Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] recyclebinned@gmail.com is offline

Default Copper or?

On Monday, July 30, 2012 3:34:23 PM UTC-7, Gomba wrote:
Putting in fridge ice maker line. Only big thing I see is not use plastic..

Would you use braided line or copper? Same with a dishwasher line.

Thanks

I’m constantly amazed at the impudence of some technicians who use plastic and the homeowners who tolerate their work and don’t sue the pants off of them when their hardwood flooring, carpet and gypsum walls are water damaged from a leaking ice maker line. I have seen the compression connectors on the ends leak but I have never seen a copper ice maker line leak. I use copper but I flare the ends and use flare unions or flare connectors and I leave lots of coil behind the refrigerator so that the refrigerator can be moved without compromising the connections. Plastic lines may be ok in countries where the water pressure is 20 PSI but not in the US where it is 50 PSI or more. As for the stainless steel braided lines, those are basically plastic or rubber with a steel braid around them. It would take over fifty years for a copper line to wear out but a plastic line will erode or dry out and crack in much less time.