Posted to alt.home.repair

Default End Terrace Alley Way Floor

Hi All,

Hoping for some advice. I have an Alley way which my neighbours say is
causing damp along their wall. They believe it is being caused by the
alley way having only a dirt floor and not concrete. My wall facing the
alley way has been fine. I do not have any signs of damp or smells of
damp. Is there likely to be any truth in this and will a concrete floor be
better than the existing dirt?

Any advice would be appreciated.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...or-764278-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 20:44:01 +0000, Curious Bob
wrote:

I have an Alley way which my neighbours say is
causing damp along their wall

Dear HomeGroanerHub's User,

Who owns the Alley Way? Post a photo of the "Alley Way Floor".
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Curious Bob"
wrote
in message
oups.com
Hi All,

Hoping for some advice. I have an Alley way which my
neighbours say is causing damp along their wall. They
believe it is being caused by the alley way having only a
dirt floor and not concrete. My wall facing the alley way
has been fine. I do not have any signs of damp or smells
of damp. Is there likely to be any truth in this and will
a concrete floor be better than the existing dirt?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Heck, let them buy in the concrete.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Bob View Post
Hi All,

Hoping for some advice. I have an Alley way which my neighbours say is
causing damp along their wall. They believe it is being caused by the
alley way having only a dirt floor and not concrete. My wall facing the
alley way has been fine. I do not have any signs of damp or smells of
damp. Is there likely to be any truth in this and will a concrete floor be
better than the existing dirt?

Any advice would be appreciated.

--
posted from
End Terrace Alley Way Floor
using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to home and garden related groups
Does your wall along the alleyway receive sunlight while theirs is perpetually in the shade? That would make a big difference.

I would cover the alleyway mud with a fairly thick plastic (like 10 mil) (meaning 10 thousandths of an inch thick) and see if that changes things.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
"Curious Bob"
wrote
in message
oups.com
Hi All,

Hoping for some advice. I have an Alley way which my
neighbours say is causing damp along their wall. They
believe it is being caused by the alley way having only a
dirt floor and not concrete. My wall facing the alley way
has been fine. I do not have any signs of damp or smells
of damp. Is there likely to be any truth in this and will
a concrete floor be better than the existing dirt?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Heck, let them buy in the concrete.

And where would the water go then?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Curious Bob" wrote in
message oups.com...
Hi All,

Hoping for some advice. I have an Alley way which my neighbours say is
causing damp along their wall. They believe it is being caused by the
alley way having only a dirt floor and not concrete. My wall facing the
alley way has been fine. I do not have any signs of damp or smells of
damp. Is there likely to be any truth in this and will a concrete floor be
better than the existing dirt?

Any advice would be appreciated.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...or-764278-.htm
using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to home and garden related groups

Most likely thing is a defect in their house construction.
American houses are very poorly constructed.
Is there any possibility that dirt has washed in so raising the ground level
which could affect things dampwise?
Also who owns the alley?
How long has the problem existed for?
Do puddles of water lie there when there is heavy rain?
Concreting it is not likely to be a complete solution and may not help at
all depending on the exact problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have an Alley way which my neighbours say is

causing damp along their wall

Dear HomeGroanerHub's User,

Who owns the Alley Way? Post a photo of the "Alley Way Floor".

+1

Gotta love those peculiar vague questions that seem to emerge
from HomeMoanersHub. Very little info. Kind of like someone
asking, "My car is a bit rusty, do you think I should paint it?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Curious Bob wrote:
Hi All,

Hoping for some advice. I have an Alley way which my neighbours say is
causing damp along their wall. They believe it is being caused by the
alley way having only a dirt floor and not concrete. My wall facing the
alley way has been fine. I do not have any signs of damp or smells of
damp. Is there likely to be any truth in this and will a concrete floor be
better than the existing dirt?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Water does not soak into concrete very well. I would think it would
cause more flooding than the current dirt 'floor'.
It is apparently caused by the slope of the alleyway (down from your
side). Maybe you can fix that by sloping the dirt towards the center of
the alleyway from both sides.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 07:40:22 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Dear HomeGroanerHub's User,

Who owns the Alley Way? Post a photo of the "Alley Way Floor".

+1

Gotta love those peculiar vague questions that seem to emerge
from HomeMoanersHub. Very little info. Kind of like someone
asking, "My car is a bit rusty, do you think I should paint it?"

