Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What type of plastic is a shroud?

What type of plastic is a shroud? (The one used around a fan in front
of a car radiator). Mine has a crack which I want to fix using some
sort of epoxy or JB Weld, but some plastics can not be glued. I'm not
sure how to determine what type of plastic this is????

Senior Member

Mancave:
Fixing your old shroud is as much work as replacing it with another used shroud.

I'd phone whatever company sells your kind of car locally and ask to speak to their Parts department. They will tell you what model years the manufacturer used that particular shroud, and how you can tell the model year from the car's serial number.. Then, just go check your local auto wrecking yards and see if you can find an identical shroud.

My experience here in Winnipeg is that a fan shroud for a car would probably cost $20 to $30 at an auto wrecker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/3/2013 4:54 PM, Tegger wrote:

Most plastic parts now have a code or molded in letters spelling out
what type of plastic was used in its manufacture to facilitate
recycling. It's even on milk jugs. I suppose the OP can find the label
that can show what type of plastic it is then look it up online. ^_^

http://www.thistothat.com/

TDD

Wouldn't it be simpler if the OP just used duck tape? He can use
gorilla tape if it's on a big, heavy vehicle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/3/2013 6:28 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 9/3/2013 4:54 PM, Tegger wrote:

Most plastic parts now have a code or molded in letters spelling out
what type of plastic was used in its manufacture to facilitate
recycling. It's even on milk jugs. I suppose the OP can find the label
that can show what type of plastic it is then look it up online. ^_^

http://www.thistothat.com/

TDD

Wouldn't it be simpler if the OP just used duck tape? He can use
gorilla tape if it's on a big, heavy vehicle.

I thought gorilla tape was only used to fix gorillas? O_o

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 3, 2013 12:42:41 PM UTC-7, wrote:

What type of plastic is a shroud? (The one used around a fan in front
of a car radiator). Mine has a crack which I want to fix using some
sort of epoxy or JB Weld, but some plastics can not be glued. I'm not
sure how to determine what type of plastic this is????

Don't use JB Weld or other epoxies; they don't work well except on
polyester. Even super glue doesn't work, but worse it can prevent
the right glue from working.

A lot of plastic car parts are marked HDPE, UHMWPE, ABS, PVC,
PC, PP, or ABS + PC. I'm guessing the radiator shroud is HDPE
or ABS.

Apply some lacquer thinner or carburetor/throttle body spray, and
if the plastic dissolves its ABS, PVC, PC or a blend of those two.
ABS and PVC glue really well, but with PC you have only one
shot because the plastic changes to something that can't be glued.

Plastics that don't dissolve usually have to be welded back together with
a soldering iron or wood burning iron (has nonstick tip) and a scrap of
the same material. PC dissolves but is usually better fixed by welding it.
HDPE doesn't weld as well as PC or nylon, so you may have to melt
some metal screen into the cracked area with a heat gun. Look into
Kayak repair because Kayaks are made of HDPE.