Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gorilla glue

What is the difference between "Super" Gorilla glue and "Regular"? Just more concentrated? Or a different formulation?

I usually run the other direction from much-hyped product, so got to wondering...

TIA

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/3/2013 4:02 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
What is the difference between "Super" Gorilla glue and "Regular"? Just more concentrated? Or a different formulation?

I usually run the other direction from much-hyped product, so got to wondering...

TIA

HB

what does the person on the other end of the 800 # say when you call it?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 9/3/2013 6:02 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
What is the difference between "Super" Gorilla glue and "Regular"?
Just more concentrated? Or a different formulation?

From the MSDS --

Gorilla Super Glue
Product description: Ethyl Cyanoacrylate adhesive

It's just another brand of ordinary ol' cyanoacrylate that (probably)
has some minor modifications they can claim credit for. I'd doubt it is
any different functionally than any other, just as their polyurethane
glue isn't fundamentally any different that any of the multitude of
similar others on the market--it's just the brand name and advertising
that made it known.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/3/2013 7:38 PM, dpb wrote:
On 9/3/2013 6:02 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
What is the difference between "Super" Gorilla glue and "Regular"?
Just more concentrated? Or a different formulation?

From the MSDS --

--

Wally World the other day had Gorilla tape and Gorilla wood glue.
They're just spreading their name to other type adhesives. Original
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 9/3/2013 6:47 PM, Frank wrote:
On 9/3/2013 7:38 PM, dpb wrote:

They're just spreading their name to other type adhesives. Original glue
is a polyurethane.

That's what I had just posted....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 3, 2013 4:38:01 PM UTC-7, dpb wrote:
On 9/3/2013 6:02 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

What is the difference between "Super" Gorilla glue and "Regular"?

Just more concentrated? Or a different formulation?

From the MSDS --

Gorilla Super Glue

Product description: Ethyl Cyanoacrylate adhesive

It's just another brand of ordinary ol' cyanoacrylate that (probably)

has some minor modifications they can claim credit for. I'd doubt it is

any different functionally than any other, just as their polyurethane

glue isn't fundamentally any different that any of the multitude of

similar others on the market--it's just the brand name and advertising

that made it known.

--

Hey, thanks! I didn't know about the MSDS; just went & checked it out.

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Sep 2013 16:05:58 -0700, chaniarts
wrote:

what does the person on the other end of the 800 # say when you call it?

Buy the right glue for the project? Boss Higgons never gave a purpose
for the glue or an applicable application.

Some stuff can stick to a ball of lard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Sep 2013 18:38:01 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 9/3/2013 6:02 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
What is the difference between "Super" Gorilla glue and "Regular"?
Just more concentrated? Or a different formulation?

From the MSDS --

Gorilla Super Glue
Product description: Ethyl Cyanoacrylate adhesive

It's just another brand of ordinary ol' cyanoacrylate that (probably)
has some minor modifications they can claim credit for. I'd doubt it is
any different functionally than any other, just as their polyurethane
glue isn't fundamentally any different that any of the multitude of
similar others on the market--it's just the brand name and advertising
that made it known.

I have never found cyanoacrylate (super glue) to be worth buying. It's
garbage. About the only thing it glues well, are people's fingers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The non-super stuff is some kind of viscous
liquid that is water activated. Swells, bubbles,
and sticks amazingly well to wood. I've used it
for chair repair, and also repair pews at church.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/3/2013 7:38 PM, dpb wrote:
On 9/3/2013 6:02 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
What is the difference between "Super" Gorilla glue and "Regular"?
Just more concentrated? Or a different formulation?

From the MSDS --

Gorilla Super Glue
Product description: Ethyl Cyanoacrylate adhesive

It's just another brand of ordinary ol' cyanoacrylate that (probably)
has some minor modifications they can claim credit for. I'd doubt it is
any different functionally than any other, just as their polyurethane
glue isn't fundamentally any different that any of the multitude of
similar others on the market--it's just the brand name and advertising
that made it known.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What did the congressional switchboard operator
say when you called to see if the congress persons
were sticking to their story?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/3/2013 10:57 PM, Oren wrote:

Buy the right glue for the project? Boss Higgons never gave a purpose
for the glue or an applicable application.

Some stuff can stick to a ball of lard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm told the medical profession uses super
glue in some situations to repair wounds.
It's not just for sticking fingers today.

Acetone "nail polish remover" is the solvent
to unstick super glue.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/4/2013 12:39 AM, wrote:

I have never found cyanoacrylate (super glue) to be worth buying. It's
garbage. About the only thing it glues well, are people's fingers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson hypatia08 gmail.com wrote:

What is the difference between "Super" Gorilla glue and
"Regular"?

It's super glue. It's a different animal.

By the way... Keeping superglue (and probably other glues) in the
refrigerator will make it last infinitely longer than keeping it
at room temperature. I have decades of experience using lots of
superglue. Doesn't hurt to keep it out for one day, but return it
to the refrigerator when not planning to use it. Otherwise you
will end up with a hard unusable bottle of superglue within about
two weeks.

--

Just more concentrated? Or a different formulation?

I usually run the other direction from much-hyped product, so
got to wondering...