I could be wrong but my understanding is an alley is usually an
easement or right of way for a utility company. Shouldn't they be
responsible for maintenance of the alley?

Without knowing such, the Home Groaner Hub poster might be trying to
fix something that's not his responsibility.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default End Terrace Alley Way Floor - copyright infringement???

Curious Bob wrote:
Hi All,

Hoping for some advice. I have an Alley way which my neighbours say is
causing damp along their wall. They believe it is being caused by the
alley way having only a dirt floor and not concrete. My wall facing the
alley way has been fine. I do not have any signs of damp or smells of
damp. Is there likely to be any truth in this and will a concrete floor be
better than the existing dirt?

Any advice would be appreciated.

There were 7 responses to this question from 6 AHR members.
The Homeowners HUB only posted 4 of the good responses on their site.
The 3 negative responses were not deleted from their site.
Therefore, telling any homeownershub poster to change to a newsserver is
a waste of time. They won't get the message.

I have a question that may, or may not, keep our questions from
appearing on these thieving sites. My question is directed to the those
who are familiar with copyrights.
Can we copyright our questions and answers in this forum with the proper
notice?
Perhaps in the sig line?
My former employer keeps up with me by email and on every post he has
this warning at the bottom of the email.

"PERSONAL & CONFIDENTIAL
The information transmitted herein may contain privileged and/or
confidential material. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or other
use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, information contained
herein or attached hereto by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient(s) is prohibited. Any misdirection or other error in the
transmission of this information is not and shall not be considered a
waiver of any applicable privileges. If you have received this
transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender and destroy
the original transmission and its attachments without saving,
distributing or copying in any manner".

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
Curious Bob wrote:
Hi All,

Hoping for some advice. I have an Alley way which my neighbours say is
causing damp along their wall. They believe it is being caused by the
alley way having only a dirt floor and not concrete. My wall facing the
alley way has been fine. I do not have any signs of damp or smells of
damp. Is there likely to be any truth in this and will a concrete
floor be
better than the existing dirt?

Any advice would be appreciated.

There were 7 responses to this question from 6 AHR members.
The Homeowners HUB only posted 4 of the good responses on their site.
The 3 negative responses were not deleted from their site.

Sorry, again I made an error. Delete the "not" in that sentence. The
above line should read "were deleted from their site".

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Dear HomeGroanerHub's User,

Who owns the Alley Way? Post a photo of the "Alley Way Floor".

+1

Gotta love those peculiar vague questions that seem to emerge
from HomeMoanersHub. Very little info. Kind of like someone
asking, "My car is a bit rusty, do you think I should paint it?"

I could be wrong but my understanding is an alley is usually an
easement or right of way for a utility company. Shouldn't they be
responsible for maintenance of the alley?

Not IME. An easement doesn't imply any such thing, only that they
have access to that area. In some places an alley is like another
street, with the garages off of it instead of the street.

Without knowing such, the Home Groaner Hub poster might be trying to
fix something that's not his responsibility.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 14:47:17 -0400, willshak
wrote:

Curious Bob wrote:
Hi All,

Hoping for some advice. I have an Alley way which my neighbours say is
causing damp along their wall. They believe it is being caused by the
alley way having only a dirt floor and not concrete. My wall facing the
alley way has been fine. I do not have any signs of damp or smells of
damp. Is there likely to be any truth in this and will a concrete floor be
better than the existing dirt?

Any advice would be appreciated.

There were 7 responses to this question from 6 AHR members.
The Homeowners HUB only posted 4 of the good responses on their site.
The 3 negative responses were not deleted from their site.
Therefore, telling any homeownershub poster to change to a newsserver is
a waste of time. They won't get the message.

Another reason to shun such sites.

I have a question that may, or may not, keep our questions from
appearing on these thieving sites. My question is directed to the those
who are familiar with copyrights.
Can we copyright our questions and answers in this forum with the proper
notice?
Perhaps in the sig line?

Likely not. Your TOS likely doesn't give that option. You post it,
they own (rights to) it.

My former employer keeps up with me by email and on every post he has
this warning at the bottom of the email.

Different issue but likely not enforceable, either.

"PERSONAL & CONFIDENTIAL
The information transmitted herein may contain privileged and/or
confidential material. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or other
use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, information contained
herein or attached hereto by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient(s) is prohibited. Any misdirection or other error in the
transmission of this information is not and shall not be considered a
waiver of any applicable privileges. If you have received this
transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender and destroy
the original transmission and its attachments without saving,
distributing or copying in any manner".

