Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why did we need to trim T1-11 to get it to fit?

I was helping a neighbor hang some T1-11 this weekend and we ran into an
issue I didn't expect. It's been a long time since I hung T1-11 but I don't
recall having this problem last time.

We installed 6 sheets, which meant that there was 5 vertical seams. 3 of
the sheets slid right into place with the ship-lap over lapping perfectly,
leaving a vertical groove that matched the grooves in the field and faces
that were flush. However, 2 of the sheets wouldn't slide over far enough,
resulting in a larger groove at the seam.

When we looked at the back side of the first sheet that gave us a problem,
we found that there was extra wood, almost like a tongue, in the area where
the sheet should have overlapped the sheet to the left of it. That wood was
hitting the edge of installed sheet, preventing it from sliding as far as
it should have. I grabbed my circular saw, set it for the depth of the
"lap" and trimmed off the extra wood. It then slid perfectly into place. We
found one other sheet that had the same "tongue" and, as suspected, it
wouldn't slide over far enough either, so we trimmed that one also, giving
us a perfect fit.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Was the extra wood just poor quality
manufacturing? Is it fairly common?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 18:40:23 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Has anyone else run into this issue? Was the extra wood just poor quality
manufacturing? Is it fairly common?

Maybe, yes and no?

I've seen T&G flooring that had a poor groove, because of a sliver of
wood left in the groove from the factory.

From that lesson, it is a good idea to check / inspect the edges of
T&G.

YMMV
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Has anyone else run into this issue? Was the extra wood just poor quality
manufacturing? Is it fairly common?

Maybe, yes and no?

I've seen T&G flooring that had a poor groove, because of a sliver of
wood left in the groove from the factory.

From that lesson, it is a good idea to check / inspect the edges of
T&G.

YMMV

I assume you mean that we should check the edges of ship-lap products also.

T1-11, as far as I know, is always ship-lap, not T&G. I could be wrong, but
if I'm not, then any "tongue" on the edge of T1-11 is nothing more than bad
manufacturing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Has anyone else run into this issue? Was the extra wood just poor quality
manufacturing? Is it fairly common?

Maybe, yes and no?

I've seen T&G flooring that had a poor groove, because of a sliver of
wood left in the groove from the factory.

From that lesson, it is a good idea to check / inspect the edges of
T&G.

YMMV

I assume you mean that we should check the edges of ship-lap products also.

T1-11, as far as I know, is always ship-lap, not T&G. I could be wrong, but
if I'm not, then any "tongue" on the edge of T1-11 is nothing more than bad
manufacturing.

Is this what you call T1-11 ( with T&G )?

http://www.mispress.com/wp-content/uploads/T1-11-siding.jpg

If not, I withdraw my comment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Has anyone else run into this issue? Was the extra wood just poor quality
manufacturing? Is it fairly common?

Maybe, yes and no?

I've seen T&G flooring that had a poor groove, because of a sliver of
wood left in the groove from the factory.

From that lesson, it is a good idea to check / inspect the edges of
T&G.

YMMV

I assume you mean that we should check the edges of ship-lap products also.

T1-11, as far as I know, is always ship-lap, not T&G. I could be wrong, but
if I'm not, then any "tongue" on the edge of T1-11 is nothing more than bad
manufacturing.

Is this what you call T1-11 ( with T&G )?

http://www.mispress.com/wp-content/uploads/T1-11-siding.jpg

If not, I withdraw my comment.

Yes, that is T1-11 but that's not T&G .

Look at the first three products at this site. The first two are T&G, the
third is ship-lap.

http://www.kellyfradet.com/home-exte...-and-clapboard

As far as I know, all T1-11 is ship-lap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 21:44:51 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Look at the first three products at this site. The first two are T&G, the
third is ship-lap.

http://www.kellyfradet.com/home-exte...-and-clapboard

As far as I know, all T1-11 is ship-lap.

Okay. I trust you. I now see the cut. It seems a faulty "ship- lap"
cut is still done at the factory. Thus, inspection of such edges upon
install.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 16, 2013 1:40:23 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Yes, it was poor quality manufacturing and poor quality inspection of the finished product. As others have said, it is not uncommon.

mdf trim Picasso[_2_] Woodworking 8 May 3rd 10 07:35 PM
Not My trim... Oren[_2_] Home Repair 16 October 28th 09 05:55 AM
looking for ss trim Jeff Dieterle[_2_] Metalworking 1 April 7th 08 10:34 PM
Using a trim router bit on 1x2x8 oak trim? N Hurst Woodworking 10 March 1st 06 06:51 PM
Will a flush trim bit plow thru or trim one edge only? bent Woodworking 4 March 1st 06 11:53 AM