Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Faraday cages

I want to turn my trailer into a large Faraday cage. The outside walls &
roof are tin. How much foil do I need inside on the floors/walls &
ceilings in order to get a true Faraday cage?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/30/2013 11:07 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I want to turn my trailer into a large Faraday cage. The outside walls &
roof are tin. How much foil do I need inside on the floors/walls &
ceilings in order to get a true Faraday cage?

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Just make sure everything is electrically connected to everything else
and you're golden. If the floor is non-metallic you might need to do
something there...

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/30/2013 8:18 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 8/30/2013 11:07 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I want to turn my trailer into a large Faraday cage. The outside walls &
roof are tin. How much foil do I need inside on the floors/walls &
ceilings in order to get a true Faraday cage?

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Just make sure everything is electrically connected to everything else
and you're golden. If the floor is non-metallic you might need to do
something there...

nate

Are you going to use battery power? Are there any wires going from
inside to outside? Any wiring for lights, etc. Will have to be filtered
or else you have defeated the cage. Any windows? Any air vents?

Are you trying to avoid static electricity or are you trying to contain
rf energy?

A Faraday cage is not a trivial project.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

Paul Drahn wrote :
[...]

Screened Rooms are a whole industry.
There are filters for air, water, electricity and whatever you can
AFFORD. :-?

--
John G

Senior Member

Why use aluminum foil that's going to be opaque.

You can use a transparent material, like aluminum window screen mesh, as long as the spaces in the mesh are small compared to the wavelength of the electromagnetic radiation you're wanting to block. That way, you can still enjoy natural light inside your trailer and look out the window to see if it's raining while still being able to block all Sunday morning Evangelical Christian radio and TV shows.

I have a Julio filter on my sound system's tuner. Whenever anything by Julio Iglesius comes on, it automatically changes the station.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/30/2013 10:07 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I want to turn my trailer into a large Faraday cage. The outside walls &
roof are tin. How much foil do I need inside on the floors/walls &
ceilings in order to get a true Faraday cage?

Heck, use electrically conductive paint then aluminum duct tape over all
the cracks then grounded to everything else. Of course aluminum screen
for the windows also wired to the other shielding material. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I want to turn my trailer into a large Faraday cage. The outside walls &
roof are tin. How much foil do I need inside on the floors/walls &
ceilings in order to get a true Faraday cage?

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

All you needi s one of these
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinfoil_hat
It will prevent any ungodly thoughts from enetering your brain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 31, 2013 12:33:18 AM UTC-4, The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 8/30/2013 10:07 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I want to turn my trailer into a large Faraday cage. The outside walls &

roof are tin. How much foil do I need inside on the floors/walls &

ceilings in order to get a true Faraday cage?

Heck, use electrically conductive paint then aluminum duct tape over all

the cracks then grounded to everything else. Of course aluminum screen

for the windows also wired to the other shielding material. ^_^

TDD

I think using a colander on his head, or a tin foil hat would be
easier. He's likely trying to keep the guvmint from reprogramming
him.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Can you still get metal collanders?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/31/2013 9:36 AM, wrote:

I think using a colander on his head, or a tin foil hat would be
easier. He's likely trying to keep the guvmint from reprogramming
him.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08-31-2013 01:12, harryagain wrote:
All you needi s one of these
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinfoil_hat
It will prevent any ungodly thoughts from enetering your brain.

Actually, the demons know how to aim them up under the edge of the thing.

--
Wes Groleau

€śGrant me the serenity to accept those I cannot change;
the courage to change the one I can;
and the wisdom to know it's me.€ť
€” unknown

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 23:07:30 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I want to turn my trailer into a large Faraday cage. The outside walls &
roof are tin. How much foil do I need inside on the floors/walls &
ceilings in order to get a true Faraday cage?

About 2sq.ft. Fold like a paper sail boat, and place over your head;
shiny side out.

One layer of metal, any metal, is enough BUT it has to be connected
continuously around all edges. No non-conductive gaps are allowed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 09:59:53 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Can you still get metal collanders?

How much do you want to spend?

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/searc...d-viewset=ecom
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 17:25:03 -0400, wrote:

Can you still get metal collanders?

How much do you want to spend?

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/searc...d-viewset=ecom

A Faraday cage can be built using two cardboard boxes.

Same trailer, different park?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/30/2013 11:56 PM, John G wrote:
Paul Drahn wrote :
[...]

