Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Copper or?

Putting in fridge ice maker line. Only big thing I see is not use plastic.
Would you use braided line or copper? Same with a dishwasher line.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 30, 5:34*pm, "Gomba" wrote:
Putting in fridge ice maker line. Only big thing I see is not use plastic..
Would you use braided line or copper? *Same with a dishwasher line.

Thanks

FWIW, I've had a couple of copper line failures and zero plastic line
problems over the years. Might have to do with more moderate water
pressures in our area. Next humidifier installation gets all plastic
in a couple of months.
Careless workmanship is often the culprit in small water line failures
also, from what I've seen. Follow directions and use finesse and most
anything will work as intended.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 18:34:23 -0400, "Gomba" wrote:

Putting in fridge ice maker line. Only big thing I see is not use plastic.
Would you use braided line or copper? Same with a dishwasher line.

Thanks

I'm biased and prefer using PEX.

http://www.pexsupply.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 16:41:16 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

It is hard to beat the stainless braid over hose.

I had one of those on a water heater output spring a leak after less than 2
years.

I still have rubber braided lines on my water heater. They are on the
second water heater. Nary a leak. Nor with any SS braided line I've
installed in the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gomba wrote:
Putting in fridge ice maker line. Only big thing I see is not use
plastic. Would you use braided line or copper? Same with a
dishwasher line.

The professional would probably use copper: it's cheaper.

'Course he might do several hundred a year.

If you've done, oh, 100 or so, go with the copper (assuming you have the
tools). Otherwise use the stainless braided product.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gomba" wrote:
Putting in fridge ice maker line. Only big thing I see is not use plastic.
Would you use braided line or copper? Same with a dishwasher line.

Thanks

Lucky I was home near the leak on the plastic line. I don't see how those
fittings could possibly work right. Copper works pretty good.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 30, 2012 3:34:23 PM UTC-7, Gomba wrote:
Putting in fridge ice maker line. Only big thing I see is not use plastic..

Would you use braided line or copper? Same with a dishwasher line.

Thanks

I’m constantly amazed at the impudence of some technicians who use plastic and the homeowners who tolerate their work and don’t sue the pants off of them when their hardwood flooring, carpet and gypsum walls are water damaged from a leaking ice maker line. I have seen the compression connectors on the ends leak but I have never seen a copper ice maker line leak. I use copper but I flare the ends and use flare unions or flare connectors and I leave lots of coil behind the refrigerator so that the refrigerator can be moved without compromising the connections. Plastic lines may be ok in countries where the water pressure is 20 PSI but not in the US where it is 50 PSI or more. As for the stainless steel braided lines, those are basically plastic or rubber with a steel braid around them. It would take over fifty years for a copper line to wear out but a plastic line will erode or dry out and crack in much less time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Gomba wrote the following on 7/30/2012 6:34 PM (ET):
Putting in fridge ice maker line. Only big thing I see is not use plastic.
Would you use braided line or copper? Same with a dishwasher line.

Thanks

Where did you see 'not use plastic'?

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/30/2012 9:45 PM, wrote:
[...]

I've got plastic on my own (76psi) and on three of our rentals (65psi).
No problems with any of them. That's what those line kits are
designed for. duh.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 30, 2012 3:34:23 PM UTC-7, Gomba wrote:
Putting in fridge ice maker line. Only big thing I see is not use plastic..

Would you use braided line or copper? Same with a dishwasher line.

Thanks

I hope that you deem the courtesy of apologizing to me when one of those starts to leak soon; unlike other people who haven’t.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 30, 2012 3:34:23 PM UTC-7, Gomba wrote:
Putting in fridge ice maker line. Only big thing I see is not use plastic..

Would you use braided line or copper? Same with a dishwasher line.

Thanks

I hope that you deem the courtesy of apologizing to me when one of those starts to leak soon; unlike other people who haven’t.I hope that you deem the courtesy of apologizing to me when one of those starts to leak soon; unlike other people who haven’t.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 18:34:23 -0400, "Gomba" wrote:

Putting in fridge ice maker line. Only big thing I see is not use plastic.
Would you use braided line or copper? Same with a dishwasher line.

Thanks

I've had a plastic line on my fridge for 25 years with no problem.