Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default paint roller cages

Hello,

I had forgotten just how much I hate painting; ceilings especially.

I have bought various bits and pieces by Harris; I thought they were
supposed to be a good brand?

The first time I bought some nine inches roller cages and an extension
pole for the ceiling from Screwfix:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/48236/...me-9-Pack-of-3

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12639/...Roller-Pole-2m

The cages were fine for use in the hand but they were a push fit onto
the pole and did not stay secure. I can't remember but I think I gave
up with the pole last time.

So this time I bought a screw on cage:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/93335/...Roller-Frame-9

Sadly, I haven't had much luck with this either. I keep getting
tram-lines from the edges of the roller. The sleeve keeps sliding off
the cage and the plastic end leaves a line in the paint.

I found that taking the cage off the pole and using the roller by hand
off a stepladder reduced the sleeve from sliding as much. Perhaps the
sliding force is greater when at the end of a pole (moment and all
that?)

If I ever do a ceiling again, should I go for a 12 inch cage that
holds the sleeve at both ends; at least then the sleeve can't slide
anywhere?!

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12022/...oller-Frame-12

BTW all the sleeves were the Harris ones on the same screwfix pages.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

SNIP

What am I doing wrong?

Trying to find an easy way to paint seilings - there isn't one :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Stephen
writes

If I ever do a ceiling again, should I go for a 12 inch cage that
holds the sleeve at both ends; at least then the sleeve can't slide
anywhere?!

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12022/...-Trays/Harris-
Paint-Roller-Frame-12

BTW all the sleeves were the Harris ones on the same screwfix pages.

What am I doing wrong?

Walking sleeves are normal but get worse when you push harder (in
frustration), just push the sleeve back on regularly when you reload the
roller (or in between) and try to keep the pressure light and even.

Reload the roller little and often, it will reduce the tendency to push
surplus paint to the edges, leaving stripes. If you get stripes, just go
over the striped area with light strokes.

If your roller handle is a sloppy fit of your extension pole then wrap
some duct tape round the end of the pole to take up the slack.

Always work in a manner to leave overlapping wet edges, the paint will
blend better.

I've not used 12in cages, let us know how you get on.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 21:32:34 +0100, Stephen
wrote:

[...]

Even using a single ended cage I have never had a sleeve slide off the
cage .They are usually a very tight fit. I normally use a double
ended sheepskin roller that I bought years ago from a decorators place
so that can't happen anyway .

As for the push-fit handles swivelling on the pole... that I have had
happen on the odd occasion but I just hammer the pole in tighter .

As for the tramlines I don't think I have had that ...if the plastic
is causing it does that not suggest the roller material is too thin or
the roller is being over rollered until there is no paint left on it .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 23:00:24 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

What am I doing wrong?

Trying to find an easy way to paint seilings - there isn't one :-)

Sorry for the late reply, I have been busy painting it and the rest of
the room. Thanks for the reassurance that they are supposed to be that
hard and that I wasn't doing anything stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 00:31:34 +0100, fred wrote:

Walking sleeves are normal but get worse when you push harder (in
frustration), just push the sleeve back on regularly when you reload the
roller (or in between) and try to keep the pressure light and even.

Hello. Sorry for the late reply. I am sure heavy handedness played a
part in my problem. I guess my instinct was to press [too] hard to
fight gravity and keep the roller on the ceiling.

I've not used 12in cages, let us know how you get on.

I bought a 12 inch cage to do the ceiling. All of the ones I have seen
are supported at both ends, which should stop the sleeves creeping
off. It didn't slide off when I used it but may be by then I had taken
your advice on board and wasn't pressing so hard.

I suppose one advantage is that it covers a wider width in one stroke
than a nine inch roller but OTOH the trays are too big to fit into the
sink to wash them afterwards.

For the walls I found the "traditional" nine inch rollers were
satisfactory. I don't know whether a 12 inch roller would have been
too bulky to handle?