I've worked in/on places like that, they use fiber for all the comms
that pass through the metal shield. Not sure how they handle the one
big honkin AC power line that by necessity goes through the shield. The
nice lady in the camo uniform wouldn't let me wander off and look at
stuff, although other than that she was friendly and pleasant.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

Paul Drahn wrote :
[...]

I saw an interesting shielded room that was empty of obsolete systems
and all the lines coming through through the walls were shielded in some
way but I didn't get too close look at it because I was busy. It was
back in 1988 when I was working for a contractor building the mission
control center for the SDI (Star Wars) program at The Kwajalein Missile
Range now known as Ronald Reagan Ballistic Missile Defense Test Site. I
loved it out there in The Pacific and would have stayed as long as I
could but left because of nasty smokers who were running things. I
doubt that's happening these days because inhaling the byproducts of
combustion to get a drug albeit legal and exposing others to the poison
some must have a regular intervals has become socially unacceptable. I
couldn't think of going back because age and disability have caught up
with me but damn, I miss the place and the island lifestyle. ^_^

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwajalein_Atoll

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald...ense_Test_Site

https://tinyurl.com/mx93bxj

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 17:05:34 -0700, Nate Nagel
wrote:

...snip...

I've worked in/on places like that, they use fiber for all the comms
that pass through the metal shield. Not sure how they handle the one
big honkin AC power line that by necessity goes through the shield. The
nice lady in the camo uniform wouldn't let me wander off and look at
stuff, although other than that she was friendly and pleasant.

nate

four ways:
1. for 'normal' screen rooms, use tubularly shaped [usually] RFI/EMI AC
line filters
2. for decent separation, use isolation-type transformer with primary on
one side of boundary and secondary on second side of boundary and filter
both boundary and lines to your heart's content.
3. for really extreme, use relatively small diameter, non-conductive shaft
to transfer energy via motor driving a generator. the rod goes through a
tube that is more than twice as long as diameter and get decent shielding.
4. for almost complete, fueled generator, with 'air' flow over broad areas
through those hexagonal [beehive-looking] screen filters
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I want to turn my trailer into a large Faraday cage. The outside walls &
roof are tin. How much foil do I need inside on the floors/walls &
ceilings in order to get a true Faraday cage?

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Chris I don't know what you trying to do and I believe it is not for your
self;

However trailer can be made very easily to block RFI, EMI, but as they say
money makes world go around. For inside get aluminum sheeting 4'x8' overlap
˝' to 1' and screw it together, Doors you most use braided heavy cooper wire
to ground all doors next to hinges. Power coming in can be done by grounding
bank of capacitors with different range of capacity in order to cover broad
range of frequencies on outside wall and inside, wires should go through
metal pipe from connecting box outside to connecting box inside, also you
can purchase Ferrite Core Noise Suppressor EMI RFI Clip Cable Filters with
selective frequency that will limit interference with in their range, again
same hook up precaution should be taking as with capacitors and both can be
use spaced some what apart for better cleaning..

Good luck Tony

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 10:13:34 -0700, Tony944 wrote:

...snip...

However trailer can be made very easily to block RFI, EMI, but as they
say
money makes world go around. For inside get aluminum sheeting 4'x8'
overlap
½' to 1' and screw it together, Doors you most use braided heavy cooper
wire
to ground all doors next to hinges. Power coming in can be done by
grounding
bank of capacitors with different range of capacity in order to cover
broad
range of frequencies on outside wall and inside, wires should go through
metal pipe from connecting box outside to connecting box inside, also you
can purchase Ferrite Core Noise Suppressor EMI RFI Clip Cable Filters
with
selective frequency that will limit interference with in their range,
again
same hook up precaution should be taking as with capacitors and both can
be
use spaced some what apart for better cleaning..

Good luck Tony

RFI, yes. EMI, no.

probably up passed 100kHz magnetic fields will 'punch' right through that
aluminum sheeting like it's barely there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Just from practical experience I can say a garden variety aluminum
frame screen cage with aluminum screen rolled in it is a pretty
effective Faraday Cage. Radios and TVs will not work at all unless you
have an external antenna or cable.

Hi,
Also there is conductive paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Someone out in the ether has been spoofing me.
No worries, s/he is actually funnier than I am.
Making me look good.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/26/2013 1:13 PM, Tony944 wrote:

Chris I don't know what you trying to do and I believe it is not for your
self;

However trailer can be made very easily to block RFI, EMI, but as they say

Good luck Tony

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony944" wrote in message

[...]

