Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Copper

On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 12:51:52 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 8/24/2013 9:21 AM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 18:52:53 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 8/23/2013 4:55 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 09:11:28 -0400, "Tomsic" wrote:

I remember reading articles about famous restaurant chefs. Some of them
said, proudly, that they "only cooked in copper pots". On our farm, my
mother made jam, apple butter, boiled sweet corn and rendered lard in a
large copper pot over an open fire. That was 65 years ago. No one in our
family of 5 was afflicted with Alzheimers or dementia as they aged.

Tomsic

I interviewed some ancestors raised on a farm. They actually had a
half-dozen eggs for breakfast, fried bacon, biscuits and gravy - stuff
folks say will kill you.

They lived a long healthy life. When asked what they ate in 1921,
moving to another state - the answer was "anything we could kill!"

Tough and rugged people born on a farm.

Those salt of the earth folks also got a lot more exercise than we
modern weenies get. Hell, even a grandma from back then could whup
your grown ass. ^_^

TDD

I used to hide the switch. The would make me go cut another and if it
wasn't good enough I had to cut another one.

"Boy! I'm gonna beat the devil out of you." G

Dad, why did you whup me?

You were thinking about doing something wrong boy.

Such was life in the old days. O_o

TDD

There is nothing worse than having to go cut the implement of a
switching. It teaches humbleness and humility. A hickory switch was
not available. But a guava switch will wear you out. Limber, smooth
bark, and will wrap around those tiny legs. I climbed trees to avoid
a switchiin'. Image fire ants biting your legs :-\

Now days it is child abuse (according to the radicals). We survived
it, didn't we!