Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] KLayton888@aol.com is offline

Default Light Fixture Manual Omits Key Feature

On Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:06:12 AM UTC-7, DerbyDad03 wrote:
*** Vent Mode On ***

I bought a Portfolio (Lowe's brand) Motion Sensing light fixture the other

day and was RTFM to make sure there was nothing strange about the

installation/set up that I should be aware of. When I got done RTFM, I

realized that they didn't mention anything about how to override the motion

sensor and turn the fixture on manually. We use that feature with our

existing fixture and didn't want to lose it.

I called their Customer Service department and the rep told me that he

wasn't sure if the model I bought has that feature. He mentioned that for

the models that specifically include that feature, the override method was

a rapid toggle of the power switch Off-On-Off-On. I was free to try that if

I wish.

I took the fixture down to workshop, plugged my suicide cord into a power

strip, and tested the motion sensor, timer, etc. Once I was sure that

everything work properly, I toggled the power strip Off-On-Off-On. The

fixture flashed 3 times and then stayed on way past the timer setting. I

then manually toggled the power strip Off-On to reset the fixture to Motion

Sensing mode.

None of the above steps were even hinted at in the manual. Since the

engineers obviously built the override logic into the circuitry, even

including a "flash 3 times" indicator, you would think that the tech

writers would have included the instructions in the manual.

*** Vent Mode Off ***

Maybe that portion didn't translate from Chinese?