DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What type of plastic is a shroud? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/361716-what-type-plastic-shroud.html)

[email protected] September 3rd 13 08:42 PM

What type of plastic is a shroud?

What type of plastic is a shroud? (The one used around a fan in front
of a car radiator). Mine has a crack which I want to fix using some
sort of epoxy or JB Weld, but some plastics can not be glued. I'm not
sure how to determine what type of plastic this is????

chaniarts[_3_] September 3rd 13 08:54 PM

On 9/3/2013 12:42 PM, wrote:
What type of plastic is a shroud? (The one used around a fan in front
of a car radiator). Mine has a crack which I want to fix using some
sort of epoxy or JB Weld, but some plastics can not be glued. I'm not
sure how to determine what type of plastic this is????

it's almost impossible to find out without expensive tests. it could be
almost anything.

dpb September 3rd 13 09:21 PM

On 9/3/2013 2:42 PM, wrote:
What type of plastic is a shroud? (The one used around a fan in front
of a car radiator). Mine has a crack which I want to fix using some
sort of epoxy or JB Weld, but some plastics can not be glued. I'm not
sure how to determine what type of plastic this is????

What's lost w/ a little epoxy and see if it'll hold? Always can just
try a small spot on the surface somewhere that's out of the way and see
if it sticks or just pops off after dry.

Depending on the crack size/location if thought it really was or was
going to be a problem I'd consider whether could use an exterior patch
of thin sheet metal w/ a pop rivet or two or similar mechanical repair
if the epoxy thing didn't work well...

Or, look carefully -- the shroud on several of my more recent vehicles
has been two pieces, to upper of which, in particular is relatively
simple to remove and possible not terribly difficult to find used
replacement for not that much outlay...

Ed Pawlowski September 3rd 13 09:47 PM

What type of plastic is a shroud?

On Tue, 03 Sep 2013 16:41:45 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 03 Sep 2013 14:42:41 -0500,
wrote:

What type of plastic is a shroud? (The one used around a fan in front
of a car radiator). Mine has a crack which I want to fix using some
sort of epoxy or JB Weld, but some plastics can not be glued. I'm not
sure how to determine what type of plastic this is????

It looks like HDPE

If it is, epoxy is not going to work. I'd drill the crack to stop it
and use a mechanical fix as dbp described. Put a blob of different
glues and see if any stick to it.

Jon Danniken[_7_] September 3rd 13 10:35 PM

On 09/03/2013 12:42 PM, wrote:
What type of plastic is a shroud? (The one used around a fan in front
of a car radiator). Mine has a crack which I want to fix using some
sort of epoxy or JB Weld, but some plastics can not be glued. I'm not
sure how to determine what type of plastic this is????

First step would be to contact the manufacturer. As for a fix, I would
be reluctant to rely on an adhesive alone, preferring instead to use
fasteners to attach a piece of sheet metal along (and beyond) the crack.
For a more permanent and solid repair, you could sandwich your adhesive
between the patch and the shroud for extra strength.

BTW, you can always test an adhesive by putting a dab on the material
and coming back after a few days to see how easily it scrapes off. I
would start with something like a PVC cement or E6000 and go from there.
Epoxy can be brittle, and might not be the best thing for a shroud that
is subject to vibration and flexing.

Jon

Nate Nagel September 3rd 13 10:42 PM

wrote:

What type of plastic is a shroud? (The one used around a fan in front
of a car radiator). Mine has a crack which I want to fix using some
sort of epoxy or JB Weld, but some plastics can not be glued. I'm not
sure how to determine what type of plastic this is????

It looks like HDPE

I don't think that adhesives work well on HDPE but Hazard Fraught sells
a plastic welding kit that might work...

nate

[email protected][_2_] September 3rd 13 10:42 PM

On Tuesday, September 3, 2013 5:35:01 PM UTC-4, Jon Danniken wrote:
On 09/03/2013 12:42 PM, wrote:

[...]

Crazy glue works on a lot of plastics, at least in my
experience. That's what I would try.

Tegger[_4_] September 3rd 13 10:54 PM

wrote:

What type of plastic is a shroud? (The one used around a fan in front
of a car radiator). Mine has a crack which I want to fix using some
sort of epoxy or JB Weld, but some plastics can not be glued. I'm not
sure how to determine what type of plastic this is????

It looks like HDPE

For some reason I'm not seeing the original post in this thread.

Automotive plastics like fan shrouds are often ABS. Sometimes it says so
somewhere on the part..

--
Tegger

Frank[_17_] September 3rd 13 11:15 PM

wrote:

What type of plastic is a shroud? (The one used around a fan in front
of a car radiator). Mine has a crack which I want to fix using some
sort of epoxy or JB Weld, but some plastics can not be glued. I'm not
sure how to determine what type of plastic this is????

It looks like HDPE

For some reason I'm not seeing the original post in this thread.

Automotive plastics like fan shrouds are often ABS. Sometimes it says so
somewhere on the part..

I'd suspect ABS too and even PVC pipe cement might work.

HDPE essentially can't be glued.

nestork September 4th 13 12:01 AM

Mancave:
Fixing your old shroud is as much work as replacing it with another used shroud.

I'd phone whatever company sells your kind of car locally and ask to speak to their Parts department. They will tell you what model years the manufacturer used that particular shroud, and how you can tell the model year from the car's serial number.. Then, just go check your local auto wrecking yards and see if you can find an identical shroud.

