Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Faraday cages

On 8/30/2013 11:56 PM, John G wrote:
Paul Drahn wrote :
On 8/30/2013 8:18 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 8/30/2013 11:07 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I want to turn my trailer into a large Faraday cage. The outside
walls &
roof are tin. How much foil do I need inside on the floors/walls &
ceilings in order to get a true Faraday cage?

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Just make sure everything is electrically connected to everything else
and you're golden. If the floor is non-metallic you might need to do
something there...

nate

Are you going to use battery power? Are there any wires going from
inside to outside? Any wiring for lights, etc. Will have to be
filtered or else you have defeated the cage. Any windows? Any air vents?

Are you trying to avoid static electricity or are you trying to
contain rf energy?

A Faraday cage is not a trivial project.

Paul

Screened Rooms are a whole industry.
There are filters for air, water, electricity and whatever you can
AFFORD. :-?

I've worked in/on places like that, they use fiber for all the comms
that pass through the metal shield. Not sure how they handle the one
big honkin AC power line that by necessity goes through the shield. The
nice lady in the camo uniform wouldn't let me wander off and look at
stuff, although other than that she was friendly and pleasant.

nate