TIA

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair,free.usenet,free.spirit

mancave toolshed.com wrote:

I have never found cyanoacrylate (super glue) to be worth
buying. It's garbage. About the only thing it glues well, are
people's fingers.

Maybe you don't do the same things that everybody
else does... It is useful for all sorts of temporary and
lightweight gluing tasks, especially plastic (permanently).
Gorilla Glue isn't for plastic, so it is a good complement to
that. Uncoordinated people and people with little situational
awareness might have trouble with superglue.

Just because it doesn't work for its advertised uses is hardly
meaningful. It does not repair glass, but it's useful for
temporarily fixing things to glass. The surfaces must be
finely sanded or they must be like plastic that can be melted by
the superglue. You can see vapor rising from it that will sting
your eyes. Removing it from glass is easy with a scraper. But it
damages plastic.

Hope that helps...

--

feeder.eternal-september.org!feeder.erje.net!eu.feeder.erje.net!
newsfeed.datemas.de!rt.uk.eu.org!aioe.org!.POSTED! not-for-mail
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 23:39:36 -0500

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 5:16:07 AM UTC-7, John Doe wrote:
Higgs Boson hypatia08 gmail.com wrote:

What is the difference between "Super" Gorilla glue and

"Regular"?

It's super glue. It's a different animal.

By the way... Keeping superglue (and probably other glues) in the

refrigerator will make it last infinitely longer than keeping it

at room temperature. I have decades of experience using lots of

superglue. Doesn't hurt to keep it out for one day, but return it

to the refrigerator when not planning to use it. Otherwise you

will end up with a hard unusable bottle of superglue within about

two weeks.

Ay, chihuahua! I didn't have a clue. Tx for tip!

HB

--

Just more concentrated? Or a different formulation?

I usually run the other direction from much-hyped product, so

got to wondering...

TIA

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 5:30:00 AM UTC-7, John Doe wrote:
mancave toolshed.com wrote:

I have never found cyanoacrylate (super glue) to be worth

buying. It's garbage. About the only thing it glues well, are

people's fingers.

Maybe you don't do the same things that everybody

else does... It is useful for all sorts of temporary and

lightweight gluing tasks, especially plastic (permanently).

Gorilla Glue isn't for plastic, so it is a good complement to

that. Uncoordinated people and people with little situational

awareness might have trouble with superglue.

Just because it doesn't work for its advertised uses is hardly

meaningful.

Whoa theyah, John Doe. Things SHOULD work for their advertised uses!

HB

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair

Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 23:39:36 -0500

Posted to alt.home.repair

The daddy was bigger! Whose your mama?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
What is the difference between "Super" Gorilla glue and "Regular"? Just
more concentrated? Or a different formulation?

I usually run the other direction from much-hyped product, so got to
wondering...

TIA

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'm told the medical profession uses super
glue in some situations to repair wounds.
It's not just for sticking fingers today.

I heard, but don't know if it's actually factual, that a Nam MASH unit
glued up some some tricky wounds with off the shelf Super Glue as they
had no alternative... and had satisfactory results.

Far as the Gorilla stuff goes, I have no personal experience with it,
but do remember reading it can be un reliable if not fresh.

Erik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/3/2013 7:50 PM, dpb wrote:
On 9/3/2013 6:47 PM, Frank wrote:
On 9/3/2013 7:38 PM, dpb wrote:

They're just spreading their name to other type adhesives. Original glue
is a polyurethane.

That's what I had just posted....

--

Yes, just reinforcing your comment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/3/2013 8:30 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Tuesday, September 3, 2013 4:38:01 PM UTC-7, dpb wrote:
On 9/3/2013 6:02 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

What is the difference between "Super" Gorilla glue and "Regular"?

Just more concentrated? Or a different formulation?

From the MSDS --

Gorilla Super Glue

Product description: Ethyl Cyanoacrylate adhesive

It's just another brand of ordinary ol' cyanoacrylate that (probably)

has some minor modifications they can claim credit for. I'd doubt it is

any different functionally than any other, just as their polyurethane

glue isn't fundamentally any different that any of the multitude of

similar others on the market--it's just the brand name and advertising

that made it known.

--

Hey, thanks! I didn't know about the MSDS; just went & checked it out.

HB

Good MSDS's:

http://www.gorillatough.com/index.php?page=msds

Disclose all their product ingredients.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 12:16:07 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

Higgs Boson hypatia08 gmail.com wrote:

What is the difference between "Super" Gorilla glue and
"Regular"?

It's super glue. It's a different animal.

By the way... Keeping superglue (and probably other glues) in the
refrigerator will make it last infinitely longer than keeping it
at room temperature. I have decades of experience using lots of
superglue. Doesn't hurt to keep it out for one day, but return it
to the refrigerator when not planning to use it. Otherwise you
will end up with a hard unusable bottle of superglue within about
two weeks.

Hmmmm, maybe that would be a great way to glue all the food containers
to the shelves in the fridge. That way the old lady wont keep eating
and getting fatter and fatter!!!

Of course, dont tell her I said this, or she'll glue my beer cans to the
shelves!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 3, 2013 7:02:04 PM UTC-4, Higgs Boson wrote:
What is the difference between "Super" Gorilla glue and "Regular"? Just more concentrated? Or a different formulation?

"Regular" is polyurethane.
"Super" is cyanoacrylate.