people that you have the lowest prices,
but the proof is in the shopping. You really can live better for less
if you pay attention.

I rarely go into the W-M but in a small town w/ none of the competitors
around sometimes they are just the only alternative, unfortunately, any
more--they have done the typical thing of driving out almost all the
traditional storefronts since they arrived 30 yr ago or so.

Anyway, I had need for a few pavers to fill in an area in the barn
alleyway at ends where I had used some on-hand leftover blocks and old
silo staves, etc., and happened to be at the W-M for one of those cases
of they were the only one in town who has another item any more. It was
end of spring season so walked by the garden area to see if were
clearing out the pavers -- no, weren't yet but noticed for the same
identical ones from the same manufacturer their price was almost 2X that
of the Ace Hardware down the street -- $1.50 or so/ea as opposed to ~80
cents. On top of which Ace let me just have the broken in the pile to
clean 'em out which worked just fine for my purpose since had to cut 'em
to fit in the holes, anyway...

All to simply confirm that's nothing at all new or surprising nor
different. W-M has always (well at least since Sam's been gone lo!
these many years and even often before then) had prices that aren't
necessarily lower than some others.

Advertising can and does do wonders to create impressions in
merchandising as well as in all other areas of propagandizing...tell a
lie often enough and it becomes accepted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Oct 2013 08:23:26 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

You can usually beat the Costco, BJ's etc prices on a lot
of stuff with the weekly specials at the supermarket. In
my experience, if you need something like paper towels or
dishwasher tablets and
you have to buy it today, then those shopping clubs usually
have good prices. But if you can schedule you're buying,
then the supermarket will probably have it a lower price,
you just have to wait a week or two.

On many items, yes. Meats at BJ's are cheaper every day and often
cheaper than the supermarket sale price.

Ice cream has gone nuts now. HagenDaz, Ben & Jerry's
have gone way up in price. They are around $4.50 here now.
HD is not even a pint anymore, 14 oz. instead. But about
every other week one or the other is on sale at the supermarket
for $2.50 or so.

If you like vanilla (my favorite) you just go to BJ's. A half gallon
(full 64 ounces) is only $10. They only carry vanilla though. Like
you, I buy other flavors when on sale.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Oct 2013 11:11:07 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote
in Re Price of detergent.
Wal Mart vs BJ's:

You can attempt to brainwash people that you have the lowest prices,
but the proof is in the shopping. You really can live better for less
if you pay attention.

Exactly. A lot of items at WalMart/SAMs, are not much cheaper than
prices available at other locations. Of course, a lot are cheaper,
but you just can't assume it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure about heavy items such as detergent, but many items like
generic OTC drugs can be purchased at the lowest price by shopping online.
I have a few items that I always get online. I start at Amazon and then
look in the right hand column where other vendors are shown. You can often
find a cheaper price than the one offered in the "main window" at Amazon.

Sometimes I'll buy multiple bottles since the shipping is often the same or
very close to just a single bottle. That cuts way down on the per pill
price. Even with shipping, many items are cheaper online than from any
brick and mortar store, even the clubs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

Costco has meds specifically for pets at extremely low prices and at
least in the bastion of left-leaning civilization you don't need a
membership to use the Pharmacy
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

If you like vanilla (my favorite) you just go to BJ's. A
half gallon (full 64 ounces) is only $10. They only carry
vanilla though. Like you, I buy other flavors when on
sale.

Lord, I'd go broke. Around here, a half gallon is in the $4.00 - $4.50
range. Not the "super premium" though. On special, about a buck less.
Some cheap brands for $2.50 always.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/6/2013 12:37 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I would not trust on-line drugs unless from a reputable pharmacy.

With old employer's drug plan, I quit it. Cost $76 for warfarin before
Medicare deductible was met and $14 thereafter. Walmart was $10.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/6/2013 3:45 PM, dadiOH wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

If you like vanilla (my favorite) you just go to BJ's. A
half gallon (full 64 ounces) is only $10. They only carry
vanilla though. Like you, I buy other flavors when on
sale.