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Dear HomeGroanerHub's User,

Who owns the Alley Way? Post a photo of the "Alley Way Floor".

+1

Gotta love those peculiar vague questions that seem to emerge
from HomeMoanersHub. Very little info. Kind of like someone
asking, "My car is a bit rusty, do you think I should paint it?"

I could be wrong but my understanding is an alley is usually an
easement or right of way for a utility company.

That is, the utilities have an easement to use the alley, to put in
poles** and run phone wires and electric wires, etc. But they don't
own the land. If they owned the land it woudln't be called an
easement.

**I suppose there might be underground utilities in the alley too, but
if they're underground, there's not much objection to putting them in
front of the houses.

Shouldn't they be
responsible for maintenance of the alley?

Without knowing such, the Home Groaner Hub poster might be trying to
fix something that's not his responsibility.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 16:29:29 -0600, bud--
wrote:

On 9/26/2013 1:33 PM, Oren wrote:

Putting a disclaimer in a sig line is automatically truncated from
NNTP servers (by design).

I thought sigs were always sent but were eliminated in replies from
competent newsreaders.

"..."signature delimiter", allows software to automatically mark or
remove the sig block as the receiver desires." Upon reply.

NNTP servers can or the Usenet News reader can. NNTP servers happen
to truncate the sig file for space savings. OR should do so. Part of
the RFC (Request for Comment standards developed by the early
engineers for e-mail and Usenet.

Look at the top posting Mormon, he refuses to use a "proper sig file"
or delimiter at the end of his postings, then his religion is not
truncated.

I have thought about using a sig

Got me a new one today

--
"People who worry about crocodiles are smart!" -Joe Machi

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/26/2013 1:33 PM, Oren wrote:

Putting a disclaimer in a sig line is automatically truncated from
NNTP servers (by design).

I thought sigs were always sent but were eliminated in replies from
competent newsreaders.

I have thought about using a sig
--
Stolen from usenet:alt.home.repair without attribution.

Would be interesting who, other than Red Green, is permanently on their
**** list. (Way to go RG!!!)

If RG is the 1st response and everyone responds under him do any of the
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 23:05:13 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

You may recall long back ago I posted a bunch of stuff bashing the hell
out of them to see what would happen. They filtered my ID. Solved that!
Hadn't looked recently so I guess the bounce is forever, Yeaaaaaaa.

Yo bra! You da man.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 19:08:30 -0400, micky
wrote:

I could be wrong but my understanding is an alley is usually an
easement or right of way for a utility company.

That is, the utilities have an easement to use the alley, to put in
poles** and run phone wires and electric wires, etc. But they don't
own the land. If they owned the land it woudln't be called an
easement.

I've asked the OP already -- "Who owns the Alley Way"?

--
"As someone who is dumb, you’re very biased." -- Gavin McInnes

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 9/26/2013 1:33 PM, Oren wrote:

Putting a disclaimer in a sig line is automatically truncated from
NNTP servers (by design).

I thought sigs were always sent but were eliminated in replies from
competent newsreaders.

"..."signature delimiter", allows software to automatically mark or
remove the sig block as the receiver desires." Upon reply.

NNTP servers can or the Usenet News reader can. NNTP servers happen
to truncate the sig file for space savings. OR should do so. Part of
the RFC (Request for Comment standards developed by the early
engineers for e-mail and Usenet.

If servers removed the sig I couldn't see your sig below. (Well, it was
below when I read your post. My newsreader removed it in my post.) And
my reader can't remove it before I read you message for the same reason.

Look at the top posting Mormon, he refuses to use a "proper sig file"
or delimiter at the end of his postings, then his religion is not
truncated.

He used to use one, and all of the previous posts, under his sig, were
deleted in replies to his post. I didn't notice he changed, but would
rather he not use a deleting sig. Of course if he would bottom post and
use a deleting sig.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 08:49:38 -0600, bud-- wrote:

NNTP servers can or the Usenet News reader can. NNTP servers happen
to truncate the sig file for space savings. OR should do so. Part of
the RFC (Request for Comment standards developed by the early
engineers for e-mail and Usenet.

If servers removed the sig I couldn't see your sig below. (Well, it was
below when I read your post. My newsreader removed it in my post.) And
my reader can't remove it before I read you message for the same reason.

I mis-spoke. The server sees the delimiter as the end of the message,
nothing else follows. The newsreader strips it out.