Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Non-detergent kerosene?

It was suggested that I clean my skungy windows with a diluted solution of
this. Just some in some warm water. The guy swears by it. Is this what
they have at HD? Any difference between non-detergent and the other types?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 3, 7:24*am, "Steve B" wrote:
It was suggested that I clean my skungy windows with a diluted solution of
this. *Just some in some warm water.

Regular window cleaners are fine. Some oldfashioned solutions use
ammonia or white vinegar, if the aroma isn't bothersome.

Kerosene is not compatible with the putty that seals most windows,
I wouldn't use it under any circumstances. And your friend might be
confused, kerosene doesn't mix with water.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"whit3rd" wrote in message
On Dec 3, 7:24 am, "Steve B" wrote:
It was suggested that I clean my skungy windows with a diluted solution of
this. Just some in some warm water.

Regular window cleaners are fine. Some oldfashioned solutions use
ammonia or white vinegar, if the aroma isn't bothersome.

Kerosene is not compatible with the putty that seals most windows,
I wouldn't use it under any circumstances. And your friend might be
confused, kerosene doesn't mix with water.

reply:
Years ago, a customer of mine always had the shiniest Edsel. I said it was
a lot of years ago. He washed it with water which he added a cupful of
kerosene and then used Bar soap and the liquid wash the car. I never tried
it, but he did get a mix with soap and the car was always shiny, even after
the paint had faded.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
It was suggested that I clean my skungy windows with a diluted solution of
this. Just some in some warm water. The guy swears by it. Is this what
they have at HD? Any difference between non-detergent and the other types?

Kerosene diluted with warm water? I don't think so. Kerosene & water
don't mix. Unless you & I don't mean the same thing by "kerosene".

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 3, 5:53*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Steve B wrote:
It was suggested that I clean my skungy windows with a diluted solution of
this. *Just some in some warm water. *The guy swears by it. *Is this what
they have at HD? *Any difference between non-detergent and the other types?

Kerosene diluted with warm water? *I don't think so. *Kerosene & water
don't mix. *Unless you & I don't mean the same thing by "kerosene".

Bob

It doesn’t sound plausible does it? Yet there are a bunch of “home
brew” window cleaning solutions that include kerosene. Here’s one:
http://www.thesuperhandyman.com/tips.html I haven’t tried it myself,
but maybe there’s something to it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 13:55:34 -0800, whit3rd wrote:

On Dec 3, 7:24*am, "Steve B" wrote:
It was suggested that I clean my skungy windows with a diluted solution
of this. *Just some in some warm water.

Regular window cleaners are fine. Some oldfashioned solutions use ammonia
or white vinegar, if the aroma isn't bothersome.

What's the chemical reaction if you mix ammonia water (NH4OH, a strong
base) with white vinegar (acetic acid solution)?

I know NH3 + HCl - NH4CL (sal ammoniac), but what about NH3 + CH3COOH?
I don't remember enough from HS chem. to do this by hand.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 3, 7:24*am, "Steve B" wrote:
It was suggested that I clean my skungy windows with a diluted solution
of this. *Just some in some warm water.

Regular window cleaners are fine. Some oldfashioned solutions use ammonia
or white vinegar, if the aroma isn't bothersome.

What's the chemical reaction if you mix ammonia water (NH4OH, a strong
base) with white vinegar (acetic acid solution)?

I know NH3 + HCl - NH4CL (sal ammoniac), but what about NH3 + CH3COOH?
I don't remember enough from HS chem. to do this by hand.

Thanks,
Rich

Ammonium acetate!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonium_acetate

:-)

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
m...

"whit3rd" wrote in message
On Dec 3, 7:24 am, "Steve B" wrote:
It was suggested that I clean my skungy windows with a diluted solution
of
this. Just some in some warm water.

Regular window cleaners are fine. Some oldfashioned solutions use
ammonia or white vinegar, if the aroma isn't bothersome.

Kerosene is not compatible with the putty that seals most windows,
I wouldn't use it under any circumstances. And your friend might be
confused, kerosene doesn't mix with water.

reply:
Years ago, a customer of mine always had the shiniest Edsel. I said it
was a lot of years ago. He washed it with water which he added a cupful
of kerosene and then used Bar soap and the liquid wash the car. I never
tried it, but he did get a mix with soap and the car was always shiny,
even after the paint had faded.

I found out about that trick as an 18 year old. The shiny metallic paint on
the car I bought faded very rapidly as the kerosene wore off over a few
weeks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 13:55:34 -0800 (PST), the infamous whit3rd
scrawled the following:

On Dec 3, 7:24*am, "Steve B" wrote:
It was suggested that I clean my skungy windows with a diluted solution of
this. *Just some in some warm water.

Regular window cleaners are fine. Some oldfashioned solutions use
ammonia or white vinegar, if the aroma isn't bothersome.

Kerosene is not compatible with the putty that seals most windows,
I wouldn't use it under any circumstances. And your friend might be
confused, kerosene doesn't mix with water.

Vinegar and ammonia are the top 2, er, contaminants of water for
window washing. If you want to get latex paint off, go over it first
with denatured alcohol on a rag. Works like a charm!

Steel wool still works well, as do razor blades. Just be careful.

--
Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas
to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label