Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Copper

I wonder if handling copper is good.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265012.php

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to gregz , passerby wrote:
zekor wrote:

I wonder if handling copper is good.

Just wash your hands after you handled it. I don't like the smell copper
leaves on your hands when it starts reacting with sweat, so it's easy to
remember to just go wash them right away after you're done. There's
probably not one metal out there handling which, then immediately handling
food, is exactly *good*.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...er-760416-.htm

Senior Member

If there were a direct link between Alzheimers and the ingestion of, or even handling of, copper, then there would be a disease called "plumber's disease" just like there is "black lung" for coal miners and mesothelioma for people who worked with asbestos.

In order to make a solder joint, you have to sand the oxide layer off the copper pipe and brush out the oxide layer on the fitting. That creates copper dust particles that are small enough to hang in the air for hours.

How many plumbers do you know that wear a dust mask when they sand copper pipe? I don't know of any.

If what that report suggests is true, they could easily prove it be comparing the rate of Alzheimers amongst retired plumbers with that of the general population. I doubt they'll find any correlatioin because plumbers often bring their sons into their business, and if there was a strong correlation between Altzheimers and copper, then many of the plumbing companies in major cities where the family owned company has been in business since the 1950's would have noticed the prevalence of Alzheimers in their family.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/22/2013 10:15 PM, gregz wrote:
I wonder if handling copper is good.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265012.php

Greg

Every fracking thing in our environment is toxic. Too much water can
kill you, too much sunlight can kill you, too much oxygen or CO2 can
kill you, eating too much of anything can kill you. The human body is
in a fight for its life every minute of the day because so many things
and microscopic critters are trying to kill it. I spoke to some doctors
about aluminum in pans and antiperspirants leading to Alzheimers
disease. One physician told me that the most exposure to aluminum is
from antiperspirants rather than aluminum cooking pots and pans. So
there is so much conflicting research on the toxicity of anything in our
environment that it makes you want to live in a bubble but wait, is the
bubble made from anything that's toxic? O_o

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"gregz" wrote in message
I wonder if handling copper is good.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265012.php

Greg

I remember reading articles about famous restaurant chefs. Some of them
said, proudly, that they "only cooked in copper pots". On our farm, my
mother made jam, apple butter, boiled sweet corn and rendered lard in a
large copper pot over an open fire. That was 65 years ago. No one in our
family of 5 was afflicted with Alzheimers or dementia as they aged.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2013 1:04 AM, nestork wrote:
If there were a direct link between Alzheimers and the ingestion of, or
even handling of, copper, then there would be a disease called
"plumber's disease" just like there is "black lung" for coal miners and
mesothelioma for people who worked with asbestos.

I think there may be something to it. I was told that if I touch my
pipe too much, I'll go blind. I'm already wearing really strong glasses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Freon ... ozone hole....

carbon dioxide.... global warming.....

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/23/2013 9:33 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I think there may be something to it. I was told that if I touch my
pipe too much, I'll go blind. I'm already wearing really strong glasses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 05:21:30 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Every fracking thing in our environment is toxic. Too much water can
kill you, too much sunlight can kill you, too much oxygen or CO2 can
kill you, eating too much of anything can kill you. The human body is
in a fight for its life every minute of the day because so many things
and microscopic critters are trying to kill it. I spoke to some doctors
about aluminum in pans and antiperspirants leading to Alzheimer’s
disease. One physician told me that the most exposure to aluminum is
from antiperspirants rather than aluminum cooking pots and pans. So
there is so much conflicting research on the toxicity of anything in our
environment that it makes you want to live in a bubble but wait, is the
bubble made from anything that's toxic? O_o

TDD

FARK: "Coffee: once bad for you, then good, then bad, then good, then
instantly fatal, then really great, now bad again. All that just in
2013. Bonus: this time it's harmless to geezers"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Copper, coffee, and toxins

Prohibited under LDS word of Wisdom in the 1800s.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/23/2013 11:21 AM, Oren wrote:

FARK: "Coffee: once bad for you, then good, then bad, then good, then
instantly fatal, then really great, now bad again. All that just in
2013. Bonus: this time it's harmless to geezers"

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Absolutely. The speculation is bull****. Epi studies on tradesmen go
on all the time. If copper were a problem, it would have shown up long ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
[...]

