Posted to alt.home.repair

Default older deadbolt

I have an older deadbolt lock set that need new door knobs. The deadbolt
in a wrought iron gate that my in laws have built over thirty years ago.
It was made by a local dealer in Davenport Iowa.

The only name visible on the face plate is "Watch." My searches have not
produced any satisfactory results.
The lock has a toggle switch that enables or disables the outside door
knob from opening the door. It also has a keyed lock.
The items that I need are the door knobs but they must have a square shaft
that is 5/16" x 5/16" x 1-1/4" long.

I have uploaded a couple pictures that provide a little more description.
If anyone has an idea where I should may have a chance to replace the
parts I would be most grateful.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...lt-758880-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd suggest you research Usenet. This is not a
web forum.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/10/2013 12:45 PM, SPapaG wrote:
--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...lt-758880-.htm
using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to home and garden related groups

Senior Member

I would talk to some of the well established locksmiths in your area. They would probably know what happened to the company that made the lock and if replacement parts are still available.

Also, where I live, locksmiths will keep old locks they remove for customers so that they can be used for parts. It's very possible that some of the locksmiths in your area will have the parts you need.
Posted to alt.home.repair

SPapaG wrote:
I have an older deadbolt lock set that need new door knobs. The
deadbolt in a wrought iron gate that my in laws have built over
thirty years ago. It was made by a local dealer in Davenport Iowa.

The only name visible on the face plate is "Watch." My searches have
not produced any satisfactory results.
The lock has a toggle switch that enables or disables the outside door
knob from opening the door. It also has a keyed lock.
The items that I need are the door knobs but they must have a square
shaft that is 5/16" x 5/16" x 1-1/4" long.

I have uploaded a couple pictures that provide a little more
description. If anyone has an idea where I should may have a chance
to replace the parts I would be most grateful.

You could check for local used building material stores.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/10/2013 10:45 AM, SPapaG wrote:
I have an older deadbolt lock set that need new door knobs. The deadbolt
in a wrought iron gate that my in laws have built over thirty years ago.
It was made by a local dealer in Davenport Iowa.
The only name visible on the face plate is "Watch." My searches have not
produced any satisfactory results.
The lock has a toggle switch that enables or disables the outside door
knob from opening the door. It also has a keyed lock.
The items that I need are the door knobs but they must have a square shaft
that is 5/16" x 5/16" x 1-1/4" long.

I have uploaded a couple pictures that provide a little more description.
If anyone has an idea where I should may have a chance to replace the
parts I would be most grateful.

Not obvious how the knobs attach to the shaft. Try some locksmiths. This
should not be difficult.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 16:45:01 +0000, SPapaG
wrote:

I have an older deadbolt lock set that need new door knobs. The deadbolt
in a wrought iron gate that my in laws have built over thirty years ago.
It was made by a local dealer in Davenport Iowa.

You call it a deadbolt lock SET. which is correct, but four times or
more you use the term deadbolt. FTR, the deadbolt is the part that
is locked with the key. It's rectangular and not triangular.

The part that uses the doorknobs is not a deadbolt. Maybe it's
called a latch. We also called it a slam-lock, but in this case,
it's not a lock. (except that toggle you mention would make it a lock)

I don't want you to emphasize deadbolt so much that people say, "I
don't have one" when they really do.

(In 1967, I had '50 Oldsmobile and I needed a part, from the front
suspension. The moment I told the parts guy 1950, he said, "I don't
have it." Finally one guy had it and it was only a dollar. Turns out
they had used the same part from 1930 and were still using it 37 years
later. Called a stabilizer link. They might still use them, though
probably not of the exact same dimensions, like they did for 30
yeasrs)

The only name visible on the face plate is "Watch." My searches have not
produced any satisfactory results.

I expect that many locks used t he same knobs and shafts, and it
doesn't have to be Watch. .

The lock has a toggle switch that enables or disables the outside door

You say toggle switch and I think an electric switch so you can
control this from the inside of the house. How cool. While it might
meet the def. of a toggle switch, I would call what you have a button,
because the much more common style for this part of a lock is a set of
two brass buttons. Even "toggle" would be better than "toggle
switch". but there may be a better term than any of these.

knob from opening the door. It also has a keyed lock.
The items that I need are the door knobs but they must have a square shaft
that is 5/16" x 5/16" x 1-1/4" long.

Doorknobs and square shafts are separate items. Always, afaik. Do
you need doorknobs or do you need a shaft?

*****And what do you think is wrong with them? This is my most
important question, because the rest of my post depends on my guessing
correctly what the problem is. You don't say.

I think the shafts in your doorknobs either pull out or unscrew out of
the knobs. (Perhaps they only pull out when they are the wrong shaft
for the knob, or when the threads are worn, but I'm pretty sure in my
grandmother's drawer in 1960 were knobs with shafts that pulled out.
There were also those which screwed out. ) But I think you have
already unscrewed the shafts quite a bit. Maybe you want to screw
them back in, so they are not too long and you can put the knob right
up agaisnt the door. Aren't the shafts sticking out too much now?
Did you or someone unscrew them since you removed them from the door?

The shaft is more than 1 1/4" YOu're just measureing the part that
isn't in the doorknob,

Are the holes in the ends of the shafts threaded? Were the two halves
of the shaft ever connected to each other? Like with a headless
screw? Probably not, but I never got straight how that worked, but
some shafts are like that. Not sure what happens when the connection
is gone. Does one of your knobs work and not the other? Please
tell me what the problem is.

If you get exact replacmenet knobs, you can probably take the current
shafts to use in the new knobs.

Is one knob bent? The first picture makes it look like it's
sagging. If that is the problem, someone used to bending metal
might be able to straighten it without making it worse. Maybe he
would just use his hands or maybe he'd make a jig to hold the base
down and just use his hands on the knob. If the shaft was too long
after this, you could remove the shaft and grind it a little shorter.

I have uploaded a couple pictures that provide a little more description.
If anyone has an idea where I should may have a chance to replace the
parts I would be most grateful.

Definitely find a store that recycles building supplies. When houses
are torn down, people donate (or sell?) a long long list of things
that other people need. . There's one in Baltimore called iirc
Second Chance, and it has lots of brass doorknobs, probably just what
you need. And shafts. If you ever get straight exactly what you
need, you might be able to do business remotely. Where do you live?

In NYC, there was one just across the Connecticut border that sold
really big things, but it must have sold little things too. (A friend
took me there once) You could see it on the right when coming from
NY, from the parkway or xway or whatever is closest to Long Island
Sound, and if you got off at the next exit, it wasnt' hard to go back
to the store. It had loads of stuff outside too, things too big to go
inside. Arches and turrets and things that go outside. It's been
almost 40 years so it might not be there.

You can also check ebay for vintage door knobs . They don't seem
expensive, but most don't look like yours. Antique door knobs may be
more expensive.

Deadbolt for old door David Nebenzahl Home Repair 35 December 19th 14 04:33 AM
deadbolt misaligned badgolferman Home Repair 3 November 2nd 08 09:31 PM
Remove Deadbolt Bob Simon Home Repair 2 March 22nd 08 07:30 PM
deadbolt Patt Home Repair 10 March 14th 07 11:01 PM
Baldwin DBL Deadbolt???? cm Home Repair 5 August 5th 04 06:12 PM