Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Not Happy With Riding Mower Cut

I have a Craftsman 26.0 HP, 48" Mower
Model No. 917.275901. It has triple cutting blades.
After I added a mulching kit this year, I find the mower cuts very
uneven. At the suggestion of some Google searching, I have examined
the blade heights, and I think they are level. But I do notice that
cut-grass bunches up greatly and rapidly on the one deck-side, where
the chute used to go, but is now covered with a blocking plastic
'plate'. I have to hand-dig the 'bunched' grass from the deck
underside three-four times each cutting for my 1/2 acre. The grass
pretty-much encompasses the cutting blade next to that deck end. When
I do that, it cuts more evenly.

So I wonder, is there anything I can do to try to reduce the 'bunching
up'?

Suggestions?

Apeman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 10:42:01 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/28/2013 7:11 AM, wrote:
I have a Craftsman 26.0 HP, 48" Mower
Model No. 917.275901. It has triple cutting blades.
After I added a mulching kit this year, I find the mower cuts very
uneven. At the suggestion of some Google searching, I have examined
the blade heights, and I think they are level. But I do notice that
cut-grass bunches up greatly and rapidly on the one deck-side, where
the chute used to go, but is now covered with a blocking plastic
'plate'. I have to hand-dig the 'bunched' grass from the deck
underside three-four times each cutting for my 1/2 acre. The grass
pretty-much encompasses the cutting blade next to that deck end. When
I do that, it cuts more evenly.

So I wonder, is there anything I can do to try to reduce the 'bunching
up'?

Mulching blades chop the grass multiple times to make a finer clipping.
First thing to try is to mow slower so the blades have more time to do
the job.

Good idee.

OK, that should be second. First is to be sure the blades are on the
right way and not upside down.

I hope I put them on right. I'll check. I'll have to find a diagram
somewhere just to make sure.

You also mention that the blads are
even. Is there a way to adjust the height of each?

Supposed to be. I am going to check that.

It may help if the
blade on the bunching side was adjusted slight up or down to throw the
clippings in a different manner.

I can try that.

I thank you.

The Apeman
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/28/2013 6:11 AM, wrote:
I have a Craftsman 26.0 HP, 48" Mower
Model No. 917.275901. It has triple cutting blades.
After I added a mulching kit this year, I find the mower cuts very
uneven. At the suggestion of some Google searching, I have examined
the blade heights, and I think they are level. But I do notice that
cut-grass bunches up greatly and rapidly on the one deck-side, where
the chute used to go, but is now covered with a blocking plastic
'plate'. I have to hand-dig the 'bunched' grass from the deck
underside three-four times each cutting for my 1/2 acre. The grass
pretty-much encompasses the cutting blade next to that deck end. When
I do that, it cuts more evenly.

So I wonder, is there anything I can do to try to reduce the 'bunching
up'?

You close up the discharge chute and then are surprised the grass has
nowhere to go except to that closed location???? What do you expect to
happen?

Only real solution is to mow frequently enough there's not enough
clippings that the mulching action can handle it. As another said,
creeping along will give more time for it to handle a little more
material but there's a basic problem that it has to go somewhere.

Ensuring it's dry when mowing will help a little as well but better
solution would possibly a bagging unit instead. Altho I've just gotten
a new 42" ZTR and it's just barely adequate to have sufficient discharge
velocity to keep up w/ the output given the speed at which it runs as
compared to the old rider w/ (I think 38" cut). Might have to go to one
of the externally-powered units to be able to use the full capacity of
the mower.

But, imo, there's no way you can expect to "mulch" that much material at
any speed of practical use unless you can mow it frequently enough that
there's only a smidge being cut each pass...

Posted to alt.home.repair

There used to be a teflon spray for the same app. It was expensive as
I recall. Someone once suggested PAM. Since the grass clumping is
also adhering to the deck underside, a lubricant thereon is a
promising idea.

This is the first three-blade cutter I have owned (48"). I thought
that might be causing trouble. My old two-bladers never seemed to cut
uneven. Their muclching adapters did sometimes clump up however.
Oh how I miss my old Signature. That sucker just ran and ran until its
heart gave out.

Thanks

The Apeman

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 07:32:33 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Pressure wash the underside of the deck, then
let it dry. When dry, spray with a good brand
of aeroseol silicone lube, so the under side
of the deck is slippery.

Might help.....

Mower supply places used to have spray to keep
grass from sticking to the deck, but that was
years ago. Not sure they do now days.

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

On 8/28/2013 7:11 AM, wrote:
I have a Craftsman 26.0 HP, 48" Mower
Model No. 917.275901. It has triple cutting blades.
After I added a mulching kit this year, I find the mower cuts very
uneven. At the suggestion of some Google searching, I have examined
the blade heights, and I think they are level. But I do notice that
cut-grass bunches up greatly and rapidly on the one deck-side, where
the chute used to go, but is now covered with a blocking plastic
'plate'. I have to hand-dig the 'bunched' grass from the deck
underside three-four times each cutting for my 1/2 acre. The grass
pretty-much encompasses the cutting blade next to that deck end. When
I do that, it cuts more evenly.

So I wonder, is there anything I can do to try to reduce the 'bunching
up'?

Suggestions?

Apeman

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 09:57:36 -0500, dpb wrote:

You close up the discharge chute and then are surprised the grass has
nowhere to go except to that closed location???? What do you expect to
happen?

I guess you have a point. In that case, it would be the nature of the
beast - the beast in this case being the way mulching works.
I hope spraying something on the underside of the deck will reduce the
sticking of the grass clumps to the deck.

I would return to bagging the grass - I have a three-bag bagging kit
for ths mower, but the last time I bagged grass for a 1/2-acre lot I
generated 23-25 bags of cut grass a week. Where I live now I have no
way to get rid of that volume of cut grass without spending big bucks.

Life shouldn't be this difficult.
Thanks
The Apeman

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/28/2013 1:38 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 09:57:36 -0500, dpb wrote:

You close up the discharge chute and then are surprised the grass has
nowhere to go except to that closed location???? What do you expect to
happen?

I guess you have a point. In that case, it would be the nature of the
beast - the beast in this case being the way mulching works.
I hope spraying something on the underside of the deck will reduce the
sticking of the grass clumps to the deck.

I would return to bagging the grass - I have a three-bag bagging kit
for ths mower, but the last time I bagged grass for a 1/2-acre lot I
generated 23-25 bags of cut grass a week. Where I live now I have no
way to get rid of that volume of cut grass without spending big bucks.

Don't bag, I have 2 acres and just let it go out, regular blades, always
point the chute to the cut side, never to the uncut side, that way it
won't clump on the grass and require a second cut when you come to cut
the uncut+ cut sitting on top of it.

--
Jeff

riding mower again HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 3 June 17th 13 03:00 AM
riding mower again [email protected][_2_] Home Repair 1 June 16th 13 06:57 PM
riding mower again dpb Home Repair 0 June 14th 13 06:08 PM
riding mower cj Home Repair 22 June 12th 13 05:08 AM
Ran oil out on riding mower - mar10 Home Repair 23 July 27th 06 02:39 AM