But then, the article was only about dietary copper intake.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2013 8:11 AM, Tomsic wrote:
"gregz" wrote in message
I wonder if handling copper is good.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265012.php

Greg

I remember reading articles about famous restaurant chefs. Some of them
said, proudly, that they "only cooked in copper pots". On our farm, my
mother made jam, apple butter, boiled sweet corn and rendered lard in a
large copper pot over an open fire. That was 65 years ago. No one in our
family of 5 was afflicted with Alzheimers or dementia as they aged.

Tomsic

I was thinking that copper is used to make the full metal jacket on
bullets, I suppose copper in that form can be quite toxic along with the
lead component of the bullet? O_o

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 09:11:28 -0400, "Tomsic" wrote:

I remember reading articles about famous restaurant chefs. Some of them
said, proudly, that they "only cooked in copper pots". On our farm, my
mother made jam, apple butter, boiled sweet corn and rendered lard in a
large copper pot over an open fire. That was 65 years ago. No one in our
family of 5 was afflicted with Alzheimers or dementia as they aged.

Tomsic

I interviewed some ancestors raised on a farm. They actually had a
half-dozen eggs for breakfast, fried bacon, biscuits and gravy - stuff
folks say will kill you.

They lived a long healthy life. When asked what they ate in 1921,
moving to another state - the answer was "anything we could kill!"

Tough and rugged people born on a farm.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 16:37:58 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

I was thinking that copper is used to make the full metal jacket on
bullets, I suppose copper in that form can be quite toxic along with the
lead component of the bullet? O_o

TDD

I've never seen a duck die from lead poisoning. Gun shot, sure.

What about real copper pennies from years ago? Folks never became sick
from handling them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was thinking that copper is used to make the full metal jacket on
bullets, I suppose copper in that form can be quite toxic along with the
lead component of the bullet? O_o

TDD

I've never seen a duck die from lead poisoning. Gun shot, sure.

What about real copper pennies from years ago? Folks never became sick
from handling them.

I can imagine a few pets or even children becoming very sick or even
dying from ingesting the coins. O_o

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was thinking that copper is used to make the full metal jacket on
bullets, I suppose copper in that form can be quite toxic along with the
lead component of the bullet? O_o

TDD

I've never seen a duck die from lead poisoning. Gun shot, sure.

What about real copper pennies from years ago? Folks never became sick
from handling them.

I can imagine a few pets or even children becoming very sick or even
dying from ingesting the coins. O_o

Because of toxicity?

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2013 4:55 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 09:11:28 -0400, "Tomsic" wrote:

I remember reading articles about famous restaurant chefs. Some of them
said, proudly, that they "only cooked in copper pots". On our farm, my
mother made jam, apple butter, boiled sweet corn and rendered lard in a
large copper pot over an open fire. That was 65 years ago. No one in our
family of 5 was afflicted with Alzheimers or dementia as they aged.

Tomsic

I interviewed some ancestors raised on a farm. They actually had a
half-dozen eggs for breakfast, fried bacon, biscuits and gravy - stuff
folks say will kill you.

They lived a long healthy life. When asked what they ate in 1921,
moving to another state - the answer was "anything we could kill!"

Tough and rugged people born on a farm.

Those salt of the earth folks also got a lot more exercise than we
modern weenies get. Hell, even a grandma from back then could whup
your grown ass. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tomsic wrote:
"gregz" wrote in message
I wonder if handling copper is good.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265012.php

Greg

I remember reading articles about famous restaurant chefs. Some of
them said, proudly, that they "only cooked in copper pots". On our
farm, my mother made jam, apple butter, boiled sweet corn and
rendered lard in a large copper pot over an open fire. That was 65
years ago. No one in our family of 5 was afflicted with Alzheimers
or dementia as they aged.

