Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Light Fixture Manual Omits Key Feature

*** Vent Mode On ***

I bought a Portfolio (Lowe's brand) Motion Sensing light fixture the other
day and was RTFM to make sure there was nothing strange about the
installation/set up that I should be aware of. When I got done RTFM, I
realized that they didn't mention anything about how to override the motion
sensor and turn the fixture on manually. We use that feature with our
existing fixture and didn't want to lose it.

I called their Customer Service department and the rep told me that he
wasn't sure if the model I bought has that feature. He mentioned that for
the models that specifically include that feature, the override method was
a rapid toggle of the power switch Off-On-Off-On. I was free to try that if
I wish.

I took the fixture down to workshop, plugged my suicide cord into a power
strip, and tested the motion sensor, timer, etc. Once I was sure that
everything work properly, I toggled the power strip Off-On-Off-On. The
fixture flashed 3 times and then stayed on way past the timer setting. I
then manually toggled the power strip Off-On to reset the fixture to Motion
Sensing mode.

None of the above steps were even hinted at in the manual. Since the
engineers obviously built the override logic into the circuitry, even
including a "flash 3 times" indicator, you would think that the tech
writers would have included the instructions in the manual.

*** Vent Mode Off ***
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

If they put all the features in the manual, they'd have to print a new manual
for the next one that has different features?

Posted to alt.home.repair

From what I can figure, common sense is lacking,
in so many levels of government, industry, etc.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/19/2013 11:06 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:06:12 AM UTC-7, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Maybe that portion didn't translate from Chinese?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 15:06:12 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

It is way past time for QR codes to take off. This is a perfect
reason. I am told that some makers are putting QR codes on the boxes
of products. With some products you can scan the code and get a demo
of the product's uses to your smart phone right there in the store.
Although I have never seen one, the QR code should also come with a
link to video assembly instructions as well.

Some smart phones apps are so cool, it would be nice to be able to use
them on a desktop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's a good idea, although some folks are still in paper mode and
need/want a manual. (Not me)

However, a "QR code manual" would be very easy to update, so i like the
idea. On the other hand, even if the manual for my fixture was online, the
root cause still exists: someone, by mistake or by design, left that
feature out of the manual. It would take a consumer (like me) who knows
what features a motion sensing fixture might have to inform them that the
manual was lacking. Other (most?) consumers would probably just ignore it
or not even realize that some fixtures have that feature, thus no phone
call would be made.

On line or not, I doubt my question to the CSR would trigger an update to
the manual. In a perfect world, yes, but that's not where we live.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 08:24:27 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

*** Vent Mode Off ***

If they put all the features in the manual, they'd have to print a new manual
for the next one that has different features?

Very true (ink costs money). At my former work we had a statement in
Post Orders, Specific Post Orders, and Emergency Contingency Plans.

I'll paraphrase (from years ago).

"These Policies, Directives, Orders, and Instructions are not intended
to cover every situation that may arise. Common sense should be used
in all situations."

thanks for the memory
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

If that were the reason, then they've committed themselves to the 3 model
numbers printed on the cover, the fixture design based on the picture on
the cover, the timer choices (4 or 10 mins), the number of seconds the
light remains on when power is applied (45), the operating temperature
range and many other specific features that *are* listed in the manual.

Since I have other motion sensor fixtures with different values for some of
the items listed above, i know that they are not 'fixed' values across all
vendors. I doubt they've forced themselves to remain with one vendor of the
sensor circuitry just to save printing costs.

If I'm not mistaken, the manual override for the motion sensor is a common
feature across all of my motion sensors, although the method to activate it
differs slightly. I'm guessing that reprinting the manual is not the reason
they omitted any mention of the manual override feature.
Posted to alt.home.repair

not including certain features on the box and instruction may encourage shoppers to buy a more expensive more profitable model.....

How much light can I get out of this fixture? Sam Takoy[_2_] Home Repair 16 April 30th 11 07:28 AM
problem replacing ceiling fan/light with light fixture Jan Philips Home Repair 11 December 25th 10 09:22 PM
Light/Fan Fixture Brian Staff Home Repair 5 November 13th 06 12:22 PM
Light Fixture Corinne Home Repair 9 November 10th 05 05:02 AM
Manual for TV feature, Phillips Magnavox TS2746 C221? David Ames Electronics Repair 0 December 5th 03 06:39 PM