Old April 29th 11, 07:18 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default How much light can I get out of this fixture?

Hi,

I'm looking at a ceiling fan that can take "(3) 40W 110V candelabra base
(E12)".

With modern light bulbs (CFL or LED) how much light will I actually be
able to get out of it?

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

Old April 29th 11, 09:27 AM posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Sam Takoy wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking at a ceiling fan that can take "(3) 40W 110V candelabra base
(E12)".

With modern light bulbs (CFL or LED) how much light will I actually be
able to get out of it?

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

I'm guessing 12 bushels. But if you don't like my guess, there are
approximately 1 billion resources on the web for you to figure that out.
Sounds like a science homework question that you're disinclined to
research on your own.
Old April 29th 11, 10:14 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/29/2011 4:27 AM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
Sam wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking at a ceiling fan that can take "(3) 40W 110V candelabra base
(E12)".

With modern light bulbs (CFL or LED) how much light will I actually be
able to get out of it?

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

I'm guessing 12 bushels. But if you don't like my guess, there are
approximately 1 billion resources on the web for you to figure that out.
Sounds like a science homework question that you're disinclined to
research on your own.

Not at all. Need to order a ceiling fan before noon today so looking for
a quick answer.
Old April 29th 11, 11:50 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm looking at a ceiling fan that can take "(3) 40W 110V candelabra base
(E12)".

With modern light bulbs (CFL or LED) how much light will I actually be
able to get out of it?

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

Here is a CF that puts out 825 lumens:
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/el...campaignId=T9F

Old April 29th 11, 02:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 6:50*am, "RBM" wrote:
"Sam Takoy" wrote in message

Hi,

I'm looking at a ceiling fan that can take "(3) 40W 110V candelabra base
(E12)".

With modern light bulbs (CFL or LED) how much light will I actually be
able to get out of it?

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

Here is a CF that puts out 825 lumens:http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/el...act-fluorescen...

The issue isn't really how much light the fixture is capable of
handling.
It's how much HEAT. Given that CFLs produce about 75% less heat
than an incadescent, you can put any size you want in.
A 40W CFL would produce about as much light as a 150W incandescent
and I'm sure you don't want anywhere near 3X 150W equiv of light.

Old April 29th 11, 03:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 9:22*am, "
wrote:
On Apr 29, 6:50*am, "RBM" wrote:

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message

Hi,

I'm looking at a ceiling fan that can take "(3) 40W 110V candelabra base
(E12)".

With modern light bulbs (CFL or LED) how much light will I actually be
able to get out of it?

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

Here is a CF that puts out 825 lumens:http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/el...act-fluorescen...

The issue isn't really how much light the fixture is capable of
handling.
It's how much HEAT. *Given that CFLs produce about 75% less heat
than an incadescent, you can put any size you want in.
A 40W CFL would produce about as much light as a 150W incandescent
and I'm sure you don't want anywhere near 3X 150W equiv of light.- Hide quoted text -

and if the CFL will physicall FIT

They have gotten smaller but it can still be a issue
Old April 29th 11, 04:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Apr 29, 6:50 am, "RBM" wrote:
"Sam Takoy" wrote in message

Hi,

I'm looking at a ceiling fan that can take "(3) 40W 110V candelabra base
(E12)".

With modern light bulbs (CFL or LED) how much light will I actually be
able to get out of it?

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

Here is a CF that puts out 825
lumens:http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/el...act-fluorescen...

The issue isn't really how much light the fixture is capable of
handling.
It's how much HEAT. Given that CFLs produce about 75% less heat
than an incadescent, you can put any size you want in.
A 40W CFL would produce about as much light as a 150W incandescent
and I'm sure you don't want anywhere near 3X 150W equiv of light.

**These are candelabra base lamps. I don't think anything is made that would
give you 40 watts CFL in this style. The manufacturers know the type of
fixtures and lamps that they are replacing. The idea is to get an equivalent
amount of lumens as the incandescent produced

Old April 30th 11, 05:36 AM posted to alt.home.repair

In , Sam Takoy wrote mainly:

I'm looking at a ceiling fan that can take "(3) 40W 110V candelabra base
(E12)".