Which clearly proves it could never happen.

Not!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
Tomsic wrote:
"gregz" wrote in message
I wonder if handling copper is good.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265012.php

Greg

I remember reading articles about famous restaurant chefs. Some of
them said, proudly, that they "only cooked in copper pots". On our
farm, my mother made jam, apple butter, boiled sweet corn and
rendered lard in a large copper pot over an open fire. That was 65
years ago. No one in our family of 5 was afflicted with Alzheimers
or dementia as they aged.

Which clearly proves it could never happen.

Nope. Just a data point.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
[...]

There may well be other factors that enter the picture, including genes.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2013 9:47 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 19:23:09 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

wrote:

I was thinking that copper is used to make the full metal jacket on
bullets, I suppose copper in that form can be quite toxic along with the
lead component of the bullet? O_o

TDD

I've never seen a duck die from lead poisoning. Gun shot, sure.

What about real copper pennies from years ago? Folks never became sick
from handling them.

I can imagine a few pets or even children becoming very sick or even
dying from ingesting the coins. O_o

Because of toxicity?

Probably intestinal blockage or tearing before toxicity. ^_^

Sorta like being caught dead by "high velocity lead poisoning" by
being in a "drive-by body piercing zone", like Chicago, Detroit, or
any such Democratic Mecca.

A burglar I caught in my office/warehouse some years told the police he
was a victim of a drive by ass whupping. After I stomped the vermin
until he quit twitching, I thought he was dead and I was about to toss
his corpse into a distant dumpster but the critter came to when I
started to drag him out to the truck. I made him crawl down the hall,
out the front door into the middle of the street then I walked back
inside, locked the door and told no one. For some reason, I never had
anymore break ins. I can't do any ass kicking anymore, hell I have
trouble fighting stairs so I suppose I must get a few firearms again.
I'm wondering what gun I'd be able to operate with my arthritis since
the only pistol I ever found that fit my hand was a .50 cal Desert
Eagle. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was thinking that copper is used to make the full metal jacket on
bullets, I suppose copper in that form can be quite toxic along with the
lead component of the bullet? O_o

TDD

I've never seen a duck die from lead poisoning. Gun shot, sure.

What about real copper pennies from years ago? Folks never became sick
from handling them.

I can imagine a few pets or even children becoming very sick or even
dying from ingesting the coins. O_o

TDD

YOu can get zinc poisoning from eating current coins. When I was still
working Psych we had a kid come in from the state hospital who took the
term "snack money" literally. We actually had to transfuse him twice
before we could get hemoglobin up to where they could operate. Took out
almos $20 when the opened him up and that didn't include the $6.75 he...
shall we say passed.. during the three days we were tuning him up.
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/24/2013 7:29 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Cheech & Chong had a comedy routine where a fellow is complaining about
his son Heimie shoving everything up his nose. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 18:52:53 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 8/23/2013 4:55 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

I used to hide the switch. The would make me go cut another and if it
wasn't good enough I had to cut another one.

"Boy! I'm gonna beat the devil out of you." G
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/22/2013 11:15 PM, gregz wrote:
I wonder if handling copper is good.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265012.php

Don't worry about Alzheimers, the McSugarFood is going to kill us first.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/obesity/facts.htm

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to McManBoobs so I can have a couple
McBigButt happy meals and wash them down with a 64oz high-fructose Croaka-Cola.

(That'll give my liver something to do!)
Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote:
I wonder if handling copper is good.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265012.php

The study pointed to certainly does not suggest a problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tomsic wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message
Tomsic wrote:
"gregz" wrote in message
I wonder if handling copper is good.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265012.php

Greg

I remember reading articles about famous restaurant chefs. Some of
them said, proudly, that they "only cooked in copper pots". On our
farm, my mother made jam, apple butter, boiled sweet corn and
rendered lard in a large copper pot over an open fire. That was 65
years ago. No one in our family of 5 was afflicted with Alzheimers
or dementia as they aged.