First question is -- are you trying to keep the RF in question inside or the
outside stuff from getting in? It also helps to know the frequency.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

Keeping out. Every few days, is the frequency.

The CIA has been vibrating me, and making me insane.
Which is why I keep eating the purple spots on my
nose.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/26/2013 4:03 PM, Tomsic wrote:

First question is -- are you trying to keep the RF in question inside or the
outside stuff from getting in? It also helps to know the frequency.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 17:04:30 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Keeping out. Every few days, is the frequency.

The CIA has been vibrating me, and making me insane.
Which is why I keep eating the purple spots on my
nose.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 30, 2013 10:07:30 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I want to turn my trailer into a large Faraday cage. The outside walls & roof are tin. How much foil do I need inside on the floors/walls & ceilings in order to get a true Faraday cage? . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus www.lds.org .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 30, 2013 10:07:30 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I want to turn my trailer into a large Faraday cage. The outside walls & roof are tin. How much foil do I need inside on the floors/walls & ceilings in order to get a true Faraday cage? . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus www.lds.org .

The scary part is the Navy Yard shooter talked about ELF (extremely low frequencies) but those waves are difficult to launch unles you have huge antennas, hundreds of feet in length. I assume Normin is trolling, or he would have given us enuf information to give him some really practical advice.

No one mentioned aluminum-clad sheetrock for wall panels. We have used that in some special installations where the transmitters on trains coming into the switching yard were causing interference to colocated telephone equipment, Sealed the seams of the sheet rock with 4" wide copper tape that had conductive adhesive to hold it in place. Worked like a charm. But those frequencies were in the MHZ range, not ELF. Conductive paint will give some attenuation, but as soon as there is a seam or any break in the paint surface, you lose most of the shielding effectiveness. As an EMC engineer for 35+ years at Bell Labs and past president of the IEEE EMC Society, I have seen just about anything (and everything) people have proposed to block radio waves. Solid metal surfaces with no break or seams is best, but at low frequencies, you also need something that is a magnetic material like iron or steel or some exotic metal like mumetal to block radio waves.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My spoof is starting things on my behalf.

I'm responding with humor.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/26/2013 10:03 PM, wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:
[...]

Radio waves are effectively blocked with the cage, if it's solid.
I got some buildings built with aluminum backed drywall. At least I
informed some people that the local tv tower created problems, which was
about 500 feet away. The building engineers specified the details. Metal
studs were also used to tie them together. It was only partially effective
for the rooms around the perimeter of the 13 story building. Windows and
doorways allowed penetration. The interior rooms were pretty good. The
channel 13 PBS station later converted to digital, and interference was
minimal. There were still tons of other services on the tower. Most of the
faraday cages I worked with, were mainly for 60 hz electrostatic noise. A
motorized device, or other high current device, still penetrates the cage
with magnetics.

That aluminum drywall would be pretty good for moisture control.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

All those people in uniforms. Scares me,
just like the mail man.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote:

The CIA has been vibrating me, and making me insane.

Stay away from the Navy Yard

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 30, 2013 11:07:30 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I want to turn my trailer into a large Faraday cage.

Steal your neighbors steel garbage cans and put your junk in them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

That won't help with the CIA vibrating me. Hey! Now I know... you work
for the CIA and you're out to get me?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/27/2013 8:44 AM, Thomas wrote:
On Friday, August 30, 2013 11:07:30 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I want to turn my trailer into a large Faraday cage.

Steal your neighbors steel garbage cans and put your junk in them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

NO but my uncle "Martian" will get you!

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...
That won't help with the CIA vibrating me. Hey! Now I know... you work
for the CIA and you're out to get me?

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

On 9/27/2013 8:44 AM, Thomas wrote:
On Friday, August 30, 2013 11:07:30 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I want to turn my trailer into a large Faraday cage.

Steal your neighbors steel garbage cans and put your junk in them.

Faraday's Law Tom Del Rosso[_5_] Electronic Schematics 4 November 25th 12 06:37 PM
Tomato cages ransley Home Repair 24 July 17th 10 04:36 PM
paint roller cages Stephen[_6_] UK diy 5 October 22nd 09 10:22 PM
Split Faraday's Law [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 June 29th 07 08:46 AM
DIY Faraday cage for a mobile phone Simon UK diy 36 May 4th 06 07:26 PM