Posted to alt.home.repair

Default clapboard exposure

I'm putting up , 1/2x6" finger-jointed cedar clapboards. (actual board
width is 5 1/4") Nominal exposure seems to be 4". My spacing around a
window would work better if i went to 4 1/4".

I'd appreciate opinions on whether this is too wide. I can 'go narrow',
but that would create some other problems.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/1/2013 10:33 AM, George wrote:
I'm putting up , 1/2x6" finger-jointed cedar clapboards. (actual board
width is 5 1/4") Nominal exposure seems to be 4". My spacing around a
window would work better if i went to 4 1/4".

I'd appreciate opinions on whether this is too wide. I can 'go narrow',
but that would create some other problems.

Thanks.

The 41/4 will be fine. It would be better to story out all situations
and adjust the exposure well in advance. Check bottom of windows, top
of windows, and any other intrusions. Check where you will course out
at the top - you don't want to end up with some small rip.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Sep 2013 11:33:04 -0400, George
wrote:

I'm putting up , 1/2x6" finger-jointed cedar clapboards. (actual board
width is 5 1/4") Nominal exposure seems to be 4". My spacing around a
window would work better if i went to 4 1/4".

What is a "finger-joint" clapboard? All the clapboards I've put up
are "lapped".

I'd appreciate opinions on whether this is too wide. I can 'go narrow',
but that would create some other problems.

It's pushing it. The boards are going to get kinda thin. You might
get some splitting. If it does, you have to remove both layers. If
you're hand nailing this, I'd drill (1/16") pilot holes for the end
holes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm putting up , 1/2x6" finger-jointed cedar clapboards. (actual board
width is 5 1/4") Nominal exposure seems to be 4". My spacing around a
window would work better if i went to 4 1/4".

What is a "finger-joint" clapboard? All the clapboards I've put up
are "lapped".

I'd appreciate opinions on whether this is too wide. I can 'go narrow',
but that would create some other problems.

It's pushing it. The boards are going to get kinda thin. You might
get some splitting. If it does, you have to remove both layers. If
you're hand nailing this, I'd drill (1/16") pilot holes for the end
holes.

Finger jointed to make length. Just like FJ trimboards, brickmold, etc.

I thought about that after I posted. IOW, they're intended to be
painted. I'd just make sure the fingers aren't close to the end (at
least two studs on each piece.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Sep 2013 20:00:14 -0500, DanG wrote:

On 9/1/2013 10:33 AM, George wrote:
I'm putting up , 1/2x6" finger-jointed cedar clapboards. (actual board
width is 5 1/4") Nominal exposure seems to be 4". My spacing around a
window would work better if i went to 4 1/4".

I'd appreciate opinions on whether this is too wide. I can 'go narrow',
but that would create some other problems.

Thanks.

The 41/4 will be fine. It would be better to story out all situations
and adjust the exposure well in advance. Check bottom of windows, top
of windows, and any other intrusions. Check where you will course out
at the top - you don't want to end up with some small rip.

When I laid mine out, I designed it so there would be a 1-1/4" (5-1/4"
board minus 1-1/4" = 4" reveal) strip against the soffits. That
leaves a full board at the top. You're going to have to rip one board
in any case.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 22:05:30 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

wrote in :

On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 17:18:14 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

If they are FJ they will most likely be primed anyway. Usually an oil
prime on all surfaces.

Not sure what you're getting at here, the paint or where to cut? That
wouldn't change my caution to avoid splices at the end of boards.

Short exposure? John Rumm UK diy 3 August 26th 12 09:57 PM
PEX UV exposure JIMMIE Home Repair 1 December 13th 09 05:13 AM
Building a UV PCB exposure box? Aly Electronics 30 October 6th 07 01:45 PM
Pex UV Exposure Concerns [email protected] Home Repair 7 May 23rd 07 12:38 PM
clapboard vs hardie steve Woodworking 0 October 20th 06 03:03 PM