Which clearly proves it could never happen.

Nope. Just a data point.

Which by itself is absolutely useless.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 8/23/2013 4:55 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

Dad, why did you whup me?

You were thinking about doing something wrong boy.

Such was life in the old days. O_o

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Every fracking thing in our environment is toxic. Too much water can
kill you, too much sunlight can kill you, too much oxygen or CO2 can
kill you, eating too much of anything can kill you. The human body is
in a fight for its life every minute of the day because so many things
and microscopic critters are trying to kill it. I spoke to some doctors
about aluminum in pans and antiperspirants leading to Alzheimers
disease. One physician told me that the most exposure to aluminum is
from antiperspirants rather than aluminum cooking pots and pans. So
there is so much conflicting research on the toxicity of anything in our
environment that it makes you want to live in a bubble but wait, is the
bubble made from anything that's toxic? O_o

TDD

One of the biggest killers is malaria. The ban on DDT might be
the most harmful of the over reactions to environmental concerns.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 8/23/2013 4:55 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

There is nothing worse than having to go cut the implement of a
switching. It teaches humbleness and humility. A hickory switch was
not available. But a guava switch will wear you out. Limber, smooth
bark, and will wrap around those tiny legs. I climbed trees to avoid
a switchiin'. Image fire ants biting your legs :-\

Now days it is child abuse (according to the radicals). We survived
it, didn't we!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

Now days it is child abuse (according to the radicals). We survived
it, didn't we!

And see how you turned out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 13:14:17 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Oren wrote:

Now days it is child abuse (according to the radicals). We survived
it, didn't we!

And see how you turned out.

You betcha. Don't you love it. I'm not a radical; unlike yourself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/24/2013 2:31 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

[...]

Yea, The Silent Spring is one where you hear only the buzzing of insects
and no laughter of children. O_o

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 08:29:46 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

YOu can get zinc poisoning from eating current coins. When I was still
working Psych we had a kid come in from the state hospital who took the
term "snack money" literally. We actually had to transfuse him twice
before we could get hemoglobin up to where they could operate. Took out
almos $20 when the opened him up and that didn't include the $6.75 he...
shall we say passed.. during the three days we were tuning him up.

We had a guy claiming to be eating "razor blades". Stated he broke
them in tiny pieces.

Medical staff put him on a bread and water diet just in case.

"Can't you see the space ship in my cell?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Oren wrote:

Now days it is child abuse (according to the radicals). We survived
it, didn't we!

And see how you turned out.

You betcha. Don't you love it. I'm not a radical; unlike yourself.

I'm far from a radical. I'm just not anywhere near a right wing radical like
many posters here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was thinking that copper is used to make the full metal jacket on
bullets, I suppose copper in that form can be quite toxic along with the
lead component of the bullet? O_o

TDD

I've never seen a duck die from lead poisoning. Gun shot, sure.

What about real copper pennies from years ago? Folks never became sick
from handling them.

I can imagine a few pets or even children becoming very sick or even
dying from ingesting the coins. O_o

TDD

Get real TDD. What are the water lines in your house?

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Oren wrote:

Now days it is child abuse (according to the radicals). We survived
it, didn't we!

And see how you turned out.

You betcha. Don't you love it. I'm not a radical; unlike yourself.

I'm far from a radical. I'm just not anywhere near a right wing radical like
many posters here.

Golly Bob, that puts you in the camp of left wing radicals, right?

Who are the "many posters here" that are radicals?!

Follow your arrow.

Copper or? Gomba Home Repair 15 August 5th 12 01:30 AM
copper-plastic-copper - any drawbacks? [email protected] UK diy 4 October 20th 09 02:29 PM
Fernco/Mission couplers for copper to copper? Dan Lanciani Home Repair 1 January 28th 07 11:26 PM
Fernco/Mission couplers for copper to copper? Dan Lanciani Home Ownership 1 January 28th 07 11:26 PM
Copper Zipper Metalworking 0 March 9th 05 08:04 PM