Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Not Happy With Riding Mower Cut

On 8/28/2013 7:11 AM, wrote:
I have a Craftsman 26.0 HP, 48" Mower
Model No. 917.275901. It has triple cutting blades.
After I added a mulching kit this year, I find the mower cuts very
uneven. At the suggestion of some Google searching, I have examined
the blade heights, and I think they are level. But I do notice that
cut-grass bunches up greatly and rapidly on the one deck-side, where
the chute used to go, but is now covered with a blocking plastic
'plate'. I have to hand-dig the 'bunched' grass from the deck
underside three-four times each cutting for my 1/2 acre. The grass
pretty-much encompasses the cutting blade next to that deck end. When
I do that, it cuts more evenly.

So I wonder, is there anything I can do to try to reduce the 'bunching
up'?

Mulching blades chop the grass multiple times to make a finer clipping.
First thing to try is to mow slower so the blades have more time to do
the job.

OK, that should be second. First is to be sure the blades are on the
right way and not upside down. You also mention that the blads are
even. Is there a way to adjust the height of each? It may help if the
blade on the bunching side was adjusted slight up or down to throw the
clippings in a different manner.