With modern light bulbs (CFL or LED) how much light will I actually be
able to get out of it?

As for retail-available ones, there are "60W-equivalent" candelabra-
base CFLs having actual wattage around 14 watts or so.

They don't produce more heat than 40W incandescents, despite CFLs being
more efficient at producing non-radiant heat than incandescents are.

My guess at this moment such CFLs are good for 700-800 lumens, maybe
claiming at least 800. 700 lumens is "lowish 60 watt equivalence".
Three of these CFLs out-lumens even a 100W 120V halogen or two 50W 12V
halogens designed to last typically 2,000 hours or more.

==============

I would rather go with "40W-equivalent", in order to avoid the
most-aggressive design. I have good experience with 40W-equiv. CFLs
with outer bulbs in ceiling fan fixtures. They use only 9 watts each.

===============

Starting dimmer and needing a full minute or 2 to warm up is worse
for CFLs that have outer bulbs over the tubing, not-as-bad for ones with
bare tubing. (At least generally!)

However, I don't see many candelabra-base CFLs without outer bulbs.

Any chance of replacing the candelabra sockets with E26 ones?

=======
--
- Don Klipstein )
Old April 30th 11, 05:38 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Sam wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking at a ceiling fan that can take "(3) 40W 110V candelabra base
(E12)".

With modern light bulbs (CFL or LED) how much light will I actually be
able to get out of it?

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

I'm guessing 12 bushels. But if you don't like my guess, there are
approximately 1 billion resources on the web for you to figure that out.
Sounds like a science homework question that you're disinclined to
research on your own.

Not at all. Need to order a ceiling fan before noon today so looking for
a quick answer.

I would say go for medium base AKA E26, 13-watt bare spiral tubing CFL.

I have years of experience with that being OK. Looking close to 800
lumens from each 13 watt spiral CFL.
--
- Don Klipstein )
Old April 30th 11, 05:59 AM posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
wrote:

On Apr 29, 6:50*am, "RBM" wrote:
"Sam Takoy" wrote in message

Hi,

I'm looking at a ceiling fan that can take "(3) 40W 110V candelabra base
(E12)".

With modern light bulbs (CFL or LED) how much light will I actually be
able to get out of it?

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

Here is a CF that puts out 825 lumens:
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/el...act-fluorescen...

The issue isn't really how much light the fixture is capable of
handling.
It's how much HEAT. Given that CFLs produce about 75% less heat
than an incadescent, you can put any size you want in.
A 40W CFL would produce about as much light as a 150W incandescent
and I'm sure you don't want anywhere near 3X 150W equiv of light.

Although I largely agree, I would give some caution as to heat
production from CFLs:

I had a 42 watt CFL produce slightly more temperature rise of a
fixture than a 60 watt incandescent.

"How Can That Be?"

CFLs are more efficient than incandescents at producing both light and
non-radiant heat. CFLs are much less efficient at producing optical-band
infrared than incandescents are.

As for CFLs that won't overheat a fixture rated for 60W incandescents:
26-watt CFLs ("full 100 watt incandescent equivalence") won't overheat
the fixture, but they could easily overheat themselves in fixtures other
than table lamps.
And, I am happy with how 13W CFLs behave even in ceiling fan fixtures
with the fan not running.
--
- Don Klipstein )

problem replacing ceiling fan/light with light fixture Jan Philips Home Repair 11 December 25th 10 09:22 PM
Light Fixture ? Virtual Voyager Home Repair 11 September 23rd 09 05:05 PM
Light/Fan Fixture Brian Staff Home Repair 5 November 13th 06 12:22 PM
Light Fixture Corinne Home Repair 9 November 10th 05 05:02 AM
Light Fixture Will No barry martin Home Repair 3 February 23rd 04 10:17 PM