Lord, I'd go broke. Around here, a half gallon is in the $4.00 - $4.50
range. Not the "super premium" though. On special, about a buck less.
Some cheap brands for $2.50 always.

I've given up on the cheaper brands with all the fillers and gums.
Breyers used to be a good brand, but no more since they went the cheap
route. I'd rather eat less of the good stuff than a lot of the cheap
stuff..

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You can usually beat the Costco, BJ's etc prices on a lot
of stuff with the weekly specials at the supermarket. In
my experience, if you need something like paper towels or
dishwasher tablets and
you have to buy it today, then those shopping clubs usually
have good prices. But if you can schedule you're buying,
then the supermarket will probably have it a lower price,
you just have to wait a week or two.

On many items, yes. Meats at BJ's are cheaper every day and often
cheaper than the supermarket sale price.

Hard to beat BJ's meat, not just in price, but for quality.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Oct 2013 17:46:04 -0400, "Klem" wrote:

Hard to beat BJ's meat, not just in price, but for quality.

I'll have to trust you on that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Oct 2013 17:46:04 -0400, "Klem" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

You can usually beat the Costco, BJ's etc prices on a lot
of stuff with the weekly specials at the supermarket. In
my experience, if you need something like paper towels or
dishwasher tablets and
you have to buy it today, then those shopping clubs usually
have good prices. But if you can schedule you're buying,
then the supermarket will probably have it a lower price,
you just have to wait a week or two.

On many items, yes. Meats at BJ's are cheaper every day and often
cheaper than the supermarket sale price.

Hard to beat BJ's meat, not just in price, but for quality.

BJ or beat their meat? On second thought, I don't want to know.

Sam's has quite good meat, here. Walmart's is terrible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

$10 ought to get you three months worth of Warfarin, or pretty much
any common generic. I went to one of the big chains to have my
Metaprolol filled. They got me for $16, WITH my employer's insurance.
It was only $4 at Kroger or Walmart, with or without. Turns out that
they don't turn it into my employer because it's significantly less
than the generic drug copay.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You can usually beat the Costco, BJ's etc prices on a lot
of stuff with the weekly specials at the supermarket. In
my experience, if you need something like paper towels or
dishwasher tablets and
you have to buy it today, then those shopping clubs usually
have good prices. But if you can schedule you're buying,
then the supermarket will probably have it a lower price,
you just have to wait a week or two.

On many items, yes. Meats at BJ's are cheaper every day and often
cheaper than the supermarket sale price.

Hard to beat BJ's meat, not just in price, but for quality.

I forget the numbers, but I was looking at BJ's chicken breasts the other
day. My choices were packages of Purdue individually wrapped breasts or
BJ's labeled packages of unwrapped breasts for something like 50 cents a
pound cheaper.

The butcher happened to be nearby so I asked him about the quality of the
BJ's vs. the Purdue. His answer: "All the boxes in the back room say
"Purdue" on them". They buy all their chicken from Purdue and label the
bulk packages with their own label.

I'm sure it's the same way for all of their meats.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06 Oct 2013, DerbyDad03 wrote in
alt.home.repair:

I forget the numbers, but I was looking at BJ's chicken breasts
the other day. My choices were packages of Purdue individually
wrapped breasts or BJ's labeled packages of unwrapped breasts for
something like 50 cents a pound cheaper.

The butcher happened to be nearby so I asked him about the quality
of the BJ's vs. the Purdue. His answer: "All the boxes in the back
room say "Purdue" on them". They buy all their chicken from Purdue
and label the bulk packages with their own label.

I'm sure it's the same way for all of their meats.

The quality of all the meats and deli stuff at BJs is far better than
any of the local conventional stores in my area... and it's much, much
less expensive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 6, 2013 11:11:07 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
In another thread I mentioned buying a new HE washing machine. They

have to use HE type detergent that is low sudsing. (regular machines

can use it too)

I wonder if you could just use less of an ordinary detergent?