My experience here in Winnipeg is that a fan shroud for a car would probably cost $20 to $30 at an auto wrecker.

The Daring Dufas[_8_] September 4th 13 12:13 AM

wrote:

What type of plastic is a shroud? (The one used around a fan in front
of a car radiator). Mine has a crack which I want to fix using some
sort of epoxy or JB Weld, but some plastics can not be glued. I'm not
sure how to determine what type of plastic this is????

It looks like HDPE

For some reason I'm not seeing the original post in this thread.

Automotive plastics like fan shrouds are often ABS. Sometimes it says so
somewhere on the part..

Most plastic parts now have a code or molded in letters spelling out
what type of plastic was used in its manufacture to facilitate
recycling. It's even on milk jugs. I suppose the OP can find the label
that can show what type of plastic it is then look it up online. ^_^

http://www.thistothat.com/

TDD

Dean Hoffman[_13_] September 4th 13 12:28 AM

What type of plastic is a shroud?

On 9/3/2013 4:54 PM, Tegger wrote:

Most plastic parts now have a code or molded in letters spelling out
what type of plastic was used in its manufacture to facilitate
recycling. It's even on milk jugs. I suppose the OP can find the label
that can show what type of plastic it is then look it up online. ^_^

http://www.thistothat.com/

TDD

Wouldn't it be simpler if the OP just used duck tape? He can use
gorilla tape if it's on a big, heavy vehicle.

dpb September 4th 13 12:40 AM

wrote:

What type of plastic is a shroud? (The one used around a fan in front
of a car radiator). Mine has a crack which I want to fix using some
sort of epoxy or JB Weld, but some plastics can not be glued. I'm not
sure how to determine what type of plastic this is????

It looks like HDPE

If it is, epoxy is not going to work. I'd drill the crack to stop it
and use a mechanical fix as dbp described. Put a blob of different
glues and see if any stick to it.

The drill stress relief hole is a good addendum, thanks...

The Daring Dufas[_8_] September 4th 13 01:19 AM

On 9/3/2013 6:28 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 9/3/2013 4:54 PM, Tegger wrote:

Most plastic parts now have a code or molded in letters spelling out
what type of plastic was used in its manufacture to facilitate
recycling. It's even on milk jugs. I suppose the OP can find the label
that can show what type of plastic it is then look it up online. ^_^

http://www.thistothat.com/

TDD

Wouldn't it be simpler if the OP just used duck tape? He can use
gorilla tape if it's on a big, heavy vehicle.

I thought gorilla tape was only used to fix gorillas? O_o

TDD

George September 4th 13 03:36 AM

What type of plastic is a shroud?

On Tue, 03 Sep 2013 14:42:41 -0500, wrote:

What type of plastic is a shroud? (The one used around a fan in front
of a car radiator). Mine has a crack which I want to fix using some
sort of epoxy or JB Weld, but some plastics can not be glued. I'm not
sure how to determine what type of plastic this is????

I decided it was HDPE, for what that's worth.

Our Cavalier was in a fender-bender a couple of years ago. It had
signicant splits in the inner fender (aka splash shield), air intake
duct, and window washer bottle, etc. Glue did nothing. Instead, I
'welded' them with a soldering iron. I just grooved the joints with the
iron, and then 'swirled' the adjacent material to fill it over. We kept
the car another 2 years, and these held up.

I've used that technique on other plastics. Sometimes it works,
sometimes it doesn't. But, it seemed good on the car. Try googling
weld plastic with soldering iron

Ashton Crusher[_3_] September 4th 13 04:21 AM

What type of plastic is a shroud?

On Tue, 03 Sep 2013 14:42:41 -0500, wrote:

What type of plastic is a shroud? (The one used around a fan in front
of a car radiator). Mine has a crack which I want to fix using some
sort of epoxy or JB Weld, but some plastics can not be glued. I'm not
sure how to determine what type of plastic this is????

I used that fiberglass and resin kit stuff form the autoparts store on
one and it worked great, then painted it black.

[email protected] September 4th 13 02:08 PM

On Tuesday, September 3, 2013 12:42:41 PM UTC-7, wrote:

What type of plastic is a shroud? (The one used around a fan in front
of a car radiator). Mine has a crack which I want to fix using some
sort of epoxy or JB Weld, but some plastics can not be glued. I'm not
sure how to determine what type of plastic this is????

Don't use JB Weld or other epoxies; they don't work well except on
polyester. Even super glue doesn't work, but worse it can prevent
the right glue from working.

A lot of plastic car parts are marked HDPE, UHMWPE, ABS, PVC,
PC, PP, or ABS + PC. I'm guessing the radiator shroud is HDPE
or ABS.

Apply some lacquer thinner or carburetor/throttle body spray, and
if the plastic dissolves its ABS, PVC, PC or a blend of those two.
ABS and PVC glue really well, but with PC you have only one
shot because the plastic changes to something that can't be glued.

Plastics that don't dissolve usually have to be welded back together with
a soldering iron or wood burning iron (has nonstick tip) and a scrap of
the same material. PC dissolves but is usually better fixed by welding it.
HDPE doesn't weld as well as PC or nylon, so you may have to melt
some metal screen into the cracked area with a heat gun. Look into
Kayak repair because Kayaks are made of HDPE.