Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Light/Fan Fixture

Sometime ago I invested in a whole bunch of those curly flourescant bulbs
(CFLs) to save on power.

So, when the original incandescant bulbs burned out in my daughters Hampton
Bay fan/light fixture, I replace them with CFLs. I then realized that while
the lights are not dimmable, they apparently do use a dimmer to switch them
on/off in a graceful manner. I then remembered that CFLs will not work with
dimmers...oh well! So, I then replaced the CFL bulbs with some regular
incandescant 60 watters....but they dont work now either. I think I might
have blown something inside by using the CFLs.

Can anybody tell me if this light unit is fixable. The fan still works.

I'd be willing to live without the "dimming" capability and just have a
regular on/off feature. So, if the dimmer has blown, can I just bypass it or
disable it or take it out? If so, where is it?

--
Brian

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Assuming you have a wall switch(dimmer), that went bad. Replace the control.
If it's an electronic control, try resetting the transmitter to receiver
link

"Brian Staff" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I do not have a wall switch dimmer - just two regular wall on/off switches.
It's wired so that either wall switch can be on for the remote control to
work, which is what we normally use is then operate the fan and/or light.
The dimmer itself is, I think, in the fan/light unit, although I'm not sure
where exactly.

Sorry for being naiive here, but how would I "reset" the trasmitter to
receiver link?

--
Brian
"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

You may have to find the papers that came with the unit. Possibly open up
the remote, it may have instructions. Also try removing the batteries and
reinstalling them. There is a code transmitted by the remote and received by
a receiver board in the fan. Unless the receiver board is damaged, it may
have just lost its code

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for your suggestions so far.

The remote control is working because it controls the fan too and I can
control the speed and on/off of the fan. The lights just will not work.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

I understand, but there are two separate receivers in the fan. I'm thinking
the one for the lights lost its code. The process to reset or reprogram them
would affect both