Posted to alt.home.repair

Default clapboard exposure

On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 22:05:30 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

wrote in :

On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 17:18:14 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

wrote in
:

On Sun, 01 Sep 2013 11:33:04 -0400, George
wrote:

I'm putting up , 1/2x6" finger-jointed cedar clapboards. (actual
board width is 5 1/4") Nominal exposure seems to be 4". My spacing
around a window would work better if i went to 4 1/4".

What is a "finger-joint" clapboard? All the clapboards I've put up
are "lapped".

I'd appreciate opinions on whether this is too wide. I can 'go
narrow', but that would create some other problems.

It's pushing it. The boards are going to get kinda thin. You might
get some splitting. If it does, you have to remove both layers. If
you're hand nailing this, I'd drill (1/16") pilot holes for the end
holes.

Finger jointed to make length. Just like FJ trimboards, brickmold,
etc.

I thought about that after I posted. IOW, they're intended to be
painted. I'd just make sure the fingers aren't close to the end (at
least two studs on each piece.

If they are FJ they will most likely be primed anyway. Usually an oil
prime on all surfaces.

Not sure what you're getting at here, the paint or where to cut? That
wouldn't change my caution to avoid splices at the end of boards.