Actually, much of the time clothes come just as clean with no detergent, and I suspect this would be even more true with the HE machines. It's the mechanical action that does the cleaning. (google is your friend)
Posted to alt.home.repair

TimR wrote:

I wonder if you could just use less of an ordinary detergent?

The presence or absences of suds is no indication of the cleaning properties of
the detergent. Suds were pushed as a marketing device back in the 50s and 60s
(primarily by Tide) and managed to convince consumers that they were connected
to the cleaning properties of the detergent.

"HE" detergents have been around for decades - they just used to be referred to
a low sudsing.

Actually, much of the time clothes come just as clean with no detergent, and I suspect this would be even more true with the HE machines.
It's the mechanical action that does the cleaning. (google is your friend)

Not everything you read on Google is true. Most clothing contains a significant
amount of residual detergent from previous washings. While you may think you are
washing is plain water, the fact is that residual detergent is still doing it's
thing. Hence the fad some time ago of "Laundry Balls".

Consumers have a difficult time judging the effectiveness of detergent over the
short term. One detergent manufacturer discovered that increasing the amount of
perfume made some consumers think the detergent was stronger. Even absent that -
rinsing may remove some surface dirt, but blood, sweat and ground in dirt need a
quality detergent to remove.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

On 10/6/2013 3:45 PM, dadiOH wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

If you like vanilla (my favorite) you just go to
BJ's. A half gallon (full 64 ounces) is only $10.
They only carry vanilla though. Like you, I buy
other flavors when on sale.

Lord, I'd go broke. Around here, a half gallon is in
the $4.00 - $4.50 range. Not the "super premium"
though. On special, about a buck less. Some cheap
brands for $2.50 always.

I've given up on the cheaper brands with all the fillers
and gums.

One eats what's available

Breyers used to be a good brand, but no more
since they went the cheap route.

Yeah, they no longer even label it as ice cream; they call it a "frozen
dairy dessert".

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2013 8:01 AM, TimR wrote:

I wonder if you could just use less of an ordinary detergent?

Actually, much of the time clothes come just as clean with no detergent, and I suspect this would be even more true with the HE machines. It's the mechanical action that does the cleaning. (google is your friend)

No, regular detergent will suds up too much even if you use less of it.
Many of the detergents are no HE and can be used in any machine and
the cost is about the same.

You don't need a lot, but the surfactants in the detergent are a big
help to the mechanical action to clean stuff. I always use less than
what the guy trying to sell the stuff recommends.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2013 8:16 AM, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:

Consumers have a difficult time judging the effectiveness of detergent over the
short term. One detergent manufacturer discovered that increasing the amount of
perfume made some consumers think the detergent was stronger. Even absent that -
rinsing may remove some surface dirt, but blood, sweat and ground in dirt need a
quality detergent to remove.

I was reading some reviews and one person wrote "I know the clothes are
cleaner because I can smell the detergent" Duh, you can smell residue
and perfume.

Many years ago I was developing a product that needed pressure sensitive
adhesive. No matter how well they worked, people thought the ones that
felt sticky to their finger touch worked best even if actual testing
showed otherwise.

I took one adhesive that was white when wet and added food coloring to
it then did a blind test. The same people chose the red as it stuck
better than the blue or white.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in news:qsm3595mvo3ihcigutuehicd93sg6pe4sf@
4ax.com:

On Sun, 6 Oct 2013 17:46:04 -0400, "Klem" wrote:

Hard to beat BJ's meat, not just in price, but for quality.

I'll have to trust you on that.

chuckle
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

One can't infer that because they came from the same supplier that
they are the same product. That's the fallacious Kenmore vs. Kenmore
manufacturer argument.

I'm sure it's the same way for all of their meats.

I'm sure you're right. BJs probably doesn't make cows, either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The conversation went a little deeper than what I posted. Bottom
line...it's the same chicken.

We switched from the Purdue individually wrapped to the BJ's bulk and
couldn't be more satisfied.

I'm sure it's the same way for all of their meats.

I'm sure you're right. BJs probably doesn't make cows, either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 Oct 2013 19:09:34 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

wrote:

[...]

As long as you're happy....