Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon Danniken[_7_] Jon Danniken[_7_] is offline

Default What type of plastic is a shroud?

On 09/03/2013 12:42 PM, wrote:
What type of plastic is a shroud? (The one used around a fan in front
of a car radiator). Mine has a crack which I want to fix using some
sort of epoxy or JB Weld, but some plastics can not be glued. I'm not
sure how to determine what type of plastic this is????

First step would be to contact the manufacturer. As for a fix, I would
be reluctant to rely on an adhesive alone, preferring instead to use
fasteners to attach a piece of sheet metal along (and beyond) the crack.
For a more permanent and solid repair, you could sandwich your adhesive
between the patch and the shroud for extra strength.

BTW, you can always test an adhesive by putting a dab on the material
and coming back after a few days to see how easily it scrapes off. I
would start with something like a PVC cement or E6000 and go from there.
Epoxy can be brittle, and might not be the best thing for a shroud that
is subject to vibration and flexing.

Jon